6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 3:56 AM by VW59

Reverse Text Printing Problem

VW59

Using Pagemaker 7, Mac (10.3, and 10.4) and PC (Windows 2000), have always used reverse text, ie black on white, by selecting "Paper" as the text colour.

Trying to print to a new Xerox 4112 printer with Fiery RIP, and reversed text is not printing out. Just a black box (which should be behind the text.)

The reversed text prints fine to other printers on the network.

Changing the font makes no difference.

Using the most up-to-date printer drivers and PPDs.

Any suggestions please? I am using a fix by allocating a colour to the text (say - yellow) and then editing the color to zero yellow. The text then prints OK but I'd rather not have to keep checking through files to edit the paper colour!

Still waiting (several hours) for Xerox Software support to ring me back!

Anyone come across this problem please?

VivW.

• 1. Re: Reverse Text Printing Problem
          Jay Chevako Level 3

It sounds like the black is overprinting, check the settings under fill and stroke.

How did you manage to run Pagemaker on (10.3 and 10.4)?

Jay

• 2. Re: Reverse Text Printing Problem
            VW59 Level 1

Hi Jay,

Pagemaker runs on Mac under 10.3 and 10.4 in Classic mode. We also use InDesign but nearly all of our archived files have been worked in PM so continue to use that for a lot of work, also it's so quick and easy to use for basic formwork and stationery. OK you have many more options for design fiddling in Indesign but Pagemaker imports, links and updates to Photoshop and Illustrator stuff so easily. Have been running Pagemaker since version 1 on an Apricot.

Don't think it is an overprinting problem as the black box background to the text is behind the reversed out text.

Xerox are scrachting their heads about this.

Cheers

VivW

• 3. Re: Reverse Text Printing Problem
              Jay Chevako Level 3

It's been a while since I had a mac with classic mode available. ID imports Photoshop and Illustrator files much better than PM, support for native illustrator files and alpha channels in Photoshop files are huge steps forward and huge timesavers.

With overprinting on it will not matter if the black box is below the text or not. Can you post a pdf of the problem page? And or see if in printing from the pdf text knocks out?

Jay

• 4. Re: Reverse Text Printing Problem
                VW59 Level 1

Hi Jay,

I've tried making a PDF (and I attach one) but still the same problem, the white text does not show when printed to the Xerox - it does show on all the other printers here.

I also coloured the box a 100% tint of black (normal black overprints by default) and set the 100% tint of black not to overprint - but still had the same problem.

I then tried to print out a normal black separation (as opposed to a composite) and the reversed out text does print in this instance (hooray!).

So, I know have two "fixes" but not a complete solution which would be for the Xerox to print out white text on black (frm a composite) as every other printer in the building does.

Regards,

VivW

• 5. Re: Reverse Text Printing Problem
                  Jay Chevako Level 3

The pdf works fine on a xerox 4520 (B/w printer). It sounds like your rip is chanaging the overprints.

With Id I will create a new black swatch from scratch called Knockout black to avoid the automatic overprints, see if that will work.

Jay

• 6. Re: Reverse Text Printing Problem
                    VW59 Level 1

Hi Jay,

Xerox have found exactly the same problem on this printer with Pagemaker and have decided its a bug. They say they will report it and maybe there will be a patch issued.

I guess in the meantime I am stuck with one of two fixes - either allocate another colour and desaturate the colour back to white, or print a black separation rather than a composite. It makes for an interesting life!

Thanks for all your suggestions. We'll move on to InDesign fully when the old faithful G4 Powermacs give up and Classic is no longer available.

Regards,

Viv