5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 8:15 AM by Reynolds (Mark)

Adjustment Layer should work as a cut mask on Groups

PS-D. Level 1

It would be great if it would be possible to make Adjustment Layers work as Cut Masks on Layer Groups.

E.g. I have several layers of an object where I want to change the color and a background which should not be affected by the Adjustment Layer.

At the moment I have to set an Adjustment Layer as a Cut Mask for each Layer and have to do it over again if i want to do changes.

• 1. Re: Adjustment Layer should work as a cut mask on Groups
          Zeno Bokor Level 6

just move the adjustment layers in the group, above the layers you want to affect and change the blend mode of the group from Pass Through to Normal (or anything else for that matter) and why not just make a single thread and add all your requests in there?

• 2. Re: Adjustment Layer should work as a cut mask on Groups
            PS-D. Level 1

1st: Is it meant as an idea or an advice? If it's an idea I'd prefer my idea because it's the same behaviour as with layers. If it's meant as an advice it simply does not work.

2nd: Because it is easier to keep an eye on each feature/topic or request.

• 3. Re: Adjustment Layer should work as a cut mask on Groups
              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Your terminology not correct, there is no such thing as a "CUT mask" in Photoshop - do you mean clipping? your description of your problem is also difficult to understand because you do not seem to know the correct terms.

"I have several layers of an object where I want to change the color and a background which should not be affected by the Adjustment Layer." now - learn about Clipping groups and group structure. Your "background" probably needs to be OUTSIDE the main content group

Zenos helpful advice is correct, and the best idea PS-D. To, repeat, if you move all your layers into a group, change the groups blend mode to normal. Put your adjustment layer(s) at the top of the group. You then have to change only the adjustment layer settings to alter everything within that group. You see Groups have the advantage that they can be embedded within each other, and masked or blended independantly.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Adjustment Layer should work as a cut mask on Groups
                PS-D. Level 1

That well be as I work with a german version of Photoshop. I found this term on a website where all commands are translated.

If you want to affect a only a single layer is it called clipping? (Cmd+Alt+g is the Shortcut)

Sorry, you are both right. It is really strange. I tried it several times but it didn't work. Now it works.

• 5. Re: Adjustment Layer should work as a cut mask on Groups
                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Thats Ok, translations are difficult. Yes thats what used to be called 'clipping group'. Generally "clipped" to describe this layer relationship is still used because the word "Group" is now used for layer folders.