10 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 6:24 PM by sfjedi

Transformation handles within zoom area

PS-D. Level 1

Wouldn't it be usefull to have the transformation handles within a zoomed area?

While transforming large images at 100% view I have to scroll from the outer edge to make changes to the area where I can see if lines are straight vertical or horizontal. Often over and over again.

In most cases I prefer to use the Transformation function rather than the lens correction filter.

It's faster and without scrolling it would be even more fast.

• 1. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Command Shift 0 will take you to the edges of your transform box wherever it is, even if its outside the document area. It may also help also if you have your Navigator panel open when you are transforming. Make the panel quite large and you will see that this makes control a lot easier. Scrolling in Photoshop is wonderfully well implemented, and intuitive with the space bar

• 2. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
            PS-D. Level 1

Thank you.

I still think this is more effort than my feature request. The Navigator Screen is placed on my second Monitor. I only use it to determind where I am in a very large Document with a glance.

Cmd ->Shift->0 (Cmd->Alt->0=mac?) just gets me to the view of the entire image. But it is not that precise as working in 100% px view.

Scrolling is really easy in PS indeed.

What I meant is not to switch or scroll while doing transformations. I'm happy to do several transform options with help of shortcuts.

Thank you, regards PS

Nachricht geändert durch PS-D: missing r

• 3. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
              harry teasley Level 1

You can open a second window of your active doc and have that one show you the portion of your image where your transform handles are.

The trouble with doing something like displaying the transform handles in a zoomed area of the image is making them scale in a manner that makes sense: how much do you scale the image by moving the handle one screen pixel at 600% zoom, versus moving the handle one screen pixel at 100% zoom? How do you handle edge snapping?

It could lead to unexpected behavior, which is something the PS devs have repeatedly said they try to avoid.

• 4. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
                PS-D. Level 1

Thank you.

I see. Maybe it would work if edge snapping is turned of.

The precision would be the same as if you zoom in and out while transforming. I can't figure out what unexpected behaviour could appear but maybe it would help to restrict you to work in the percentage of zoom you where when activating transform. Display transform handles should be an option then.

I don't know how to open a second window of my active document.

• 5. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
                  harry teasley Level 1

Window > Arrange > New Window for <active image name>. It can be at a different zoom than your other windows.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
                    Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

You can turn snapping on and off any time while within transform using one of these two techniques - the shortcut Command Shift ; which toggles it off or on completely. Or by using the Control key ( mac Control I mean). While this is held it will disable snapping to edges. Not sure what the PC equivalent is, probably right clicking.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
                      Zeno Bokor Level 6

to temporarily turn snapping off just hold down the Ctrl key(should be Command on mac), no need for any other keys. So say you make a selection and then Ctrl+drag it to temporarily get the Move Tool and move the pixels. To get snapping while doing this you have to release the Ctrl key after you started dragging. If you want to get rid of snapping then press and hold the Ctrl key again. This works for anything that snapps in Photoshop

Of course the problem with this is that when transforming the Ctrl key also does other things but this can be negated by right+clicking while transforming and selecting Scale for instance

• 8. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
                        sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

The trouble with doing something like displaying the transform handles in a zoomed area of the image is making them scale in a manner that makes sense: how much do you scale the image by moving the handle one screen pixel at 600% zoom, versus moving the handle one screen pixel at 100% zoom? How do you handle edge snapping?

It could lead to unexpected behavior, which is something the PS devs have repeatedly said they try to avoid.

Harry, you're onto something with your logic, but that doesn't mean these logical problems can't be overcome. Problems like this come to the surface EVERY DAY for a programmer and this one is no exception.

The question is, could this feature be useful? I personally haven't needed this particular feature as I normally work in web or otherwise screen resolutions, but I can imagine how useful it could be to many users. I support this request.

Your solutions are great tips and workarounds, but the feature request is still viable.

• 9. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
                          harry teasley Level 1

sfjedi wrote:

Harry, you're onto something with your logic, but that doesn't mean these logical problems can't be overcome. Problems like this come to the surface EVERY DAY for a programmer and this one is no exception.

I recognize that. My intent is to point out that there's been a consistent concern with adding features that do not behave intuitively. Not every feature can be made to be intuitive enough, and I suspect that this might be one. I could be wrong, of course.

• 10. Re: Transformation handles within zoom area
                            sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

Not every feature can be made to be intuitive enough, and I suspect that this might be one. I could be wrong, of course.

I understand your concern, but are you somehow doubting the creativity of the Adobe programmers to make this intuitive? Or just all programmers in general? In my experience, working alongside other programmers I would definitely have my doubts as well, but hopefully they have some bad@ss programmers there that can make this useful.