11 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 1:10 PM by Ed.Macke

Is zip a lossless compression?

RedSanders Level 1

I have external hard drives to which all of my video files are backed up.  However, they are not always kept off site.  One of the less expensive online backup services zips files stored with them.  One source at http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/video3.htm says that ZIP is a lossless compression, but wanted confirmation here before making a decision on using their services.  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, ZIP is lossless. Now, with Video/Still Assets, i.e. AV files, JPEG's, etc., do not expect much compression with ZIP, or any archiving program. Best to either burn data DVD's, or pick up some external HDD's

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
            RedSanders Level 1

Hunt, thanks for quick reply.  Didn't give details, but already following your advice - have external drives that mirror the videos files stored on my internal drives.  They all remain in AVI format.  The online service claims to offer "unlimited" storage for $5/month (in a zipped format).  However, I have just sent a query to them asking if my almost 2 terrabytes of video exceeds their definition of "unlimited".   When I posed the same question to other services claiming to offer the same - i've never heard back from them.  Waiting to see if I hear back from this new service.

• 3. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Please share your findings.

I've heard of restaurants that advertise, "all you can eat." When the patron reaches a certain limit, a big burley cook comes out and informs them, "and I say that is all you can eat... " [Grin]

Hunt

PS forgot to mention that in some cases (image/AV files), a ZIP'ped file might actually be a bit larger. However, this is a case of their required format.

• 4. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
                Kodebuster Level 3

$5 bucks a month for unlimited storage, where do I sign up.

If it's true, they would have my attention.

The problem may also be the time involved to upload/download T-bytes of data, some ISP's limit the tranfer rates for their basic monthly charge...

• 5. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
                  RedSanders Level 1

I am referring to https://www.backblaze.com/ Still no reply from them, but will post here if one received.

• 6. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

I would second Hunt's suspicion.

A little Googling will reveal many cases of providers (whether online backup services like Carbonite or ISPs like Comcast) offering "unlimited" storage / traffic but terminating accounts that exceed their definition of "unlimited".

Even *IF* a service offered true unlimited backups, other things to consider are exactly how long it would take to upload 2TB and also whether you trust an online backup service to be around when you need them (the web is littered with online backup services that have gone bust).

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed, I'm with you. I would rely on such a service as a backup to my backups - only. Even with a DSL connection and FTP services, the time could be quite long. I also like immediate access to my Assets. It's like having my wine stored elsewhere, besides my cellar. If I want a bottle of Ch. XXXX, I do not want to have to drive across town, or wait for Fed-X to get my wine to me. Wine storage facilities go bust too. Same for my Assets.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

From the Backblaze Terms of Use:

Backblaze reserves the right to terminate or suspend accounts of users who violate these Terms of Service or who Backblaze deems, in its sole discretion, to be “abusers.”

I'm just guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it deemed, in its sole discretion, that 2TB was "abuse".  I think almost all online backup services have this "weasel clause".

• 9. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
                          RedSanders Level 1

Well, apparently even asking is abuse - they are the same as all of the others - no reply.  My first inquiry some months ago was with Carbonite.  Tried others since then, same response = no response.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments

• 10. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
                            Ed.Macke Level 3

Yeah, I was going to make that recommedation, too, that online should only be a backup to your backup. Good call.

Upload speeds could be especially limiting. I regularly get 3MB download with my measly DSL, but it's rare to even approach 500K upload.

• 11. Re: Is zip a lossless compression?
                              Ed.Macke Level 3

They're probably not too keen on putting in writing that "unlimited" doesn't really mean "unlimited".