37 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2009 12:08 PM by joshtownsend

Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?

joshtownsend Level 2

All they said at NAB was RED that and RED this. I haven't been around past couple weeks. Wondering if I missed out on an announcment.

• 1. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Usually announcements start when the update has been shipped.

• 2. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

The best I have seen mentioned is end of May, but that is second hand info. I have not seen an official announcement.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Josh,

My guess is that there will be an Adobe presence in the forum the instant that it is available, or moments before. Same happened with the previous updates. With the clamor here, I feel pretty certain that Adobe will wish to "feed the wolves," as soon as they can.

Wondered where you'd gotten off to.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                joshtownsend Level 2

Harm Millaard wrote:

Usually announcements start when the update has been shipped.

Nothing is being shipped (I'm sure you knew that though), but there were announcements months ahead of time for the CS3.1 update.

http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2007/11/

Also they were talking about the 4.0.1 update and it's RED support weeks before it ever came out.

Not to argue with you but it's been done before

Hunt, been in production hell and I've been learning Final Cut Pro so I can be more compatable with the bigger post studios. They snicker when I tell them I cut on Premiere. Time to broaden my horizons now that I can sneak into After Effects through XML.

• 5. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Not to be obtuse, but with Adobe:

I've got to see it, said the blind

• 7. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Josh,

In time, they will get over it. Back in the very early days of Photoshop, I had a couple dozen clients on Mac. Some were adverse to my even touching the images on my PC. Maybe they feared gremlins of the swine flu? They all said that PC corrupted all images and they refused to even touch them afterwards. I "let it slip" that I had gone over to Mac, and there was never any complaint on any image that I handed off. In their cases, it was just an ill-founded bias. However, they were firmly convinced that PC's were "the devil's work," and shunned them like a plague. Go figure...

Take care, and hope that you left your boat on the banks of the River Styx,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                      joshtownsend Level 2

Your right but I don't have time to wait. I managed to snag some big projects and have to work with these guys. It's not the snickering so much as the fact that nobody at any of the 'big' post houses even have Premiere and if they do they laid off the guy that knows how it to work it. It's either AVID or FINAL CUT PRO. I was really hoping ADOBE would step up to the plate with Premiere CS4 but I honestly don't think they even care about getting Premiere into the big studios like they did with AE and Photoshop.

Truth is, now that I'm working on real projects I need to be able to send a project file to my collaborators at the post houses and it's just plain to much work with Premiere. Right now.

Things might change eventually but I have to worry about my career right now.

If Apple decided to release Final Cut Pro on PC it would become the NLE to rule them all. Besides all the stupid Adobe-stuff, setting a 5-10 seat networked system with Premiere just doesn't work. It's a joke. Avid and FCP have them beat hands down. It doesn't even seem like Adobe is trying to sell it as a PRO NLE just look at the advertising on the websites. You can find quotes from proffesionals talking about how they used Avid or FCP to cut there 100 million dollar feature. Nothing like that on Premiere's page, they just act like it's a program for everyone who owns a $300 HD camcorder.

Sorry about the rant.

• 9. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                        fuaho Level 1

"...they just act like it's a program for everyone who owns a $300 HD camcorder."

Yep! And then they don't support even those very well, so what is their market???

IMHO, I think this "update," if it is not massive and capable of addressing the incredible number of problems of the CS4 release, will be the end of PrPro. As you say, there is no capability to handle large amounts of material through networking. That is still Avid's strongpoint.

And I agree completely that if FCP becomes available for the PC, you will never even hear of Premiere "Pro" (Ha Ha Ha) again.

Maybe we'll all be surprised. Then again...

• 10. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                          tclark513 Level 3

And I agree completely that if FCP becomes available for the PC, you will never even hear of Premiere "Pro" (Ha Ha Ha) again.

Totally disagree!!!  I use both and would pick Premiere every time.

• 11. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                            Eric Addison User Group Manager

Everyone from Adobe, and I think in the press release, said (while I was at NAB) that the update would be coming at the end of May. Have some patience - it'll be here soon. I am also anxious to get it, but I'd rather them take their time and get it right then release something that only half works and causes all new bugs.

Josh, it's a smart move to learn FCP. As someone who used to do a lot of freelance editing, I had to learn it because that's what most people cut with. I had one producer here in town, after telling him I cut with PPro, tell me, " I'm sorry" and he said it like I had cancer. Now that I run my own place, I can use whatever I want, and I run all Adobe stuff because I think it's better. My clients could care less what I cut with - they only care that it's good. But I think any freelancer would be a fool not to learn FCP, and even AVID.

Adobe does have some big people that they promote as using PPro and Production Premium. Go to http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/customers/

As for FCP coming to Windows....I'd bet it'll never happen. Apple makes computers...that is their core product. As long as FCP is only on Macs, people will have to buy Apple computers. But you're right - if they did release a version for Windows, it'd be huge....don't know that'd I'd switch over completely, but I'd buy it.

As for all the RED talk, yeah - RED is an emerging market...and one that could be huge. If Adobe gets the best RED workflow, you may just hear more stories about how this Hollywood feature and that indie Sundance film was cut on PPro.

• 12. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                              joshtownsend Level 2

fuaho wrote:

IMHO, I think this "update," if it is not massive and capable of addressing the incredible number of problems of the CS4 release, will be the end of PrPro.

Hope nobody no 'suite' from Adobe reads that. It might get delayed another couple months

fuaho wrote:

As you say, there is no capability to handle large amounts of material through networking. That is still Avid's strongpoint.

Well if there was a strong market for it 3rd party companies could fill that gap. Red Giant hasn't updated Colorista to work Premiere CS4 and it's been 8 months. The market isn't there. It works for After Effects CS4 and the latest version of Avid and FCP but then again there's a huge professional market out there for those programs.

fuaho wrote:

Maybe we'll all be surprised. Then again...

Not sure about 'ever again' but at least it would force them to stop treating Premiere like an ugly red-headed stepchild it's ashamed of.

Adobe should do a total rewrite of the Premiere software even if it takes two years. They NEED to go back to BETA testing. Do like Microsoft did with Windows 7 give people a year with it and get it working right. It was obvious to that those of us that bought Premiere in late October that WE were the beta testers.

I still believe 1000% that all Adobe needs to do is add a simple NLE to After Effects and it would be the killer app. I don't use Premiere because it's the best NLE, it's not, I use it to get into After Effects without losing a single generation. With my new FCP projects, Premiere has become a portal to AE (no more automatic duck). That's the whole they're digging themselves into.

I say all this but I love Adobe for AE, Audition and Photoshop. I deal with Premiere so I can make better, more efficient use of those apps.

• 13. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                joshtownsend Level 2

Eric Addison wrote:

As for FCP coming to Windows....I'd bet it'll never happen. Apple makes computers...that is their core product. As long as FCP is only on Macs, people will have to buy Apple computers. But you're right - if they did release a version for Windows, it'd be huge....don't know that'd I'd switch over completely, but I'd buy it.

As for all the RED talk, yeah - RED is an emerging market...and one that could be huge. If Adobe gets the best RED workflow, you may just hear more stories about how this Hollywood feature and that indie Sundance film was cut on PPro.

Sup Eric,

Agree about apple.They suck *** for using Pentium chips and not letting is use Final Cut Pro. At least we got Pro Tools.

As for Red. They cost a good bit (at least till Scarlet comes out and is widely adopted - whenever that is) and if it's being used on stuff with a decent budget they'll spend the money on the Avid/FCP to Scratch workflow. Because it's already set in place. Besides if Premiere wastes that much time worrying about a workflow for a camera that has sold maybe 5,000 units then Premiere is definitely going down the drain.

Remember when Adobe kept promising the 4.0.1 update on a certain date then it got delayed for AE's update? Final Cut Pro came up with a workflow out of nowhere and released it and the date Adobe missed. That was a sad day for Adobe.

That said, the most fun I ever had was grading RED footage in AE.

• 14. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

They snicker when I tell them I cut on Premiere.

That's just wrong.  You should be snickering at them for using a Mac.

But hey, next time they giggle, inform them of the following:

“We had a shoestring budget for Peter and the Wolf, yet we were able to create a world-class animated film,” says Producer and Line Producer Alan Dewhurst. “Adobe software, especially Adobe Premiere Pro, enabled us to create an award-winning  animated short [2008 Oscar for best animated short film], while keeping our costs for editing and production to a minimum. We had extensive experience using Adobe software, and we knew that it could accomplish the massive amount of work this film would require."

"Director Bryan Singer, Visual Effects Supervisor Mark Stetson, Visual Effects Producer Joyce Cox, and a large number of visual effects artists around the globe needed to make the "Man of Steel" fly, see through walls, repel bullets, and save the world. The talented artists on the movie [Superman Returns] chose Adobe Production Studio software to complete a significant amount of their work, including Adobe Premiere® Pro, [emphasis added]."

"Using Adobe Premiere software, students [University of Southern California (USC) School of Cinema-Television] can precisely edit their work, dragging and dropping frames into the exact sequences they desire. The smooth integration between Adobe Premiere and the other Adobe applications makes it easy for students to create new content, incorporate it into their films, and rework materials to produce professional-quality results."

• 15. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe should do a total rewrite of the Premiere software even if it takes two years.

They did.  That's why the name changed from Premiere to Premiere Pro and started at version 1.0 -  to highlight the fact that this was a total rewrite.

• 16. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      ...if Premiere wastes that much time worrying about a workflow for a camera that has sold maybe 5,000 units...

I don't know, man.  I thought I recall reading from Jan over in the DVX forums that even the Panny 200 or 170 types have sales in those same ranges.  Caught me a little by surprise.  I thought such things would sell in the hundreds of thousands.

So if memory serves, RED sales in those same ranges definitely are cause for Adobe to perfect a native RED workflow, especially one that seems as easy as what I've seen in video demos.

At the very least, a native and easy RED workflow could be just the thing to push Premiere into the big leagues.  Then you'll be snickering at the post houses that have to render their footage into and out of After Effects, where as you use Dynamic Link and get the work done instantly.

• 17. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                        joshtownsend Level 2

I know around 10-20 people who are dvx's and HVX's and not a single person who owns a RED. I'd say 50,000 units sold at least for Panny.

Here's some Sony sales numbers from 2007

21,000 XDCAM sales worldwide - with 6,000 XDCAM HD sales in its inaugural year
                                        31,000 HDCAM sales worldwide – including 3,400 HDCAM SR
                                        4,300 live production camera sales globally
                                        6,100 switchers sold around the world - including 1,100 HD models
                                        370 SXRD 4K projectors sold

• 18. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

It's very possible she said 50 and not 5.

Still, you gotta admit the leg up Premiere will have with a native, easy RED workflow.  Of all the ways to give it a major boost in the 'professional' comminuty, this would definitely be one of them.

• 19. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Off on a tangent here, but the recent issue of American Cinematographer has an article on shooting with the Red, and also some action sequences shot with little Canons (IIRC). Interesting stuff, if one is contemplating a Red workflow.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

That does sound interesting.  But I could find no way to read it for free, or without signing up.

• 21. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                Thrill Media Level 2

Might want to look at this: http://hdfilmtools.com/2009/04/news-not-from-nab-2009-red-digital-cinema-announces-red-roc ket/

I am excited to actually see what the PP update offers.  Can't wait!

• 22. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                  "...and will sell for under $5,000."

That's kind of a non-starter for me.

• 23. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                    Thrill Media Level 2

Yeah, me too.  I was just bringing it up because of the Red workflow comparisons and the fact that it is FCP, AVID and PP.

• 24. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

If you cannot find it online, drop me an e-mail, and I will snail-mail my copy to you. I'm done with it.

Hunt

• 25. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                        joshtownsend Level 2

That's pretty cool and cheap as hell for the quality footage it excelerate. If you have money for a project that needs to be shot 2k or 4k it's a bargain. Or if you spend 30k plus lenses(5k and up) on a RED ONE, 5 grand to edit the footage realtime is a bargain. I'm not even going to think about Scarlet because it doesn't exist yet. And, as RED is so fond of saying, EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

You guys might be right, Adobe is tackling Red head on, maybe Prpro will make become a real industry app. Problem is, the only edge it has over Avid or FCP is AFTER EFFECTS and photoshop.

• 26. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I think it's other 'edge' is native editing.  No waiting for transcodes or rewraps, fully functional online editing of the native media.  That's a big plus in this future world of solid-state recording.  What use eliminating capture if you then have to wait for Intermediary files before editing?

• 27. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?

joshtownsend wrote:

You guys might be right, Adobe is tackling Red head on, maybe Prpro will make become a real industry app. Problem is, the only edge it has over Avid or FCP is AFTER EFFECTS and photoshop.

I think Adobe is smart to be reaching out to RED users. The technology (and company for that matter) is still in it's infancy, and could be a game changer in Hollywood. Every month, I read in trade magazines how more and more productions are shooting with RED. If Adobe can get a top-notch workflow for RED footage, they just may capture some of the ground FCP and AVID has. But it has to be better then what everyone else has.

And all this great RED development must coincide with PPro improving as well. It must become more stable with larger projects, become more stable over all, get more 3rd party support in the way of plugins and hardware, and overcome the bad reputation that it has carried with it since the old pre-Premiere Pro days. I think that last one is starting to go away, but the others are things Adobe has to work on. If they want to compete for Hollywood type projects (and I get the feeling they do), they have to make improvements to PPro in a few areas.

I will say this too - I am starting to see a few more mentions in trade magazines of PPro being used on projects. I read one such mention today. It used to be that finding an article about a production that used PPro to edit was like finding a needle in a haystack.

And I think it has more of an edge then just AE and Photoshop...I think it's native workflow is such a huge positive.

• 28. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                              Alan Craven Level 4

ProDad released their update for Mercalli for Premiere CS 4.1 on 29 April!

They at least must know what changes there are in this long awaited update - at least as far as third party plug-ins are concerned.  It appears from the release notes that version 4.0.1 disabled some aspects of the third party plug-in operation.

• 29. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                                don solomon Level 1

Jim,

The trouble is that the rewrite and consequent upgrades have been half assed and buggy for a long time--relative to what one expects of a high end professional product.  IMO the one truly professional quality app is AE--PS is a close second.  Adobe has put the energy and resources into those two, and it has not done so with many of its other apps.  Adobe has focused far too much on have an oar in every stream--and that has meant that many of those applications are aimed at the prosumer level or below.

They package and repackage their truly pro products to insure cashflow, wrapping them up in suites that we buy to get the best prices on the pro quality stuff--for me AE and PS are the magnets.  Most of the rest of the suites never see my machines.  There is real competition, and better products, being produced by companies that have picked a niche and produce high quality specializsed products that are simply more bang and reliability for the bucks than their counterparts in Adobe suites.  For instance, we just finished a massive presentation product for Blu Ray containg 800 still images and a lot of short clips--avii, mpeg, etc.  Lots of motion, layers, audio.  The prime application we used was proshow Producer. Fast, and a lot more effective than the slow workflow that would have been required using Premier as the prinipal application.

As I see it Adobe is spread far too thin as it is.  To expect them to wow the NLE market with a 4.1 update is pure wishful thinking (hopeful thinking might be a better term).  They had a much better opportunity with the initial CS4 release---and what did they do.  The usual, released a product that was not ready for prime time, far short of that.   So instead of amending the Adobe reputation for hyping markets with new features that have been poorly realized in engineering and seriously buggy, they simply reinforced it once again.  Professional Studios and editing houses simply cannot afford to chance using products that carry that reputation.  Adobe needs to get serious with Product quality and development--they can sell half assed new features and bugs to the dedicated and those willing to burn time and effort on workarounds, but not to high end production houses and companies.

And just getting it right won't be good enough--to overcome the lock FCP and Avid have, PPro will have to be significantly better.  Who is going to change horse unless they get a far better animal.  All this would be a huge leap for Adobe and would require a corporate transformation of major proportions.

• 31. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                                  joshtownsend Level 2

http://www.editshare.com/ and automatic duck are teaming up to make FCP and AVID work seemlessly in a studio networked evironment. No mention of Premiere.

• 32. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Why am I not surprised, given Adobe's track record to date and Don's very good post?

We can only hope that Adobe sees value in improving PR. Up to now they are always catching up to the competition, at least trying to, and they have never had significant success in that catching up game.

• 33. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

http://www.editshare.com/ and automatic duck are teaming up to make FCP and AVID work seemlessly in a studio networked evironment.

That's a little confusing becuase I know a local Time Warner news station has been using Avid in their networked studio for probably a decade now.  Given it's Hollywood roots, where many people work on a single project, Avid has always been good at such things.

• 34. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?

For those who like to say that Premiere Pro can't handle feature length projects and doesn't have any presence in Hollywood, I came across this...

http://www.studiodaily.com/filmandvideo/technique/9021.html

Sure it's a small indie film, but it proves that PPro can handle a feature length film...

(from the article)

" ...So I had to recut that back in using Premiere. I conformed this whole movie, laid in the subtitles, output the HD QuickTimes for 424 Studios [in Los Angeles] where we did the final audio mix, and then I did the audio layback — right in Premiere. How cool is that?”

Cool enough that Graff has already lined up a Premiere angle for workflow on the next GigaPix feature, which starts shooting in February: “We’re going to have Premiere on each one of these disk recorders, and when the director wants to have something assembled on set we’re going to do it like that, right on the disk recorder: full-resolution, 4:2:2 to his monitor. You can edit the whole movie on set if you want.”

It is possible people...

• 35. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                                          joshtownsend Level 2

Bet Adobe hates the sub heading for that article. "When high-end tools don't fit.."

They're saying Premiere isn't a 'high-end tool' just perepetuates my belief that the industry still thinks of Premiere as something only wedding shooters use.

Good article. Notice they still cut in the feature in Avid. They only used Premiere as a finishing and conforming system. Put subs on it and to cut back in footage that was messed up. That's really good thinking out of the box but it's not like they actually cut they movie with it. They used Premiere because at the time it was one of the few programs that accepted D-20 files.

Funny thing is they couldn't do what they did with CS4 because the AJA xena drivers aren't out yet. (they will be soon, it was anounced at NAB). If they had to do the same thing for another movie they'd have to use CS3. Sad.

Wish I had Iradis SPEEDGRADE like they used in the article. Though having to replace every cut in Premiere like they did would suck.

Not saying movie can't be cut in Adobe (I cut Gainesville Ripper on CS4 and I'm even doing the CC and composites on Windows 7).

• 36. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?

joshtownsend wrote:

Bet Adobe hates the sub heading for that article. "When high-end tools don't fit.."

They're saying Premiere isn't a 'high-end tool' just perepetuates my belief that the industry still thinks of Premiere as something only wedding shooters use

Yeah  - I agree. I've mentioned it before, but that's one of PPro greatest challenges...overcoming the perception that exists in many peoples mind. I recall speaking with someone high up on the PPro team once, and he asked me about if I thought they changed the name would be people (mainly Mac users) be willing to check it out - this was right after PPro 2 was released - no Mac version yet. That tells me that they were at least thinking about changing the name and removing the "Premiere" stigma.

Good article. Notice they still cut in the feature in Avid. They only used Premiere as a finishing and conforming system. Put subs on it and to cut back in footage that was messed up. That's really good thinking out of the box but it's not like they actually cut they movie with it. They used Premiere because at the time it was one of the few programs that accepted D-20 files.

Right. they didn't do the actually edit of the film with it, but it goes to show that to many of the folks who show up on this forum, bashing PPro for not being up the challenge of cutting a feature - it can be done. It's capable of handling a large project. I know you, Josh, have cut a feature with it, as have others. They do mention at the end of the article how they are developing a workflow for the next film around PPro: “We’re going to have Premiere on each one of these disk recorders, and when the director wants to have something assembled on set we’re going to do it like that, right on the disk recorder: full-resolution, 4:2:2 to his monitor. You can edit the whole movie on set if you want.” 

And you're right about the drivers for AJA...Adobe should have had all those things lined up for the initial release. I think Adobe really, really needs to get away from this "release new versions of all the products at the same time" methodology. They should release the products when they are ready. But that point aside, I wanted to point this article out just to show - PPro can handle a feature film length project, it can take in an EDL from AVID, and mosty importantly - it works...granted this was CS3, but I think the same would hold true for CS4 - especially after the 4.1 update and the AJA support.

What's the status of your film, Josh? Any way for those of us here to see it?

• 37. Re: Any word on the 4.1 update? A firm date or specs?
                                                                              joshtownsend Level 2

Jeff, we wasted a few weeks trying to get the OMF files from Premiere to link up to the media in ProTools. The studio is in Tampa and we couldn't get it worked out. I started to get crazy so we decides I would just render out each track and they're gonna chop them up. So they just got a reel Friday to start work. The music is fleshed out so they decide what sound design of mine to use and music then add there own stuff. They have a foley pit and have a day planned for footsteps.

I got an amazing deal for around 15 grand for foley, music, sound design and mix. They have to work after hours and weekends because of the cheap price. They stuff I've heard so far is amazing.

Not sure about the OMF problem they used ProTools 6 (adobe thought that was problem) but I brought it in Sonic, cubase, nuendo and tried rerendering the OMF's. They could see the timeline and clip names but coulod link up to the media. Nobody here in Jacksonville has the digitranslator plu-in for Pro-tools so I couldn't work on the problem from my end. Just gave up, need to start getting into some of these fests..... They said there were protool and Avif .aaf improvements in the new 4.1 update.... I even tried .aaf into avid but it didn't work (because of the p2 files it looked like)

I have some password protected reels and footage on vimeo email me if you want to check some of it out. It's about a guy killed 5 college girls while I was in High School 1990 Gainesville Florida. True story kinda horror flick, but fairly stylized (in an original way I'd like to think) joshtownsend@gmail.com   www.gainesvilleripper.com

Here's a link to the post-house http://www.ronrose.com/