8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2009 1:33 PM by sfjedi

Clicking a Layer to Transform, etc.

sfjedi

Another great feature I miss from Corel PHOTO-PAINT is the ability to click directly on a layer with the move tool once just to selec the layer, 2nd to go into transform mode, a 3rd time to go into perspective mode and a 4th time to go to some kind of warp mode where you can move the corners wherever you want. Click it a 5th time and it just goes back to the transform tool. Click on another layer or on the background or outside of the document to deselect.

This allows me to tweak a layer without using any keyboard shortcuts whatsoever! I can kick my feet up and just use one hand to do lazy design work if I feel like it! Sweet!

Thanks for listening

• 1. Re: Clicking a Layer to Transform, etc.
          Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

Are you using Photoshop or what?

• Select Move tool (V)
          • on Control palette under your menu bar you have few checkboxes....
          • Auto-Select - allows you to select layer or group when you click on it
          • Show Transform Controls - shows transform controls on selected layer
          • when you click on transform controls on select layers it enters layer transfotmation like when you press Control+T

is it really that hard?

tomaxxi

• 2. Re: Clicking a Layer to Transform, etc.
            sfjedi Level 1

tomaxxi wrote:

Are you using Photoshop or what?

is it really that hard?

Nice try, tomaxxi (another cocky, condescending Photoshop apologist that doesn't even address the problem).

Here's the thing–I'm already 100% aware of the features you've pointed out, but it doesn't address the transform and perspective modes. In fact, clicking on the layer a 2nd time doesn't "cycle" through any modes at all! That's what this request is about!

I'm also aware that once you're in transform mode (CTRL+T), there's another button that shows up "Switch between free transform and warp modes". Unfortunately, this button doesn't show up with the "Show Transform Controls" checkbox checked. You *still* have to hit CTRL+T to see this button.

Either way, neither of these solutions addresses this feature request at all! The request is to *cycle* through transformation modes (transform, perspective, warp, then back to transform).

It's a feature request forum–not a workaround forum (not that your post even does *that*).

• 3. Re: Clicking a Layer to Transform, etc.

Well, here we go...

You are right, Corel PHOTO-PAINT is for lazy designers...

Did you ever tried what I told you? Because you don't even "address" this feature...

It does address the transform and perspective, and it does even more...

You *still* have to hit CTRL+T to see this button.

Really? I never tried that...

So, let's get started...

We have image, with two layers... Background is selected...

We check two check boxes to enable single click layer selection with first checkbox,

and with second, we show transform controls...

img01.jpg

just one click on layer, and it's selected...

it's still really easy... is it?

img02.jpg

when we see transform box... simply click on corner, or middle controls,

and start dragging to enter transformation mode...

You *still* have to hit CTRL+T to see this button.

NO, I don't have to hit CTRL+T...

img03.jpg

img05.jpg

and, if you want some other option....

just simple right-click and select deformation mode...

you don't have to remember how many clicks you have to do to go in specific tool...

img04.jpg

and, well, if you are advanced user, you can use some scripting, or Configurator,

to create your palette and put some shortcuts on for your lazy work...

keep your lazy work going....

tomaxxi

• 4. Re: Clicking a Layer to Transform, etc.
                sfjedi Level 1

*yawn*

I was talking about this button...

Untitled-2.png

What part of "I'm already 100% aware of the features you've pointed out" did you not understand? You *really* didn't have to take all those screenshots in vain.

tomaxxi wrote:

You are right, Corel PHOTO-PAINT is for lazy designers...

Lazy designers.... efficient designers–it's all the same thing if you ask me. You like to throw around the word "lazy" like it's a bad thing, but we are lazy beings by nature. That's why we trip on the sidewalk sometimes when there's the slightest bit of variation in the sidewalk, because we walk in strides just above the sidewalk to conserve energy. It's innate.

I don't want to be asked the same question every time I do a particular task. I don't want to be presented with 3 alert boxes in a row. I don't want to click 4 times when 2 of those times are completely unnecessary! These are the types of things Adobe has in their software that drive me mad. Apologize for Adobe if you want, but it's inefficient (i.e. bad logic).

tomaxxi wrote:

Did you ever tried what I told you? Because you don't even "address" this feature...

I *did* address this feature by saying I understood 100% what you were talking about. It still doesn't solve the issue though. Nice grammar, BTW.

tomaxxi wrote:

keep your lazy work going....

I'll take that as a compliment.

• 5. Re: Clicking a Layer to Transform, etc.

cool, then just say, "this feature exists, but I don't want to use it"...

why? because in drop down menu you have Warp option,

and all options for transforming objects...

and if you count clicks, you have less then in your

favorite Corel PHOTO-PAINT, and it's more efficient...

These are the types of things Adobe has in their software that drive me mad.

and I think that your main suggestion on this forum

is to make Photoshop like Corel PHOTO-PAINT...

but I hope that will never happen...

if you really like Corel PHOTO-PAINT, then go back, and work with it...

tomaxxi

• 6. Re: Clicking a Layer to Transform, etc.
                    sfjedi Level 1

tomaxxi wrote:

cool, then just say, "this feature exists, but I don't want to use it"...

Dude, you're being ignorant and assuming stuff. I *do* use the feature of which you speak, but I would like an *additional* feature added that would not change the way *you* do things in any way, shape or form! For you, just don't click on the layer more than once and you won't see a difference!

Now, if your argument is that Adobe should NEVER give more than one way to do a particular function, by all means make that argument, but it won't get far because it's utterly absurd! There's a whole slew of features in Photoshop that you can do in 2 or 3 different ways. That's all I'm proposing for this feature–another way!

and if you count clicks, you have less then in your

favorite Corel PHOTO-PAINT, and it's more efficient...

No, actually, the way you mention requires one more logical step. Let me break it down for you.

Adobe Photoshop (with "Auto-Select: Layer" and "Show Transform Controls" checked):

1. Click on the layer.
                    2. Hit CTRL+T for Transform (maybe this counts as 2 steps?)
                    3. Right-click on the layer.
                    4. Select Warp.

Corel PHOTO-PAINT (with no special options checked on the move tool):

1. Click on the layer (resize, squash, stretch and flip mode).
                    2. Click on it again (rotate, skew and relative center mode).
                    3. Click on it again (warp mode).
                    4. One more time (perspective mode).

Now, I'm not claiming that Corel's method is more efficient in "all cases"; however, it's clear that the warp mode is definitely more efficient (i.e. less logical steps to enter this mode) than Photoshop. More specifically, I can sit back and relax, driving with only the mouse! No need to sit up-right in my chair for keyboard shortcuts. If I'm in the dark, which is pretty common for me to be getting work done at 2-4 A.M., I don't even have to look at the keyboard or turn on a light to see what I'm doing–just 3 simple mouse clicks and I'm in business!

and I think that your main suggestion on this forum

is to make Photoshop like Corel PHOTO-PAINT...

but I hope that will never happen...

However, I've never made *any* feature requests that suggests Photoshop strips itself of certain functionalities which don't exist in PHOTO-PAINT. The only requests I've made are to add to Photoshop's existing features, some of which don't exist in either PS or PP! You would be a fool to ignore good features that exist in similar software!

More importantly, what is it that you have against this feature request? Will it hurt your production workflow in some way? No. If anyone here has a hidden agenda, sir, it's you! Here I am with a CorelDRAW balloon as my avatar, showing everything on the surface. Too bad you feel threatened by that.

if you really like Corel PHOTO-PAINT, then go back, and work with it...

For efficiency's sake, that's exactly what I've been doing. The only thing I use PS for these days is lens correction, healing brush and photo-merge. When it's not so inefficient I might consider changing my workflow.

• 7. Re: Clicking a Layer to Transform, etc.
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Adobe Photoshop (with "Auto-Select: Layer" and "Show Transform Controls" checked):

1. Click on the layer.
                      2. Hit CTRL+T for Transform (maybe this counts as 2 steps?)
                      3. Right-click on the layer.
                      4. Select Warp.

Corel PHOTO-PAINT (with no special options checked on the move tool):

1. Click on the layer (resize, squash, stretch and flip mode).
                      2. Click on it again (rotate, skew and relative center mode).
                      3. Click on it again (warp mode).
                      4. One more time (perspective mode).

As far as I see having this kind of thing as an OPTION wouldn't take anything away. So its a fair enough Feature Request.

The only serious disadvantage to this idea, is that it encourages destructive editing. So leaving it on would make many designers destroy their source material without knowing the option was on, or what they were really doing. Of course Photoshop now allows non destructive transformations with Smart Objects, and there would be no option to turn elements into Smart Objects before applying these 'multiple click' transforms.

Another thing I have asked for a few times which I will repeat here - is an Ignore Adjustment Layers When Auto-Selecting option. An additional checkbox in the move tool maybe.

• 8. Re: Clicking a Layer to Transform, etc.
                        sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

The only serious disadvantage to this idea, is that it encourages destructive editing. So leaving it on would make many designers destroy their source material without knowing the option was on, or what they were really doing.

And I totally agree that we should prevent destructive editing at all costs (until the user specifically says they want to flatten the image or whatever), so if there's a way to implement features like this or modify existing ones to behave in such a way that they are *not* destructive, that would be ideal. Maybe even a warning (that you can turn off) that explains that this method is a destructive one.