10 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2009 8:09 PM by SiSLA

Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ

joshtownsend Level 2

Been testing Windows 7 beta since it came out and spend the last few days testing the RC of the 64 bit version. I compared it to a Vista 64 install on the same machine  Asus P5q q9550@ 3.7 and 8 gigs ram.

It's about 5-10 percent faster based on my testing opening and rendering Premiere, AME and AE project. The biggest surprise was tiny problems I had with Premiere CS4 on Vista 64 completely disapeared. Wow.

Just figured I'd let you guys know. I finished a few projects on it the past couple of days and couldn't be happier. So much faster......... and free for 10 months or so.

• 1. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Took me all day to download the ISO today.  I'm currently backing up all my important data, and will be installing the 32 bit RC on my personal machine.  I like the extended free usage.  The paid version will be available before this RC runs out.

• 2. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
            Phil Griffith Level 2

I loaded windows 7 64 also. So far, everything is working great. Premiere cs3 is running faster than with Vista.

Only problem I have is Hollywood fx software. the program by it self, works ok in win7. but the plug in with prm cs3 won't work. Keeps saying can't acces license something or another. I use it enough in still photos as transitions. that it is a frustration.. But I could live without it, if that's what it takes.

• 3. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
              Jim_Simon Level 8

There must be something about me that subconsciously gravitates towards being a rebel.

When Vista came out, there was a lot of negativity from industry experts.  I finally tried it and was pleasantly surprised to find all that criticism fully unwarranted.  For me, Vista loaded and ran like a champ, and was a far better OS than XP ever dreamed of being.

Now, industry experts are praising Windows 7, claiming it was the OS that Vista was meant to be, a big leap forward in compatibility, speed and stability.  But I'm finding that Windows 7 is buggy and glitchy as hell.  In just two days I've had to reboot Windows 7  because of lockups and glitches more times than I had to reboot Vista in the past six months.  I can't believe this is RC software.  For me, this is more like pre-Alpha software.  I'm very glad I tried it on my personal machine rather than a production rig.

• 4. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

You know I was against Vista for a long time, but finally installed it (I had no alternative with the upgrade to 12 GB RAM) and I still have difficulty to find any advantage in Vista64 over XP. Its slow networking, huge footprint, all the standard services loaded at boot time make it bloated and sometimes instable. I have not tried Windows 7 myself, but from what I hear from IT porfessionals it leaves Vista far behind. Far more stable, more efficient. Currently the only choices you have are either Server 2008 (which may be suboptimal for editing) or Windows 7 RC if you want to leave Vista. That your system runs OK with Vista, and possibly better than with XP may have to do with the corruption that every system experiences after heavy use. That blasted registry is what is wreaking havoc on all systems and you may be comparing an old XP installation with a new Vista installation, thus comparing a corrupted registry with a rather clean one. Another thing to consider before you pass judgement is your hardware. With each new OS hardware demands are increased and more tuned to modern mobo/CPU combo's to take advantage of all the new developments.

I don't like to install beta/RC software on my system (I'll wait for the final version), but from the reports I get, I'm tempted.

• 5. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
                  Kona Bob Level 2

I'm reading that you can install Win 7 64 over Vista 64- that it will basically "upgrade" to Win 7 64, as opposed to clean install, reload all programs, drivers, data, etc.

Is this really plausable, or more likely the kiss of death???

• 6. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

One way to be sure about it: try it. But it seems plausible,

• 7. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
                      joshtownsend Level 2

Worked fine for me when I installed the original Beta. Didn't have to re-install a thing. When I installed the RC I did a clean install. I love the WIndows 7 installer.

• 8. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I still have difficulty to find any advantage in Vista64 over XP. Its slow networking

Your networking situation is a bit more complex than mine.  All I have is three machines on a router.  But I did find Vista's network performance superior to XPs.

you may be comparing an old XP installation with a new Vista installation, thus comparing a corrupted registry with a rather clean one.

Actually, all three machines (2 XP, 1 Vista) were rebuilt from scratch at the same time, so this was not a factor in my comparisons.  Vista just plain kicks XP's *** in a normal home environment.

• 9. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm reading that you can install Win 7 64 over Vista 64 - Is this really plausable, or more likely the kiss of death???

A fair question.  I installed 7 as an upgrade, not a clean install.  I find it less than stellar.

• 10. Re: Windows 7 RC 64bit - Working like a champ
                            SiSLA

It is a kiss of that to install CS4 on Windows 7, IF you are a video editer.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1953104