26 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 12:29 PM by Reynolds (Mark)

Selecting layers within the document

PS-D. Level 1

this is something which worked until CS4 and still works with some tools.

If you want to select a layer within the document window you can still use CTRL->ALT->CMD (mac) and click on a not transparent part e.g. with the Move Tool and you jump to the Layer (except there is an Adjustment Layer in-between. This doesn't work with Brushes and Brush like tools like the Stamp Tool anymore. I miss this possibility.

I would also like to jump directly to a Layer mask e.g. using SHIFT->CTRL->ALT->CMD with any tool

• 1. Re: Selecting layers within the document
          sfjedi Level 1

I really like this request. I just posted a similar one about being able to program just a standard click without any modifiers (CTRL, ALT or SHIFT) to select a layer.

You bring up a good point about the adjustment layer being in the way. Programmatically though, this shouldn't be a hard obstacle to overcome. Just ignore adjustments layers!

Great request!

• 2. Re: Selecting layers within the document
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Guys - in CS4 press and HOLD the V key. Now also hold down the command (control) key will auto select layers. This will work whatever else you are doing at the time.

You can also set the move tool options to auto-select and this will mean at any time just pressing and holding V, you Auto select layers. Release the key and you are back to whatever tool you had selected before.

Now, I agree here A GOOD FEATURE REQUEST. "Ignore adjustment layers when auto selecting"- that's something which is not available at the moment and probably should be

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Selecting layers within the document
              sfjedi Level 1

Thank you for the tip! The auto select checkbox is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Very awesome!

Yeah, I already knew about the CTRL+click, but the checkbox is really what I was looking for. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                PS-D. Level 1

Thank you both.

@ Mark: Thank you for this advice, i defenitly need to get used to it and learn more about the way I used PS since Version 2.

What about 'directly jump to Layer Masks'?

• 5. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                  Zeno Bokor Level 6

Ctrl+\ will select the layer mask and Ctrl+2 to get back to the layer

• 6. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                    PS-D. Level 1

I seem to do something wrong.  There is no backslash on my keyboard. To create a \ I have to hit Alt+Shift+7 on a mac.

I managed to hit (Cmd = Ctrl for mac) Cmd+Alt+Shift+7 and the mouse at the same time within the document and nothing happened.

• 7. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                      harry teasley Level 1

This thread really needs to be moved to the main forum. This is the feature request forum.

• 8. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                        Zeno Bokor Level 6

you aren't doing anything wrong if the key isn't on your keyboard To see those keyboard shortcuts just select a layer with a layer mask and go to the Channels panel though i doubt that they're different from mac and win

@harry teasley

by who?

• 9. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Laptop? No backslash key, you can record an action step that will "Select Mask Channel" and assign a key to this

• 10. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                            PS-D. Level 1

After testing this I really got stuck.

Just want to understand how it works.

I want to select an area which isn't transparent within the image window to select a layer.

If I use the combination v + ctrl (v + cmd = mac) and click the area I get stuck at the parent folder of a layer.

If I use CTRL->ALT->CMD (mac) I'm able to jump to the layer within a subfolder. (an additional thing would be to reach something below of an adjustment layer)

How does it work to choose the layer's mask by clicking in the image (or maybe main window), using shortkeys then?

• 11. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Sorry for not seeing your post there PSD, this F&^cking forum is almost impossible now to keep track of.

If I use the combination v + ctrl (v + cmd = mac) and click the area I get stuck at the parent folder of a layer

There's another option for the Move tool - you need to change to Auto-select in the Options bar to Layer not Group. Many of Photoshops defaults are not set logically, -  it means that most people probably don't know that the function exists at all, because it behaves in a daft "one in ten users" way as a default.

How does it work to choose the layer's mask by clicking in the image (or maybe main window), using shortkeys then?

You can't auto select layer masks like this - for good reason when you think about it. To swap to the mask the shortcut is command \ -( if this key exists on PC its Control \)

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Many of Photoshops defaults are not set logically, -  it means that most people probably don't know that the function exists at all, because it behaves in a daft "one in ten users" way as a default.

In all fairness though, isn't that what you keep fighting for? For things NOT to change? Even if they are more logical/efficient? For the sake of the professionals who are used to it the way it is currently designed or the way it has been designed for the past however-so-many years?

• 13. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                                  , isn't that what you keep fighting for? For things NOT to change?

Don't mind things changing for the better, its when people start arguing for things to change for the worse that it has to be clearly shot down I think.   I was wrong to say "many". These are very minor issues, some defaults for things like tools and layer styles - in fact most of these defaults are correctly set.

• 14. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                    harry teasley Level 1

sfjedi wrote:

In all fairness though, isn't that what you keep fighting for? For things NOT to change? Even if they are more logical/efficient?

You have a staggeringly high opinion of your own suggestions. No one is fighting for lack of change, they're fighting for better change than you've yet proposed.

• 15. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                      sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

You have a staggeringly high opinion of your own suggestions.

Fewer logical steps is ALWAYS more efficient. It's not a matter of personal opinion, but fact.

No one is fighting for lack of change, they're fighting for better change than you've yet proposed.

Yet, they don't propose anything better. So until they do... you get where I'm going.

• 16. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                        harry teasley Level 1

sfjedi wrote:

Fewer logical steps is ALWAYS more efficient. It's not a matter of personal opinion, but fact.

Read for comprehension, son. I did not, and will never, dispute that idea.

But you have invested passion, and have been hugely annoying, about features which possess this virtue to an distressingly low degree. Functions that the general user will execute perhaps once or twice a day; functions that can be scripted with actions very easily, for the portion of users that invoke them more than a couple times a day. You have been passionate about functions whose sole purpose is to make PS more like a nigh-discontinued and inferior app.

It's obvious you have no real perspective, and not enough significant use of PS under your belt to know what a great suggestion is, versus what's a trivial, who-cares? suggestion.

• 17. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                          sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

But you have invested passion, and have been hugely annoying, about features which possess this virtue to an distressingly low degree.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that the feature request forum was ONLY for large and significant feature requests.

I was under the impression that Adobe wanted to make Photoshop a better product with any feature requests, great or small.

You're right. I was wrong to even suggest such small requests, even though, as you say, they do, in fact, possess this virtue of efficiency.

I suppose that if you, harry, were an olympic swimmer, you would be the guy with the full head of hair, hairy legs, etc., because shaving only reduces your time by 100ths of a second. But the thing is, even a 100th of a second CAN make a difference and you will continue to damn your own progression.

harry teasley wrote:

functions that can be scripted with actions very easily

Yet, you fail to produce any of these actions. Not one of my feature requests is solvable by a simple action or even a complicated one, because you have and always will be missing the entire point! The point is not to drive around the wall, but through it! Never slowing down!

• 18. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                                            I suppose that if you, harry, were an olympic swimmer, you would be the guy with the full head of hair, hairy legs, etc.,

Great image Jed. And you are the swimmer in full 1930's diving costume, aggravating the other swimmers.

• 19. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                              harry teasley Level 1

There. I've created a mail rule so I won't see notices that Jed has replied to threads I've participated in.

Done with you, kid.

• 20. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                                John Joslin Level 6

Some people never know when they are not welcome in a community.

• 21. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

I quite like him, and his funny wind ups - helps to have someone with a fresh eye sometimes. If he could take his diving helmet off, and listen for a moment .

• 22. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                                    sfjedi Level 1

John Joslin wrote:

Some people never know when they are not welcome in a community.

Or they know, but they just don't care.

• 23. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                                      PS-D. Level 1

So now as your personal discussions did end within this discussion, I'd like to know how to switch to layers an toggle between layers and layer's masks and not to get stuck at layer's masks or groups.

• 24. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                                        Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

I replied in Post 11 PSD. Re-read it. Auto selecting layers is easy.

As I said you can't select the MASK only directly using Auto-Select. There is (or used to be) a keyboard shortcut that will toggle layer masks, and RGB channel pixel data

• 25. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                                          PS-D. Level 1

Thank you again and I really appreciate your answer. Auto selecting layers does work!

Again this is a feature request.

A request to select layers (layer masks, vector masks, etc... at once) within the document's window.

Another example.

There is a Background as it's given by a JPG file (just one Background). I did duplicate the layer. I added a layer mask and drew a black spot.

Next step would be to flip to background, by clicking this spot to reach the background (ctrl->alt->cmd) within the added transparent area.

Like you said it's easy to get stuck on adjustment layers. I would like to reach every layer within a document's window.

• 26. Re: Selecting layers within the document
                                                            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

in CS4 you can toggle AWAY from the mask by pressing command 2 (this used to be command tilde in CS3). You can activate the mask again by pressing Command Backslash \.

Auto select will work while you are in "pixel editing" RGB channel mode. This is the most logical and sensible way for it to work.