5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 7:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Rotating a video clip and converting mp4 to avi

td06 Level 1

Hello,

Just 2 quick questions..

i'm looking to convert a mp4 file to avi, the program i usually use to convert files does not recognise mp4, what is the best way to go about this

also, i have some video clips i am adding to my premier elements production. These are rotated on the side. Can anyone please tell me how i can get rotate a video clip so that it is the right way up?

Thank you!!!

• 1. Re: Rotating a video clip and converting mp4 to avi
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For MP4 conversion, I recommend Apple's QT Pro (a US$30 upgrade to the free QT Player). Use Export to the chosen format.

For Rotation, you will want to explore the Effects, common to all Video Clips: Motion>Rotation. This can be Keyframed (dynamic), or set statically.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rotating a video clip and converting mp4 to avi
            td06 Level 1

thank you for your comment, i am new to the editing world so im unsure how to find the rotating feature.

is it in premier elements? how do i find it?

is there any other suggestion for converting as i am unable to purchase this product before i need to produce the video

thank you

• 3. Re: Rotating a video clip and converting mp4 to avi
              Paul_LS Level 4

Your best bet is to use Quicktime Pro as Hunt suggestions. There are some freeware programs such as Super. It can convert MP4 video to AVI format however if you convert to DV-AVI it only exports to a 720x576 PAL frame size (with other AVI formats you can select the NTSC 720x480 standard) but you can set the frame rate to the NTSC standard. It can be downloaded from the following link. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and ignore the AVS Converter advert until you get to "Download Super setup file": http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

In Super go to "Select the Output Container" and scroll down and select AVI, then you can select the output video and audio codecs in the adjacent drop-downs.

Otherwise you could try MPEG Streamclip, it can convert MP4 to DV-AVI (with the correct frame size) however it does not handle such a wide range of mp4 formats as Super. http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

To rotate your video in Premiere Elements select the clip on the timeline and then select the Properties icon just above the timeline (or right click on the clip and select Properties), the clip's Properties Panel will open. Then select Motion and you will find the rotate control there.

• 4. Re: Rotating a video clip and converting mp4 to avi
                td06 Level 1

THANK YOU for all your help.. it has been very useful

• 5. Re: Rotating a video clip and converting mp4 to avi
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With Paul's detail, you'll have no trouble finding the Motion Effect. Sorry that I did not paint the picture more clearly.

In Premiere, all Video Clips have several Fixed Effects. They appear with each Clip on the Timeline. These are Motion and Opacity. Within Motion, you have Scale, Position and Rotation, available via a "twirldown" sub-menu. These can be globally set for the Clip, or can be controlled via Keyframes to "animate" during the Duration of the Clip, i.e. can be made to change during play. Opacity is by itself, but can also be set globally for the Duration, or Keyframed, as well. This can be used to create fade-ins and fade-outs, or other similar Effects in the Clip.

PE ships with many other Video Effects, that can be added to the Clip, as well. Most can be Keyframed to apply their change, though a few cannot be animated. Note: when using these other, non-fixed Effects, the order of application, i.e. stacking order, can affect how the Effect is applied. Switching, say Levels to be below Shadow & Highlight, can change the result. Sometimes, the difference in the order of application of the Effects can make a MAJOR difference, and sometimes it will have no bearing on the result - always experiment with the order of application, if things are not quite what you want. The order of application of Effects is top down, from your list.

Good luck,

Hunt