0 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 12:17 AM by Harrie Frericks

Why not move ADE to the web?

Harrie Frericks

After six years of collecting ebooks in Adobe format, I can still read 4 of the 60 books I have bought. That's, uhm.... let me see..., have to get my calculator here, uhm....... yes, almost 7%!!! My experience with Adobe ebook reading programs and DRM has been exactly according to Adobe's original strategic goals:

- make DRM unobtrusive: on average users shall have to post no more than two support tickets per day. 10% of support tickets shall be replied to within one century, 11% within one millennium. At least one support ticket per century will solve the reported problem.

- make DRM rock solid: yearly ebook losses due to DRM shall not exceed 50% per year.

- make lending and borrowing books easy and transparent: users shall be able to lend and borrow at least one ebook per century without problems.  - provide a top notch ebook reader: the ebook reader shall support modern state-of-the art features like going from one page to the next, etc. 

I never thought I would get this cynical about Adobe. A great and promising medium like ebooks has been crippled and nearly killed by their DRM. I've given up hope of ever reclaiming my $1000+  investment and of being able to get some sense into their heads.

But, maybe I should make a positive product suggestion that could solve all of these problems. What about a web-based ebook reader? Here is what I would like:

- ebook purchases are stored on a central server

- DRM is also managed on a central server

- to access my library I would simply logon to the site, wherever there is a browser

- the web application has to be fast and snappy, like Google maps for instance

- books can be temporarily lent to other users - etc, etc.

It seems to me this would solve many, if not all of the problems people are having with Adobe ebooks.

Come to think of it, I will also make this product suggestion to Google. I think they are far better able to turn it into a success than Adobe.

Harrie