3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 9:07 AM by kglad

How to order elements of an array?

Dardo99

I´m trying to order elements of an array. When the dates come from dinamics text it´s no problem, bad when come from input text the dates are treated like strings and it´s imposible to order correctly, because 15 is considered less than 3. In both cases I can operate correctly whit this dates like numbers.¿How is possible to order this dates from input text, like numbers?

Thank´s

• 1. Re: How to order elements of an array?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

check the sort() method of arrays.  you can create custom sort functions and, in your situation, sort array elements like numbers using a parameter passed to the sort() method:

yourArray.sort(Array.NUMERIC);

• 2. Re: How to order elements of an array?
            Dardo99 Level 1

Thank´s

I have already done that but only works with values that i write directly in the matrix, but not with those from an input field.

Part of script used is as follows:

var my=[dato11,dato21,dato31,dato41];

If I enter de values 3,5,15,7,8 in the appropiate input fields, when I write my.sort(Array.NUMERIC);then result is: 15,3,5,7,8

If I write my=[3,5,15,7,8]; it works correctly.

I d´nt know why

Greetings

• 3. Re: How to order elements of an array?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

values from textfields are strings (even if it looks like a number to you).  there are several ways to handle this and one is to cast that string as a number before you add it to your array:

my.push(Number(yourtextfield.text));