1 2 Previous Next 67 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 5:20 AM by PimpOfPixels

File >> New From Clipboard

sfjedi Level 1

May I propose a new command, File >> New From Clipboard? I think it's pretty self explanatory. It would save some time over (1) File >> New, (2) OK and (3) Edit >> Paste. Replace 3 steps with 1!

Corel PHOTO-PAINT has done this for as long as I can remember and I've used it since version 3.

• 1. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
          harry teasley Level 1

May I suggest a single suggestion, "Turn Photoshop into Corel Photo-Paint"?

• 2. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
            sfjedi Level 1

Harry, I appreciate your sarcasm, but your suggestion would also propose that many Photoshop features be stripped down or removed if Corel PHOTO-PAINT didn't also have them.

My suggestions only aim to increase production workflow where Photoshop is lacking. Now, if you want to claim that this feature request is actually less efficient or somehow detrimental to your production workflow, please... I'm all ears.

Otherwise, you really aren't helping.

• 3. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
              harry teasley Level 1

sfjedi wrote:

My suggestions only aim to increase production workflow where Photoshop is lacking. Now, if you want to claim that this feature request is actually less efficient or somehow detrimental to your production workflow, please... I'm all ears.

I'm after you showing some evidence that you know PS sufficiently well to actually distinguish between:

a) a feature that PS lacks;

b) a feature that PS has that you don't like how it is accessed;

c) a feature that is already achievable through the general tools PS already has available, like Actions, and why your suggestion is inappropriate for that;

d) a feature that conflicts with the logic of the PS interface;

e) a genuinely new feature that would be generally useful.

So far, the preponderance of evidence is that you are very experienced with Photo-paint, and marginally familiar with PS.

• 4. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                sfjedi Level 1

a) Nobody can claim to know "everything" about PS. Myself? I've used PS a little here and a littler there for the last 10 years, but I've only consistently and seriously used it during the last 2 years for school, I tend to rely on those who have more experience before posting a discussion on this forum. The requests I've submitted have already been through 3-4 experienced PS users. So, when I say it's a feature that PS lacks, what I mean is "as far as I know and as far as these other experienced PS users know." The users I speak of are: (1) a very close artist friend of mine who uses PS on both PC and Mac every day for the last 10 years, (2) fellow classmates, (3) Photoshop instructors at the Academy of Art University. If they couldn't give me a solution, that's when I came to this forum.

b) How a feature is accessed doesn't matter to me per se, but the number of steps it takes to accomplish that feature is definitely of importance. That's when I have a problem with a Photoshop feature, when I know it can be done in fewer steps because I've seen and am intimately familiar with the logical steps that Corel PHOTO-PAINT has used to accomplish the same task. As a programmer of 15 years in at least 7 different languages, I think I'm qualified enough to make logical assessments like this.

c) Refer to b above.

d) None of my feature requests conflict with the logic of PS. Again, refer to b above. If you want to claim that my feature requests somehow conflict with the logic of PS then give me a specific example or reply to that specific discussion concerning the matter! Stop blowing smoke and give me something tangible!

e) The interactive object transparency tool (wineglass tool) is definitely a genuinely new feature (for PS). An upgrade to the current keyboard shortcuts dialog would be "generally useful." And all of the other feature requests would increase productivity and efficiency by shaving off the amount of time it takes to accomplish certain tasks.

Back to the original scope of this thread, File >> New From Clipboard. Is this going to somehow aggravate experienced PS users? Is this going to somehow decrease productivity? Does this somehow conflict with the logic of the PS interface? No! Hell, I'd put the command in there myself if the Application Menus were flexible enough to allow me to do so. But guess what... it's not! OMG Photoshop isn't God incarnate! It has weaknesses. What are you going to do? "Get over it!"

• 5. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                  harry teasley Level 1

I'm not asking you to know everything about PS. I don't know everything. But I know how to ask if a feature is present before I ask that the feature be added. Selecting layer transparency? It's there. Interactive transparency gradients? Explore layer styles, blend modes, and masks, you can do what you want with those. New from clipboard? Make an action, that's what they're for. Don't like your fit-to-rectangle zoom? Select a different rectangle.

You talk as if your ideas stem from an objectively better UI, when it's apparent to me that they're simply different. You have asked for features that you yourself declare yourself to be simply too unmotivated to learn the PS way of doing things. You want PS devs to implement things because you're too lazy to learn your app, or too lazy to mod the app, I want them to spend their time more effectively. They gave you Actions, which are meant to create a lot of the custom UI that is important to a particular user, but is much less important to the user base at large. If you had spent any time here, you'd know that: anything trivially doable as an Action is not going to get high on the dev feature list, and rightly so.

I hate it when this forum is drowned in requests that turn into "Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip!" threads. Learn the tool.

• 6. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                    Zeno Bokor Level 6

sfjedi wrote:

May I propose a new command, File >> New From Clipboard? I think it's pretty self explanatory. It would save some time over (1) File >> New, (2) OK and (3) Edit >> Paste. Replace 3 steps with 1!

Corel PHOTO-PAINT has done this for as long as I can remember and I've used it since version 3.

what do you mean replace 3 steps with 1? you don't have to hit OK with your method? and what's so hard about Ctrl+N, Enter, Ctrl+V ?

• 7. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

In this forum about half of the requests already exist in the software. Its just that people are too stubborn to accept it. People are looking for faults and holes that dont exist. They are unaware of how functional and customiseable the software actually is - most professionals I work with certainly also fall into this category. It not a fault in the software at all, its a fault in peoples nature. And one they need to get over.

An interesting discussion this. I've now been attempting to contribute to this forum for about two years most actively, first registering about eight years ago I think. The main reason I started to contribute more is that I've been seeing more uneducated and ill-informed users being taken more seriously - especially when it comes to new feature development.

"you'd know that: anything trivially doable as an Action is not going to get high on the dev feature list, and rightly so." I wouldn't bet on it Harry- some of the tweaks they are passing off as new features certainly fall into that category. My opinion is that in the last 5 or so years at Adobe even the new engineering staff seem to be uneducated about Actions, their possibilities, and the more advanced feature list.   Genuinely new functionality is getting thinner and thinner on the ground and being replaced by what are honesty just interface tweaks and 'discoverability' - Talking about features, in a recent nterview with Mr John Nack - "we dont have to add stuff" was his concluding quote. Think it may be more comfortable for them to think along these lines, but its the road to disaster if they are expecting upgrades, as CS4 has already partly proved.

• 8. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                        harry teasley Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

"you'd know that: anything trivially doable as an Action is not going to get high on the dev feature list, and rightly so." I wouldn't bet on it - some of the tweaks they are passing off as new features certainly fall into that category.

This has been stated by Adobe devs in the forum more than once: Actions are in for a reason, so that you can solve your own problems on issues like this. Having seen requests come and go, and requests that are repeated many times that still are not implemented, version after version, I've gotten a very strong impression that this remains the case. I could be wrong, but I don't get the feeling I am. And with Configurator, I definitely get the impression that many trivial UI changes are that much less likely to become part of the base product.

• 9. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Not so sure. If they could un-invent Actions, I suspect there are people who would. There must be tremendous pressure to upgrade every 1 to 2 years. So instead of development and moving forward - they are continually reinventing the interface, tweaking things like Adjustment layers (to the point that in the most recent  'upgrade' they take them downhill rather than up) - Introducing new panels who's function contains only one or two actual features. These may be just the first step. Just hope that this doesnt happen to the other best implemented things like the layers panel, - Why cant they concentrate on changing things that NEED it (like Liquify Interface, or the new 3D features)  thats what frustrates me.

If Interface changes are really such a "priority", why on earth after seven or so revisions they havent tackled the extremely old Actions Interface? Guesses welcome.

• 10. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                            harry teasley Level 1

I didn't say interface changes aren't a priority: I indicated that activities which can be trivially made into an Action are unlikely to become high priorities. An action which does Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-N, Enter, Ctrl-V is a great example of such.

UI enhancements like the Clone Source palette are a high priority: we've had the Clone Stamp tool for years, but the UI in accessing it has been limiting. Now the tool hasn't really changed, but the UI update has more fully unlocked its power. I think Adobe is on the right track with those sorts of updates. And of course the stuff I want ;-)

Liquify, Actions, yeah, those could use updating. But they can't do everything in a single update. So I'm assuming they're in line for some future love.

• 11. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                              sfjedi Level 1

Yes, replace 3 steps with 1!

CTRL+N, ENTER, CTRL+V becomes CTRL+SHIFT+N! That's how it works in Corel PHOTO-PAINT anyway.

You don't have to hit OK with this method. It just creates the new document for you and pastes the clipboard content directly into the new document.

Even if you could make it an action and assign it to a keyboard shortcut, it still wouldn't be right next to the File >> New command, where it belongs (refer to my keyboard shortcuts request that talks about editing menu bars also).

And what you guys say about Actions is silly. As if this justifies no feature improvements in the menu bar commands? If that were the case, why doesn't Photoshop just strip down all the menu bar commands to nothing and let you guys program your own menu bar commands, if Actions are so flexible! Hell, why stop there? Why not just have you guys program your own Photoshop? The answer is obvious. Actions are useful, don't get me wrong, but why should that stop Adobe from developing new commands in the future? Taking the most useful actions that users have created and packaging them with the software? Hell, I'm even a programmer and I don't want to have to program all of these commands! You calling me lazy? Yes! That's the whole effing point of using Photoshop because I'm too "lazy" to write my own Photoshop from scratch! That's the whole point of software! To be lazy!

Otherwise, what are you paying for? You're paying for Adobe's programmers to make your lives more simple!

FYI, Corel PHOTO-PAINT also has a Visual Basic Editor for as long as I can remember. You can write your own scripts, save them, and even use them in batch processing. I've found this to be extremely useful for scenarios like when I have 30 or so images that all need the same adjustment. They all need to be resized to a certain dimension, sharpened a little bit, maybe cropped a certain way. I can open the Recorder docker, hit the record button, perform the series of commands, save the script, and use it in a batch process.

I've even used it for more complex commands, like taking PowerPoint slides, extracting the foreground text as rasterized, anti-aliased text, filling a bright green background and saving it as a GIF with transparency, so it appears like a PNG transparency, but it's a lighter-weight GIF. These tools I built later became streamlined into the company's production and now saves their production staff a considerable amount of repetition and time!

To me, that's what Actions and scripting are all about, special case scenarios that literally only one person or company would be able to use.

Features like this though? Where it's not just me that could benefit? To me, that shouldn't stop at an Action.

• 12. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                sfjedi Level 1

I realize this seems trivial to you guys, but the problem with Actions is that they all go into one place! The placement of a command in the menu bar is extremely important as well and it should not be ignored. Can you imagine if every Photoshop command were an Action, all in that one menu bar? That would be a convoluted mess! Production workflow can be improved if everything is easily accessible. The less steps the better!

• 13. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

And what you guys say about Actions is silly. As if this justifies no feature improvements in the menu bar commands? If that were the case, why doesn't Photoshop just strip down all the menu bar commands to nothing and let you guys program your own menu bar commands, if Actions are so flexible! Hell, why stop there? Why not just have you guys program your own Photoshop? The answer is obvious. Actions are useful, don't get me wrong, but why should that stop Adobe from developing new commands in the future? Taking the most useful actions that users have created and packaging them with the software? Hell, I'm even a programmer and I don't want to have to program all of these commands! You calling me lazy? Yes! That's the whole effing point of using Photoshop because I'm too "lazy" to write my own Photoshop from scratch! That's the whole point of software! To be lazy!

Ok Jed - those are mostly fair points. You are not the first person to ask for "New file from Clipboard" either.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                    sfjedi Level 1

Wow! LOL! I actually didn't expect that response at all. I actually have a newfound respect for you Mark.

I also didn't realize I'm not the first person to ask for this request. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

• 15. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

FYI, Corel PHOTO-PAINT also has a Visual Basic Editor for as long as I can remember. You can write your own scripts, save them, and even use them in batch processing. I've found this to be extremely useful for scenarios like when I have 30 or so images that all need the same adjustment. They all need to be resized to a certain dimension, sharpened a little bit, maybe cropped a certain way. I can open the Recorder docker, hit the record button, perform the series of commands, save the script, and use it in a batch process.

Of course all of that was pioneered in Photoshop, and copied by Corel. Thats what Actions and scripting are for. Batches can be run using droplets, Batch command - or from within Bridge.

Photoshop is not Corel Photopaint Jed, and its pretty hard to believe that it would be better if it was.

You do need to do some homework before making requests that already exist. It would be more reasonable perhaps, if you first went into the main forum and just asked questions - THEN when you genuinely discover its not possible, add your feature request?

• 16. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                        sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Of course all of that was pioneered in Photoshop, and copied by Corel.

Where do you get this information? How do you know it's not the other way around? I'm going to look into this because I'm pretty sure ever since version 3 back in 1994, Corel has had this feature.

I will definitely take your advice in the future and ask questions in the forum before asking for a feature request. I should have known better. I apologize for bad form there.

• 17. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                          harry teasley Level 1

Fewer steps, not less.

Ctrl-Shift-N is New Layer already.

I would rather Adobe do things with improving workflow that I cannot easily do myself. I can easily make a New from Clipboard action. I can't easily Save As repeatedly to folders different from my source PSD. Do you see the difference? When you have the power to fix your workflow, then fix it. When you don't have the power to easily smooth the workflow, those are requests that are worth making.

• 18. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Jed I'm pretty sure it wasn't the other way round. - It was 1996 in Photoshop version 4 that you could set up Actions - a major move forward, and implemented very deeply, meaning that more or less any non-conditional steps could be automated EASILY. I also remember thinking at the time that it was unique, but I suppose its vaguely possible that I was wrong. Googling the development history of Photo-Paint has brought me no info.

Harry - I can't easily Save As repeatedly to folders different from my source PSD - yes you can do that also, very easily with Actions. You just specify as many desination locations as you want in your action steps. Just need to set up folders for them, and leave the folders on your drive.

• 19. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                              harry teasley Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Harry - I can't easily Save As repeatedly to folders different from my source PSD - yes you can do that also, very easily with Actions. You just specify as many desination locations as you want in your action steps. Just need to set up folders for them, and leave the folders on your drive.

It would require an action per file, and it's thousands of files. I have an extensive source file tree, and a nearly-mirrored tree for destination files, and I work in all different parts of the tree all day. It would require variables to be properly actionable.

• 20. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

The way you do it is you have OUTPUT folders. These are for file types, or resolutions or for whatever you want. You certainly shouldnt need an action for each file.

Then the process of sorting these output files into the mirrored destination folders, is done the quickest way using the OS. You dont have to "Save as…" into the correct destination each time. Thats extremely long winded, and especially if its on a server, time consuming

Maybe this should be another "how do I" post, or once you are sure its really not possible, a Feature Request?

• 21. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                  sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Maybe this should be another "how do I" post, or once you are sure its really not possible, a Feature Request?

harry teasley wrote:

I hate it when this forum is drowned in requests that turn into "Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip!" threads. Learn the tool.

Ha, taste of your own medicine!

• 22. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                    harry teasley Level 1

I will say again, actions are insufficient. I work exclusively from the network (it is a requirement my job), and the manner in which PSDs are saved into TGAs is not scriptable with actions, and it is more cumbersome to use intermediate folders. I appreciate your forthrightness, but I have explored my various automation prospects on this.

The truly useful feature would be for Save As to recall last saved-as folder and file type, per file per session. This streamlines Save As after the first instance.

• 23. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                      harry teasley Level 1

sfjedi wrote:

Ha, taste of your own medicine!

Please, calm yourself. Can you not suffer disagreement with your requests?

Feel free to jump all over my requests, if it makes you feel better.

• 24. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                        Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

"The truly useful feature would be for Save As to recall last saved-as folder and file type, per file per session. This streamlines Save As after the first instance." thats a fair enough feature request, as a preference under "File Handling".

I still think that you would find the intermediate save onto your local drive a better way to work. If you find yourself spending many minutes each day doing pointless things like navigating folder structures, each time you save a file, somethings not right. You can record easy OS scripts that will Open the destination folders, its just drag and drop then. Thats the way I used to work when I had these 'nailed down' workflows and folder structures to work with - took hours off my work.

• 25. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                          harry teasley Level 1

Each PSD can have multiple outputs to different folders, with different file name conventions. There are enough edge cases that really, no automated solution I have tried has been terribly effective. Interim folders are a pain, because my destination files get processed and tested in our 3D engine, and this happens many times a day. Forcing me to run external scripts every time I save a file will ensure I aggravate myself many times a day.

The most useful thing to me would be for me to be able to set the folder and file type in the Save As dialogue the first time I save the PSD that session, and have those choices remain for the rest of the session, or until I Save As to a different folder.

• 26. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Well thats your feature request then.

"Forcing me to run external scripts every time I save a file will ensure I aggravate myself many times a day." - Nope you run the scripts once every morning to open the correct folders, using mac Column view whuch is easiest to navigate. Then you store your output files, and move them into the destination folders in one operation. Your 3D testing whatever that is, can only work AFTER the files have been put into the output folders. If theres some essential part of the process I'm missing I apologize.

Targeted renaming is most efficiently done with a batch renaming utility. Bridge now allows you to save these naming conventions, which is an improvement on where it was when I was doing this.

• 27. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                              harry teasley Level 1

I'm using Windows, not a Mac (at least at work I am). And tastes differ, I can't stand the column layout in OSX dialogues: drives me crazy.

I iterate over these files all day: Save As to destination, process, test in our engine. Adjust the texture, Save As again, and on and on. And over the course of the day, I will spit a single PSD out to different folders and different names, and work on several PSDs for different assets. Really, the only thing that has been helpful is simply aliasing the destination folder within my source folder, but that only works for some files, some of the time.

I appreciate the thinking in this regard, but after several different attempts at shortening this process, I really do feel that an enhancement to Save As would be my best bet. I do note that this has been asked for many times by other folks.

It has been noted that making a change here could mess up existing actions that use Save As, so I would ask for it as an option that defaults to off.

• 28. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                                sfjedi Level 1

Since you guys are so concerned about forum ediquette, why don't you discuss Harry's feature request in Harry's discussion instead of here?

• 29. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                                  harry teasley Level 1

I have no objection to that, but I think the discussion has run its course anyway.

My primary etiquette concern in the forums is that threads be about suggestions, as opposed to help requests. But you're bruised that your thread was hijacked; I abase myself in apology.

• 30. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                                    sfjedi Level 1

No problem Harry, but in all fairness? This thread still is a suggestion (feature request) and is not a help request. In fact, most of mine still are. The only things that became "Oh! thanks I didn't know that!" are the move tool's "Auto-Select" checkbox and the Select >> Load Selection command, which actually belong to my Keyboard Shortcuts feature request, which, as a whole, is still also not a help request either.

• 31. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                                      harry teasley Level 1

I didn't say it had become such, I said that that's the only etiquette that I seriously point out. It doesn't really bother me when threads are hijacked, as long as they're still productive with suggestions.

• 32. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                                        sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

I didn't say it had become such.

Touché!

I'm just glad that considering my considerable amount of new discussions posted, all of the titles still maintain the integrity of a feature request. I try to spare myself the embarrassment of the inverse.

• 33. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                                          sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Jed I'm pretty sure it wasn't the other way round. - It was 1996 in Photoshop version 4 that you could set up Actions - a major move forward, and implemented very deeply, meaning that more or less any non-conditional steps could be automated EASILY. I also remember thinking at the time that it was unique, but I suppose its vaguely possible that I was wrong. Googling the development history of Photo-Paint has brought me no info.

CorelDRAW version 7 was released in April 1997... version 7 included support for scripting. Almost all commands and tools where open to OLE Automation in CorelDRAW 7 allowing you to write scripts to automate functions using Corel SCRIPT or any OLE 2-enabled scripting language, like Visual Basic. A new Script Manager enabled you manage your scripts.

http://coreldraw.com/blogs/gerard/archive/2007/10/26/a-little-history-of-coreldraw-graphic s-suite.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

• 34. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                                            Zeno Bokor Level 6

don't confuse scripting with actions, they're very different. With actions you record what you actually do in the program, with scripting you write code to do that stuff

• 35. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                                              sfjedi Level 1

I understand Zeno, but there's actually not a difference between them in Corel PHOTO-PAINT. That is, you use a Recorder panel to record your actions, similar to Photoshop actions, and you save the scripts. Then, if you want to tweak those scripts you can. I don't believe Corel PHOTO-PAINT saves actions in a handy actions panel like Photoshop does. You just have to save them as files on your hard drive somewhere and load them when you need them.

• 36. Re: File >> New From Clipboard
                                                                                Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Photoshop also has something called Script Listener which create processes similar to actions, if you really want. Following are good reasons NOT to…

One major practical difference is that Actions are easily recordable by any chimpanzee, and proper Scripting requires some programming knowledge.

Main point  - scripts are  slower to execute, because they read the script off the disk each time whereas Actions are instant playback. Another disadvantage, its a lot slower both to set up processes, and to understand what the hells going on. Scripting officionado's don't seem to be aware that Actions exist at all and generally prefer, just for the sake of it, because they are very often doing simple Actionable processes, to make everything more complicated and slower for themselves.

The advantage with scripting is of course its much more sophisticated allowing conditional steps etc

Another not often appreciated fact: In Photoshop Actions and Scripts can also call each other, allowing you to combine them.

• 37. Let's stop denying that this is an important missing feature.
                                                                                  Mobius Strip Level 2

"PASTE AS NEW IMAGE" has been requested over and over for years.  Pretty much every other creative app has it.  I used it all the time in Paint Shop Pro.  Apparently Photo-Paint has it.  Even audio applications have a "paste as new" feature.

There is no reason at all not to include this feature, because it would not take away anything from the app.

Saying that you can address this problem with macros is a well worn strawman that doesn't hold up.  Nobody should have to run around to every computer he uses Photoshop on, setting up this macro.  I'm sure we can find plenty of built-in functions that could've been left up to the user to set up as a macro.  But guess what: If the app is delivered as a shell that lacks basic functionality, it isn't an app.  It's a development platform.  If I wanted to write my own image-processing app, I would.

In 1991, Word for Windows couldn't even maintain continuous page numbers across different files that were part of one book.  So I wrote a WordBasic macro to iterate through an entire directory of files and fix the page numbers, and a dozen macros to perform other important functions.  I had to either E-mail them to everybody on my team and teach them how to install them, or walk around and do it myself.  Today those functions are built into the app, because Microsoft didn't just decide "To hell with it; let the users write the rest of the app."

And you want to argue against redundancy?  How about the ridiculous default Undo mode in Photoshop?  Instead of stepping back through previous actions, Undo is limited to undoing exactly ONE action.  The second time you hit Undo, it undoes the last Undo.  Brilliant!  Then what's Re-do for?  Once again, the user has to fix this on every Photoshop installation.

Stop killing the messenger in these forums.  The CS apps are rife with design gaffes that defy common sense.  GET OVER IT.  Stop attacking people who want to see these products improve.  We should all know by know what happens to entities that refuse to learn.

1 person found this helpful
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Let's stop denying that this is an important missing feature.
                                                                                    sfjedi Level 1

Mobius Strip wrote:

There is no reason at all not to include this feature, because it would not take away anything from the app.

That's what I've been saying all along.

Saying that you can address this problem with macros is a well worn strawman that doesn't hold up.  Nobody should have to run around to every computer he uses Photoshop on, setting up this macro.  I'm sure we can find plenty of built-in functions that could've been left up to the user to set up as a macro.  But guess what: If the app is delivered as a shell that lacks basic functionality, it isn't an app.  It's a development platform.  If I wanted to write my own image-processing app, I would.

I've also made this same argument.

And you want to argue against redundancy?  How about the ridiculous default Undo mode in Photoshop?  Instead of stepping back through previous actions, Undo is limited to undoing exactly ONE action.  The second time you hit Undo, it undoes the last Undo.  Brilliant!  Then what's Re-do for?  Once again, the user has to fix this on every Photoshop installation.

That's the first thing I do to every Photoshop installation is change CTRL+Z to go back in history, instead of Undo/Redo, which I've never seen in any other application. Talk about consistency? How about making CTRL+Z behave the way it behaves in every other program? Redo is always CTRL+SHIFT+Z or in Adobe products I've seen a lot of CTRL+Y for some reason.

Stop killing the messenger in these forums.  The CS apps are rife with design gaffes that defy common sense.  GET OVER IT.  Stop attacking people who want to see these products improve.  We should all know by know what happens to entities that refuse to learn.

Oh, they've been trying to kill me in almost every post, man. I don't even know why, because the features I propose wouldn't at all affect their workflow because they wouldn't even look for these commands, apparently, and they surely don't "replace" existing functionality.

• 39. Re: Let's stop denying that this is an important missing feature.
                                                                                      harry teasley Level 1

Mobius Strip wrote:

Undo/Redo has a long history with users, much longer than the History panel. They maintain the behavior for those users for whom the behavior is instinctive. This behavior was the norm for nearly all apps of the time: no app maintained an endless Undo buffer. Rather than implement the pedestrian Undo of other apps, they came up with the History, which is much more powerful. And they kept the old behavior, which has differences with how it handles non-History enabled changes (which is why I still use it much of the time). And they enable you to very easily get the behavior you want. And you're crying about it?

Paste as New Image is a minor feature at best. My word processing apps don't feel a need for "paste as new doc". My 3D apps don't feel a need for "paste as new scene". I don't particularly feel a need for it: I regard it as a hand-holding feature that takes the place of a keyboard sequence that, at worst, takes me a couple of seconds, maybe twice in any given workday. It just seems really low bang/buck, a nearly inconsequential value-add.

I'm not campaigning against it, I'm doing what the forums are intended to do: debate potential features. If there's universal acceptance of the need for something, I'm sure that will be noticed. If there's a lot of "meh" to a request, I'm sure that's taken into account, too. This is "meh" for me. Take your impassioned investment in this feature, and a couple of bucks, and go sit in a coffee shop and calm yourself down.

1 2 Previous Next