2 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 11:06 AM by the_wine_snob

Recording footage on miniDV tape in LP mode (90 minutes)

COLawrence1947

Does anyone have any experience recording footage on miniDV tape in LP mode (90 minutes) and then bringing it into PRE7 for editing?  There obviously must be some degradation in the quality of the video/audio, but is it noticible?  Under what circumstances would you want to avoid LP mode, and when might it be acceptable?  Are there any problems with using such source footage in PRE7?  I wanted to see if anyone had done this and get their feedback before just going out and doing it.  You only get one chance to shoot footage!  Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles Lawrence

• 2. Re: Recording footage on miniDV tape in LP mode (90 minutes)
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Under what circumstances would you want to avoid LP mode, and when might it be acceptable?

Actually, I would have asked the question a bit differently. "Under what circumstances would I ever consider using LP mode?" The only answer that I can think of would be in a case where you absolutely could not change a tape. To answer your question, avoid LP mode if there is any motion, whatsoever, either camera, or subject. The savings in tape are not worth the quality hit, unless you are only going to output to tiny frame sizes, and using heavily compressed CODEC's where the quality will be poor, at best, to begin with. Good tapes are very cheap. You will appreciate the difference in the quality, by using them in SP mode.

Also, find a tape brand that you like and always stick to that brand and type. Many people recommend Sony, because the tapes are very slightly abrasive. Their feeling is that the tapes "clean" the heads, as they pass them. Some others choose other tape brands, because they are LESS abrasive, and feel that the wear on the heads more than offsets the cleaning aspect. One could do a lot of reading of reviews on tape brands.

Good luck,

Hunt