4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 8:16 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Audio in XFL Export

terrablue444

I want to know why I cant hear audio in my xfl export when I preview my file in FlashCS4?

Ive seen several tutorials that work with audio, and it has a little "export audio" check box when you export... and then I find

"Limitations of exporting a composition to XFL format

Audio is not exported to the XFL file."

on this forum site: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS609484ED-81FD-41fd-B2C8-10A1D55339EF.html

Does anyone have some suggestions for me?  Im trying to flash up a video for my website and cannot get the audio to sync up if I import it seperately.

• 1. Re: Audio in XFL Export
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Hi, Terra Blue.

Can you point me to these tutorials that show XFL export with audio?

• 2. Re: Audio in XFL Export
            terrablue444 Level 1

It wasnt on the Adobe forums, but from lynda.com

Heres the video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiEv-ReF6NE

Note at 1:06, that is the screen I am referring to which allows you

to control whether or not to export the audio.  If audio isnt

supported then why would that check box be there?

at 2:29 is when the exported xfl file is previewed in Flash, and

audio is present

Thanks for your response

Terra Matthews

• 3. Re: Audio in XFL Export

Hello, Terra.

What you see at 1:06 is that when you export a XFL file from an AE Comp that has video, it will take you to the Adobe Media Encoder dialog to set encoding options for the FLV file that's going to be used for exchange. The audio tab is there in Adobe Media Encoder because, of course, the FLV format supports audio. But note that it's disabled by default when you get there from the Export XFL file command.

That said, I am far from an expert in this particular area, so I am dobule checking everything and trying to learn more. I'll let you know if I find out something different.

• 4. Re: Audio in XFL Export

Ok, I discussed this topic with an After Effects QE engineer who oversees the XFL feature. And I believe I have some juicy bits for you.

Yes, it's true. Audio is not supported in XFL export.

BUT... there is one exception.

If you have an FLV in the AE timeline that does not need to be re-rendered (see the help page for the rules on when layers are passed through or rendered), the FLV will be packaged into the XFL file without any alteration.  So if audio is contained in that FLV, it will come into Flash.

So one workaround would be to put the audio into an FLV file before importing into AE.  This has some limitations, though:
                1. There has to be video in the file.  AE will ignore layers that are audio only.
                2. You can’t just turn off the video visibility icon.  Same reason as above.
                3. What you CAN do is lower the opacity of the video layer to zero (opacity changes don’t require that the layer be rendered), move it off the visible area in the Comp, or use an FLV where the video is empty (alpha channel in the On2 Vp6 codec) or trivially small.

Regarding the Audio tab you see in Adobe Media Encoder... You have noticed that the FLV settings accessible through the XFL export dialog allow you to enable audio.  If you do this, any rendered FLV’s in the XFL package will indeed have an audio track, but it will be empty.

Hope this helps!