7 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 10:58 AM by multiabhay1

Problem with ephemeral prop. mapper in particle playground

multiabhay

Hello guy's

this is abhay sharma

first of all I say thanks for creating this amazing particle system

quite complex but really powerful. I shocked when I find some fluidical

behaviour in this thing.

there is only one problem that it's very slow.

I have some suggestion for improving this effect. but before that I want to tell my poblem that I am facing right now

I created a particle simulation and used a layer map for some properties. now the problem is -----  you know that you can use a

layer map in two ways one with persistent property mapper and second with emphemeral property mapper.

when I use the layer map with persistent property map it works. but when i use the same map in emphemeral

property map some properties like gradient velocity or gradinet force or x speed or y speed doen't work. why is that?

I know that the emphemeral property mapper is differ with persistent property mapper in only one way that it doesn't holds

the last value of layer pixel while the persisten p mapper holds it to the lifetime.

my suggestions are:

(a) Increase the speed.  increase the no. of particles to handle like trapcode particular.

(b) make it a 3d particle system if possible.

(c) increase the no. of layer properties in layer mappers . 6 is very less

• 1. Re: Problem with ephemeral prop. mapper in particle playground
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Hello, Abhay.

Let me begin by saying that I am also a huge fan of Particle Playground (there are not that many of us, probably because of the complexity of PP).

Regarding your suggestions, I am passing them along to the team. Bear in mind that Particle Playground was a deep research project untertaken by some brilliant AE team members 12 (yes, twelve) years ago. Because of this, for all the cooless in it... it's not easy to update. And It doesn't get along well with the simultaneous frame rendering model now in AE, ie given interframe dependencies it would be much slower it it attempted to use that, so when you use PP, AE disables multi-processing in order to not drown your computer Making it 3D? Pure speculation on my part, but PP seems so 2D at its' heart, that it could be easier to develop an entirely new 3D particle system someday, and add PP's "greatest hits" (like the property mapper idea) to that.

I will try your ephemeral property mapper issue later tonight (oddly, you named properties I rarely or never use) and if I see the same thing, I'll try (as always, no promises) to find out why.

Best,

Adofo Rozenfeld

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem with ephemeral prop. mapper in particle playground
            multiabhay Level 1

those who don't like particle playground they should to the see the following examples

that I created some months ago.

and after watching try to do the same thing in other other particle

system then they understang the power of PP.

Text-to-Smoke -- http://www.vimeo.com/1457254

Strange Liquid -- http://www.vimeo.com/1586382

Text-to-Sand -- http://www.vimeo.com/1586408

Text-on-Fire -- http://www.vimeo.com/1586435

Realistic-Fire -- http://www.vimeo.com/1606554

Venus -- http://www.vimeo.com/1586561

thanks for the quick response.

waiting for the solution. any idea will be appriciated.

cheers.

• 3. Re: Problem with ephemeral prop. mapper in particle playground

Those are really excellent examples of the power in Particle Playground, Abhay! PP makes a few things more difficult than they are in other particle systems, but it's full of power inside. Believe it or not, I was going to ask if you had some examples to show your work with it. As I said, I have always been a fan of PP.

For example, the texture mapped in the front of this thing is all Particle Playground:

http://www.vimeo.com/1462781

Regarding your question on those properties in the Ephemeral Property Mapper section, the person who I wanted to discuss this with is unfortunately (for us) out  on vacation for a few days.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problem with ephemeral prop. mapper in particle playground
                multiabhay1

hay adolfo!

sorry for the late response.

My internet speed went terribly very slow.

so I was disappered for a while. but now everyting is fine.

I haven't done anyting special with PP riht now.

but actually I was planning for a tutorial dvd entirely for PP

I am working on that right now so, I definately I have to creat something

stunning. May be a mind blowing promo.

thanks for the comments.

wating for the solution.

thanks.

• 5. Re: Problem with ephemeral prop. mapper in particle playground

A tutorial DVD on Particle Playground sounds like a great idea.

I'll try to have some information on this next week. As of now, yes, I can get all these properties to work as expected in the Persistent Property Mapper but not in the Ephemeral section.

• 6. Re: Problem with ephemeral prop. mapper in particle playground

Abhay:

I hope you get this message, considering the time since you first asked about this.

I just got an explanation and a sample project from one of the AE engineers who created Particle Playground.

At least in the specific case of using the gradient velocity property in the ephemeral property mapper (instead of the persistent section), the influence turns out to be so ephemeral indeed, that you may need to enable motion blur to see it at all. Seriously!

Here's the explanation from him:

The key is to enable motion blur -- since the speed is set only momentarily, it has no effect on the
                    position for this frame (because the order of operations has the position updated based on the speed, and then the speed updated based on the map), but you can visualize speed when motion blur is on.

In the attached project, try dragging the cannon start point vertically to
                    see how the dots are affected by the text map. Can be used for an
                    interesting effect.

I hope this solves the mystery of the elusively ephemeral properties

PS: remove the forced .txt extension from the attached sample project.

• 7. Re: Problem with ephemeral prop. mapper in particle playground
                      multiabhay1 Level 1

Thanks Adolfo!

It worked!!

Amazing

Thanks a lot!

it's given me a lot more space to play with particle playground further!

thanks.