6 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 6:16 PM by Gregory Lafrance

Problem with the click property in an embeded component

Jim Daniel Level 1

The following code snipit causes the -- 1180: Call to a possibly undefined method myLink. -- compile time error.  I've tried making the method public and that doesn't help, so can anyone tell me what's going wrong?

<mx:TileList x="148" y="10" width="411" height="302" rowHeight="140" columnWidth="190"

dataProvider="{clientsList}" backgroundColor="#E9EEF0" rollOverColor="#b1b5b6" click="myLink('{data.link}')">

<mx:itemRenderer>

<mx:Component>
                     <mx:VBox horizontalAlign="center" verticalAlign="middle" height="140" width="200" horizontalScrollPolicy="off" verticalScrollPolicy="off">
                          <mx:Image source = "{data.image}" width="120" height="100" toolTip="{data.text}" click="myLink('{data.link}')"/>
                          <mx:Text width="100%" text="{data.name}" textAlign="center" height="18" fontSize="12" fontFamily="Myriad Pro"/>
                     </mx:VBox>
                </mx:Component>

</mx:itemRenderer>
      </mx:TileList>

• 1. Re: Problem with the click property in an embeded component
          Michael Borbor Level 4

Where do you place your function? I don't think square brackets are necessary in the function call.

• 2. Re: Problem with the click property in an embeded component
            Jim Daniel Level 1

Small error in the code previously shown.  Here is the corected code

<mx:TileList x="148" y="10" width="411" height="302" rowHeight="140" columnWidth="190"

dataProvider="{clientsList}" backgroundColor="#E9EEF0" rollOverColor="#b1b5b6">

<mx:VBox horizontalAlign="center" verticalAlign="middle" height="140" width="200" horizontalScrollPolicy="off" verticalScrollPolicy="off">
                                <mx:Image source = "{data.image}" width="120" height="100" toolTip="{data.text}" click="myLink('{data.link}')"/>
                                <mx:Text width="100%" text="{data.name}" textAlign="center" height="18" fontSize="12" fontFamily="Myriad Pro"/>

• 3. Re: Problem with the click property in an embeded component
              Jim Daniel Level 1

If by square brackets you mean the {} brakets, then they are of no significance to this problem.  I've tried using just a function call with no variable passing i.e. click="myLink()"

• 4. Re: Problem with the click property in an embeded component
                Michael Borbor Level 4

First make sure myLink is public and second call myLink like this outerDocument.myLink

• 5. Re: Problem with the click property in an embeded component
                  Michael Borbor Level 4

Yes sorry, I meant brackets I must remember to never look at code without my glasses.

• 6. Re: Problem with the click property in an embeded component
                    Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Here tis:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
                    <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml">
                      <mx:Script>
                        <![CDATA[
                          public function myLink(url:String):void{
                            navigateToURL(new URLRequest('http://www.' + url), '_blank');
                          }
                        ]]>
                      </mx:Script>
                      <mx:XML xmlns="" id="clientsList">
                        <items>
                          <item>
                            <name>Google's Headquarters</name>
                            <image>google.png</image>
                            <link>google.com</link>
                            <text>A picture of Google's headquarters.</text>
                          </item>   
                          <item>
                            <name>Yahoo's Headquarters</name>
                            <image>yahoo.png</image>
                            <link>yahoo.com</link>
                            <text>A picture of Yahoo's headquarters.</text>
                          </item>
                        </items>   
                      </mx:XML>
                      <mx:TileList x="148" y="10" width="411" height="302"
                        rowHeight="140" columnWidth="190" dataProvider="{clientsList..item}"
                        backgroundColor="#E9EEF0" rollOverColor="#b1b5b6">
                            <mx:VBox horizontalAlign="center" verticalAlign="middle"
                              height="140" width="200" horizontalScrollPolicy="off"
                              verticalScrollPolicy="off">
                              <mx:Image source = "{data.image}" width="120" height="100"
                                toolTip="{data.text}" click="outerDocument.myLink(String(data.link));"/>
                              <mx:Text width="100%" text="{data.name}" textAlign="center"
                                height="18" fontSize="12" fontFamily="Myriad Pro"/>
                    </mx:Application>