8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 5:49 AM by fourfives

AVCHD to DVD:  Really ugly results

fourfives

Basically what I'm trying to do is take AVCHD (off of a canon HG10 camera) and burn the movie onto a DVD to be played in 'normal' dvd players.  When I do this, the video is downright blurry.  When I render to a test file that is in 720 or 1080 its fine and looks spectacular.  Is there a problem with PE7?

Any help would be appreceated....

• 1. Re: AVCHD to DVD:  Really ugly results
          Paul_LS Level 4

Can you please describe your workflow from how you get the clips from the camera through to burning to DVD.

Are you starting with the appropriate AVCHD project preset with correct PAL/NTSC, frame size setting? Do you then edit the timeline and then export to DVD? Also what length is your project, for maximum quality the DVD should be around an hour or less long. And of course remember that the resolution of the standard NTSC frame is 720x480 so the video will not be as crisp as teh original high definition video.

• 2. Re: AVCHD to DVD:  Really ugly results
            fourfives Level 1

I create the project using AVCHD settings meaning (I'm at work so I don't exactly remember the settings) but they are like 1440×1080 at 30 fps NTSC.  I copy the AVCHD files off the camera and onto my computer.  Then I 'get media' in PE7 and go grab those files.  The project itself is only 15 minutes long so I don't even come close to filling up a DVD.  I do understand that DVD is only 720x480 but it looks far worse than that.  Its almost like PE7 does not play well with my AVCHD files but only when burning them to a DVD.

• 3. Re: AVCHD to DVD:  Really ugly results
              Paul_LS Level 4

Ummm... seems like your workflow is fine. The only other thing to try is to downconvert the AVCHD to MPEG2 with the software that comes with the camcorder and edit this in a standard definition project in PE7... maybe this will give better quality.

• 4. Re: AVCHD to DVD:  Really ugly results
                RobIgo

"fourfives" Did you ever find a answer to your AVCHD to DVD problem? I'm trying the same thing with little success. I'm taking the AVCHD video to a two pass H.264, 16:9 NTSC formated video... looks like poo. I'm wondering if doing a center cut from the 16:9 to 4:3 would be any better. But I still think it's a resolution size issue.

Let me know if you figure it out.

Kindest regards.

• 5. Re: AVCHD to DVD:  Really ugly results
                  fourfives Level 1

In my case it was not a resolution or aspect ratio issue.  I have come to the simple conclusion that PE7 outputs to DVD like poo no matter what you do :).  My workaround was to:

1. Edit the video in PE7
                  2. Output to file DV
                  3. Burn to DVD with software that came with my camera (that does nothing more than convert DV to DVD............Just like PE7 SHOULD be able to do but does not)

It looks 10 times better doing this than burning to DVD from PE7.  I have yet to figure out how to turn off the PE7 to DVD poo filter.

• 7. Re: AVCHD to DVD:  Really ugly results
                    RobIgo Level 1

Just found that if you can apply a bit of an edge sharpening filter to your DV compression the results are night and day... Cheers.

• 8. Re: AVCHD to DVD:  Really ugly results
                      fourfives Level 1

Do you mean within PE7?  Are you burning to DVD within PE7?