11 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2009 10:25 PM by Mylenium

problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4

mafnn

Hi,

I'm trying to install the trial version of After Effects CS4 on Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 32-bit Operating System, Processor 2.4GHz, RAM 4GB.

At the initializing stage it gets to 90% on the 'Checking System Profile...' dialog box, something flashes and then it freezes.

I've downloaded it a second time in case of corruption.

I've rebooted several times and retried it with no other applications running.

I've run updates on any existing adobe products I have.

Any ideas?  I've never had problems installing adobe products before.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not your fault, known issue.

a) Download the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and install it

b) Download the CS4 Cleanup Utility from Adobe's support pages

c) Run the CS4 Cleanup, electing to remove all debris from your failed install

d) Manually uninstall all instances of Adobe AIR products (Acrobat.com, Adobe Media Palyer) using Add or Remove Programs

e) Launch the Microsoft Installer Cleanup and look for instances of Adobe Installer 2.0. Have them removed. Optionally, have it remove other Adobe stuff that may have been left over from CS4.

f) Try to install CS4

Note: The cleanup utilities will not remove anything physically, only clean out the installer, so they pose no danger to your system. You will only lose the ability to uninstall those programs from Add or Remove Programs.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4
            mafnn Level 1

Apologies if this posts twice.  I'm sending it again 'cos I think the

subject line got messed up last time.

• 3. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4
              mafnn Level 1

Ok, third time lucky ... I'm replying directly on the forum this time.... not sure what's happening with email replies ...

AdobeInstalledProducts.jpg

Thank you very much for help Mylenium.

I've gone through the steps but the exact same thing is still happening.
              Adobe After Effects CS4 is still showing up in 'Programs and Features' (I'm on Vista) but when I try to uninstall, I get Adobe Setup has stopped working and it shuts down.
              It doesn't show up in either of the Cleanup utilities.

Also, when I run Windows Installer Cleanup,  Adobe Setup [2.0] is listed in the installed products, is this the "+Adobe Installer 2.0+" you said I should remove, there doesn't seem to be any "Installer" product listed.

I've attached what's listed in a screenshot image.

Really appreciate help on this.

• 4. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4
                mafnn Level 1

Thank you very much for help Mylenium.

I've gone through the steps but the exact same thing is still happening.

Adobe After Effects CS4 is still showing up in 'Programs and Features' (I'm

on Vista) but when I try to uninstall, I get Adobe Setup has stopped working

and it shuts down.

It doesn't show up in either of the Cleanup utilities.

Also, when I run Windows Installer Cleanup,  Adobe Setup is listed in

the installed products, is this the "Adobe Installer 2.0" you said I

should remove, there doesn't seem to be any "Installer" product listed.

I've attached what's listed in a screenshot image.

Really appreciate help on this.

• 5. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4

Yes, I meant Adobe Setup 2.0. Apologies for not getting it right in the first place. I also recommend you unregister Acrobat 8 using the CS4 Clean Utility. this has been known to cause conflicts with the shared PDFL (PDF library) component. Let us know how it goes.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4
                    mafnn Level 1

Thanks again for your help Mylenium

Acrobat 8 doesn't show up in the CS Clean.  CSClean.jpg

I've uploaded a screenshot of what its, showing along with whats showing up in 'Programs and Features' in case I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks again

• 7. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4

Mmh, maybe those issues got resolved in newer versions and the Acrobat stuff has been removed from the Utility. The installers are a constant "in progress" area and every now and so often get updated quietly without any notification. You could try to install. If it gets stuck on PDFL, then at least you know what you should do on your next attempt - uninstall Acro Reader. ;-)

Mylenium

• 8. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4
                        elaine montoya Level 3

We're you running a previous version before installing? In particular, had you installed a pre-release (beta) version of ANY Adobe software?

If so, running the Adobe cleanup script is critical. If they were from CS3, use <http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html>

If they were from CS4, use <http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html>

Issues like you are describing are usually from something like this, or a corrupt download.

elaine

• 9. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4
                          mafnn Level 1

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for reply.  I tried various things ... nothing seemed to work.  Eventually, I worked my way down through these solutions

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407428.html

and solution no.3 was the one that got it to work and allowed me do the install of After Effects.   Unfortunately, one of the things that I tried was to uninstall the only CS3 product that I had which was Fireworks and now I'm having the exact same problem when I try to reinstall that.... it fails almost immediately when I try to run setup!

• 10. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You may be able to get installation support from Adobe for your Fireworks CS3 installation. Instructions for contacting Technical Support and finding out what support you're entitled to are at the top of this forum.

• 11. Re: problem installing trial version of After Effects CS4

*yikes* pretty severe, then. For your Fireworks install, the CS4 Clean Utility should do the trick. Unfortunately the CS3 installer cannot be run after a CS4 product has been installed, but unregistering the CS4 product from the installer database should allow it. I know, more running in circles...

Mylenium