11 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 8:00 AM by Romil Mittal

AIR Application Update crashes on Linux

HumanCell

We recently released our new AIR Application - Crossfeedr (http://www.crossfeedr.com) - and have been running it in beta with several Linux users.  Throughout the beta they have complained that "AIR Apps never update properly!".  We have not had any problems on any other platforms, and finally got a employee of Cononical (Ubuntu) that is very technical to assist us in getting more details.  He reports:

What happens is I get notification of an upgrade, select install, application goes away and I get the resulting crash log.  I am using Ubuntu 9.04 fully up to date - have not received any upgrade notices from Air recently.

He has captured the AIR Crash Log (Attached) and also enabled AIR Install logging in his home dir, but doesn't see anything there.

He is able to remove the application, and then go back and re-install from our home page ... and it works perfectly.  But when the next update is deployed, he gets the notice and attempts to update ... and gets this same crash.

We verified he is at AIR v1.5.1, and the current Flash player also.

Ideas?  Thoughts?

We want Linux users to LOVE AIR!!

• 1. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
          Michael Borbor Level 4

Interesting, could be an AIR/Linux related bug, Ubuntu 9.04 isn't oficially supported yet so the problem might be there, but maybe try to contact the AIR engineering group so they

can sort this out, or probably one of them will read this post.

• 2. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
            zoobuntu

The officially supported Ubuntu release by Adobe (7.10) isn't supported by Ubuntu/Canonical any longer. Adobe needs to focus on LTS releases (8.04 currently).

Regardless, the same happened on 8.10 and 9.04. Air was not available when I was running 8.04, but I can setup a box and try it there. Hopefully the crash shows enough detail.

Happy to help debug.

• 3. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
              Romil Mittal Adobe Employee

Hi,

We are not able to reproduce this issue on Ubuntu 9.0.4 at our end. It is a default installation with GNOME desktop environment.

From the crash log, it seems that the update issue you are seeing is happening while AIR tries to find out the default application for .air extension. I would really appreciate if you could help me figuring out what could exactly be happening on your machine. I would need the following information:

1. Which desktop environment are you running - GNOME, KDE, XFCE, OpenBox, or some other?

2. Please run the following commands on your system and let me know the output:

touch /tmp/test.air

xdg-mime query filetype /tmp/test.air

Expected output:   application/vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip

3. Please run the following command on your system and let me know the output:

xdg-mime query default "application/vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip"

Expected output: AdobeAIR-application-vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip.desktop

4. Please run the following command and let me know the output:

locate .desktop | grep AdobeAIR

Thanks.

-romil

• 4. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
                zoobuntu Level 1
                1. Which desktop environment are you running - GNOME, KDE, XFCE,
                OpenBox, or some other?
                     GNOME.

2.  touch /tmp/test.air

3. xdg-mime query default "application/vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip"
                    returned nothing.

4. locate .desktop | grep AdobeAIR
                    Returned:
                /home/jpugh/.local/share/applications/AdobeAIR-application-vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip.desktop
                /home/jpugh/.local/share/applications/AdobeAIR.desktop
                /opt/Adobe AIR/Versions/1.0/Resources/support/AdobeAIR.desktop
                /opt/Adobe AIR/Versions/1.0/Resources/support/AdobeAIRUninstaller.desktop
                /usr/share/applications/AdobeAIR-application-vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip.desktop
                /usr/share/applications/AdobeAIR.desktop
                /usr/share/applications/AdobeAIRUninstaller.desktop

Interesting issue at #3? Warrant a removal and reinstallation? or is there a simple way to add that back in?
                I'm unfamiliar with mime-types and xdg-mime to know how to do it.

• 5. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
                  Pahup Adobe Employee

Thanks for your answers.

Could you please answer our 2nd query also.

After touching /tmp/test.air, what do you see for following command.

-Thanks

Pahup

• 6. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
                    zoobuntu Level 1

Sorry pasted the wrong thing in there...

I received the expected result:

application/vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip

JP

• 7. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
                      Pahup Adobe Employee

Thanks for your answers.

So you got the expected results for the 2nd query, but the 3rd failed for you, right?

And just wanted to confirm that you are running GNOME on Ubuntu (and not on Xubuntu or Kubuntu) ?

-Thanks

Pahup

• 8. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
                        zoobuntu Level 1

Confirm GNOME on Ubuntu 9.04 (32bit)

Linux jpugh-mclaptop 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Confirm this query:

returns "application/vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip"

Confirm that this query:

xdg-mime query default "application/vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip"

returns nothing.

• 9. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
                          zoobuntu Level 1

Just so we're clear....

Installs work fine. Either manually or via a website badge.

Upgrades fail for any air application (well...twhirl, crossfeedr, tweetdeck)

• 10. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
                            zoobuntu Level 1

Another note....

the /etc/mime.types file has no reference to air or the air mime type and as a matter of fact states that mime types should not be added to that rather they need to be requested through the mime-support package owner at mime-support@packages.debian.org

It references adding a ".mime.types" file to the user home directory...which I have done, but that had no affect on an upgrade.

JP

• 11. Re: AIR Application Update crashes on Linux
                              Romil Mittal Adobe Employee

Thansk for all the information.

We were not been able to reproduce the issue on Ubuntu 9.0.4 GNOME, but fortunately we managed to do it with XFCE desktop environment. We will be submitting a fix and that should be available in our next release.

For now, as a workaround, you can only download the latest version of the application's (that you want to update)  .air file and install it.

Thanks again for all the help and continued support.

-romil