7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2008 3:59 AM by Newsgroup_User

Why I'm getting broken icons in DW CS3?

plpedraza
      Since I switched from DW8 to CS3, I can't see the pictures or icons when I'm working on the page, I'm getting broken icons instead. Why is this happening if everything was fine with DW8?
      Everything looks fine on the website, but not in the Dreamweaver editor.
      Help please... Thanks
        • 1. Re: Why I'm getting broken icons in DW CS3?
          Level 7
          Hard to say with so little information. Can we see a page with the broken
          image links?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"plpedraza" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ga5hsb$iqo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Since I switched from DW8 to CS3, I can't see the pictures or icons when
          > I'm
          > working on the page, I'm getting broken icons instead. Why is this
          > happening if
          > everything was fine with DW8? Help please... Thanks
          >

• 2. Re: Why I'm getting broken icons in DW CS3?
            plpedraza Level 1
            I am not in my house right now, I'll send you a "Print Screen Copy" later. But for you to have an idea, if you go to one of the website I'm working on ( www.LaFamiliaHispana.org ) you will see icons on the left panel and pictures. When I open Dreamweaver CS3 to work on the page, I don't see those icons and pictures, instead I see only broken icons signs. The only thing you can see is the text. I used to work on Dreamweaver 8 and I switched to CS3 to get more stuff, but I don't dare to work on the site and save it, because I don't know if I'm going to switch the pictures with broken icons.

Thank you for you attention.
            • 3. Re: Why I'm getting broken icons in DW CS3?
              Level 7
              > I'll send you a "Print Screen Copy" later

Sorry - won't help at all. It's the code we need to see. I'll take a look
              at your current page and see....

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:ga5sa1$19v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I am not in my house right now, I'll send you a "Print Screen Copy" later.
              >But
              > for you to have an idea, if you go to one of the website I'm working on (
              > www.LaFamiliaHispana.org ) you will see icons on the left panel and
              > pictures.
              > When I open Dreamweaver CS3 to work on the page, I don't see those icons
              > and
              > pictures, instead I see only broken icons signs. The only thing you can
              > see is
              > the text. I used to work on Dreamweaver 8 and I switched to CS3 to get
              > more
              > stuff, but I don't dare to work on the site and save it, because I don't
              > know
              > if I'm going to switch the pictures with broken icons.
              >
              > Thank you for you attention.
              >

• 4. Re: Why I'm getting broken icons in DW CS3?
                plpedraza Level 1
                Here is the code attached to this email. I hope you can help me on this. The website is www.LaFamiliaHispana.org

Thanks
                • 5. Re: Why I'm getting broken icons in DW CS3?
                  Level 7
                  plpedraza posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> I am not in my house right now, I'll send you a "Print Screen
                  > Copy" later. But for you to have an idea, if you go to one of the
                  > website I'm working on ( www.LaFamiliaHispana.org ) you will see
                  > icons on the left panel and pictures. When I open Dreamweaver CS3
                  > to work on the page, I don't see those icons and pictures, instead
                  > I see only broken icons signs. The only thing you can see is the
                  > text.

I'm guessing it is all that invalid code that CS3 doesn't like. It is a
                  bit stricter than older versions.

If you look at it in code view, do you see a bunch of highlighted tags?

For instance, you have a rather large <style> element after the <body>.
                  Move all those lines into the <head> section with the rest of the
                  styles. Better yet, consolidate them as there seem to be duplicates.

Following that, you might want to clean up a bunch of mismatched
                  elements. For example, there is an extra closing </font> on line 221.

And...well there are just too many errors to list here. You might want
                  to see if Commands->Clean HTML a couple of times helps.

--
                  Mark A. Boyd
                  Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                  • 6. Re: Why I'm getting broken icons in DW CS3?
                    plpedraza Level 1
                    Thank you for your help. I had to re-install the old version #8 to work on a church website and it worked fine.
                    I still want to work on CS3 because it cost money. Do you have an idea why it works fine on 8 and not on CS3?

Thank you for your help
                    • 7. Re: Why I'm getting broken icons in DW CS3?
                      Level 7
                      > works fine on 8 and not on CS3?

CS3 is much less tolerant of code errors than 8 was. If the pages don't
                      validate when you go here -

http://validator.w3.org

then you will have problems with CS3. The solution is to try to fix the
                      code so that it validates.

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:ga85ev$ptm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Thank you for your help. I had to re-install the old version #8 to work on
                      > a
                      > church website and it worked fine.
                      > I still want to work on CS3 because it cost money. Do you have an idea why
                      > it
                      > works fine on 8 and not on CS3?
                      >
                      > Thank you for your help
                      >