Try this. In RoboHelp, click View > Pods > Project Set-up.
Expand the Windows pseudo-folder.
Do you see an icon that looks like this?
If you see that icon (the one with no globe inside) double-click it. If you don't see it, first ensure your Primary Layout type is Microsoft HTML Help. Then click the icon to create a new window.
Either way, you should see the Window Properties dialog. You need to ensure the Search Tab is enabled.
Hopefully this helps... Rick
This worked perfectly! Thanks!
So I have a similar, but not so similar problem. I''ve merged two help projects (Child1.chm and Child2.chm). The .chm output looks great (TOC and CSH are fine), except, I'm not getting an Index. I've selected the TOC & Index option in the Windows Properties for the Parent project. By the way, I'm bringing in FrameMaker by reference. So that may be part of the equation.
Sorry, but I'm unfamiliar with Frame at this stage of the game. I think the placeholders come into play here. So you may need to experiment with inserting those.
When you create output from RoboHelp, you are able to choose the specific Index you wish to include in the output. Have you ensured you have done this? Additionally, I do believe that for a merged CHM setup a couple of things have to be in place for the index to show.
- The master project has to have at lest one keyword defined and mapped to a topic
- The index must be configured as Binary
To add a keyword to the master you will need to display the Index Designer pod. Unfortunately it's not straightforward. You do it by expanding the Index pseudo-folder in the Project Manager pod. Then double-click the index listed.
Now you add a term to the index.
From here you ensure Binary is enabled. Click File > Project Settings...
Then when you generate output, ensure you are pointing at the right index.
Hi, this solution didn't work for me. I can't get the Search tab to appear in the CHM. It IS selected in the window. I even created a new window, selected it as the default window, AND specified it in the SSL -- still no Search tab in the output. Weird! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Have you tried defining a totally new Single Source Layout? Just right-click in the pod and define a new one.
I seem to recall that doing this fixes some things. Maybe this is one of them.
Helpful and Handy Links
That was a very promising suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work.
In the meantime, I have even recreated the entire project (it was a small project) and imported all the original topics, again created a new window, etc. -- all in vain.
Any more suggestions??
This is admittedly grasping at straws, but perhaps worth a shot.
Try what is outlined there and see if it makes a difference.
Helpful and Handy Links
The above didn't help me, but eventually I did manage to get it working. I did several things at once, and I'm not sure which detail fixed it, but here's what I did:
- Changed the name of the default help topic so that the definitions in the [WINDOWS] section of the HHP file fit on one line.
- Deleted the project's HHP file and let RH recreate it.
- Compared the HHP file with the HHP file of another project where the Search tab showed up correctly in the compiled help; made some minor adjustments.
- Compared the project's rhwnd.apj file with the same file in another project where the Search tab showed up; made some adjustments.
I think what happened was that somehow or other the window definition included a Glossary tab and Browse sequence button, when neither a glossary nor browse sequences were included in the RH project. That might be a good clue for the next person who has this problem.
Thank you for trying to assist me, Rick!
1 person found this helpful
I was facing a similar problem and after twisting my brain cells for a day, I finally found the solution. I am putting it on the forum, so others can also try this out.
Goto File-->Project Settings. In the 'General' tab of the new window, select the 'Binary Index' check box under the 'Index' section. Re-compile and the 'Search' tab is there !!
Hope this helps.
Wow... That blows me away that you found this to work. I say that because whether an Index is Binary or not should have zero bearing on the Search tab. But stranger things have happened. That's for sure!
Thank you very much for your exact solution on Search tab. Now I got the Search tab in my CHM files.
Thanks GargiK. I've had a missing Search tab for months on a project. Couldn't figure out why. This helped me figure it out! Kudos!