2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 6:02 AM by [Jongware]

Urgent: Help needed - Images not seen in .indd format

saranyaharikrish712

Hi,

I have a a standard template(.indt), for a pdf to be created, in which I place a few images dynamic. The images are obtained in an xml,in form of urls, and a javascript parses the xml, obtains the urls, and retrieves the corresponding images, places them dynamic on the template. I have used the following code to unlink the images,and embed them so as to remove any location dependenc, in the javascript

var myDocument = app.open (standardTemplate.indt, true);

//a custom function written which dynamically places the images.

placeImages()

for(i=0;i<myDocument.links.length;i++){
              myDocument.links.item(i).unlink();
          }

Finally i get two formats, one in form of a pdf and the other as Indesign document ".indd" file. Following inorder to save the template into the two formats with the following code:

myDocument.save(new File("standard.indd"));
          app.documents.item(0).exportFile(ExportFormat.pdfType, "standard.pdf"), app.pdfExportPresets.item("[Press Quality]"));

For placing the images, I first place the images on the template, then give a refernce of a rectangle as a parent to the image(This to keep the image size intact) and then move it to the position I require it to be.

The pdf and .indd files are created. The pdf contains the images ,however the .indd file shows only greyed rectangles in places where the images are to be seen. Kindly let me know what I am missing here?

Thank you in advance

Saranya Harikrishnan

• 1. Re: Urgent: Help needed - Images not seen in .indd format
          PJ_RG
          You've checked the layout of the boxes containing the images?
          They might be the background rather than the front
          Regards,
          PJ_RG
          • 2. Re: Urgent: Help needed - Images not seen in .indd format
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant
            The pdf and .indd files are created. The pdf contains the images ,however the .indd file shows only greyed rectangles in places where the images are to be seen. Kindly let me know what I am missing here?

Don't panic. Your preview mode is in Fast Display; images are shown as grey rectangles with a black cross.

Select View -> Display Performance, and select either Typical or High Quality (whatever your computer is capable of).

It might not work because some (or all) images have a display preference override. Click right on any image and select "Display Performance"; then check "Use View Settings".

Additionally, check your preferences; under "Display Performance" (again!), box "Adjust View Settings",  you can change the settings for each of the three levels 'Fast', 'Typical', and 'High Quality'. Perhaps the funny guy in your office set Raster Images to its minimum for High Quality.

(Please notice the unnecissity of posting this general question in the scripting forum.)