4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2009 11:42 AM by Leonard B

Cfwindow and variable

I found an issue using Lightwindow 2.0 and CF8, therefore I need to find a different solution.  So I'm trying the cfwindow option but I am having a difficult time coding it to work the way I want.

I am displaying query resultset which shows six different values and the URL is being appended by the uniquie ID of the record.

How can I do this with cfwindow?

This is what I have so far put it's not working at all.

<cfwindow name="fcnews#NewsID#" title="" Width="500" Height="400" refreshOnShow="true" center="true" modal="true" source="news_detail.cfm?NewsID=#NewsID#"></cfwindow>
                        <a href="##" onclick="javascript:ColdFusion.Window.show('fcnews')">#Headline#</a>

This opens the window but the data is imbedded in the page and not the window.
      Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Cfwindow and variable
          Leonard B Level 2

Hi RockDad,

Try something like below.

As you can see I have used radio buttons, with an onClick event handler.

So when a person clicks on a radio button the value is passed to the

<cfwindow> and passed onto the source.cfm page.

Hope this helps you out some.

Leonard B

<cfform name="newslinks">

<cfinput name="newsID"
          onMouseOver="style.cursor='pointer'"> #headline#

<cfinput name="newsID"
          onMouseOver="style.cursor='pointer'"> #headline#

• 2. Re: Cfwindow and variable
            Adam Cameron. Level 5

Is it just me, or is the name of your window and the name of the window you're trying to show different from one another?

I would not have expected this sort of mismatch to cause your problem, but it certainly can't be helping.

• 3. Re: Cfwindow and variable
              Leonard B Level 2

Adam - Good catch,

I saw that last night and nothing stood out to me. You are right from what

I am seeing with the code presented, the two do not match. Guess fresh

eyes can make a difference.

I would also be surprised if a variable cannot be found error is not be

generated since when the page is loaded it would be looking for the

#variable# that is added to the <cfwindow> name attribute and at time
              of load would not be available.

-- Just me thinking is all and sometimes that can be dangerous - lol.

Leonard B

• 4. Re: Cfwindow and variable
                Leonard B Level 2

If you are simply looking to generate a pop window and dynamically

display content in the popped up window, an alternative to the

<cfwindow> process could be the use of javascript and do something
                like below.

Although not as fancy as the <cfwindow> process would be an

alternative for you to have for inclusion in your project.

Leonard B

= = = Code below = = =

On the page you will be linking from insert the code below into the

respective sections of the page.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
                     <!-- Begin
                     function NewWindow(mypage, myname, w, h, scroll) {
                     var winl = (screen.width - w) / 2;
                     var wint = (screen.height - h) / 2;
                     winprops = 'height='+h+',width='+w+',top='+wint+',left='+winl+',scrollbars='+scroll+',resizable'
                     win = window.open(mypage, myname, winprops)
                     if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4) { win.window.focus(); }
                    //  End -->

onClick="NewWindow(this.href,'name','[width]','[height]','yes');return false;">[link title/name here]</a>