5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 3:10 PM by Ned Murphy

grouping causes motions to shift

mythicwave

I have a simple movie of a person - torso, arms, legs, each on a separate layer.  I'm adding a walk cycle and use tweens to move the arms and legs.  This works fine when I export to an swf.  But when I group and try to export to a movieclip, the arms jump way up.  This seems like a simple problem of adjusting coordinates, origins, etc.  But I'm kind of a newbie, so does someone have a suggestion for me?  How do I export to a movieclip and have it playback the same as when exporting to a swf?

Thanks,

Brian

• 1. Re: grouping causes motions to shift
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Normally, I'd just copy the layers/frames and paste them into the timeline of any empty movieclip.  Don't group things, or maybe ungroup them when they reach their destination.  I'm not familiar with any feature to export to a movieclip, so pardon my ignorance in that aspect.

• 2. Re: grouping causes motions to shift
            mythicwave Level 1

Sorry, I didn't mean exporting to a movieclip.  I meant converting to a movieclip.  There are three layers - torso, arms, and legs.  The arms and legs have tweens.  The movie plays fine in Flash or when publishing to an swf.  I select all layers and frames and convert to a movieclip, then try to play.  Once converted to a movieclip, the arms and legs jump all over the place instead of simply rotating as they do in their own layer.  The same thing happens if I select all and group rather than converting to a movieclip.  I can post an example if that helps.

Thanks,

-- Brian

• 3. Re: grouping causes motions to shift

As I mentioned, I'd just copy all the layers/frames into an empty movieclip.  It's pretty much a four step process

1 create a movieclip symbol

2 select all the frames

3 right click - copy frames

4 right click the keyframe in the empty mc - paste frames

• 4. Re: grouping causes motions to shift
                mythicwave Level 1

Thanks, that worked.  But why doesn't it work the same way when I select all layers & frames on the main timeline and then click "convert to symbol" from the modify menu?  That's where I get jumping arms & legs.

-- Brian

• 5. Re: grouping causes motions to shift

When you do that, and I'm only guessing based on experience, you are only capturing certain frames of the selection (either the first of each layer or the last).