11 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 6:18 AM by kglad

Calling a function in an external actionscript

_whitenoise_ Level 1

Hi. First of all I'd like to put my hands up and say that what I know about Flash is antiquated (I used to work with Flash 4 / 5), and have now been thrown into the deep end, as it were.

I have an application that has a button component. In an external actionscript file there's an event listener that calls a function when this button is pressed. I want to replace the button with a graphic that switches according to whether the button is 'on' or 'off'. I've created a movie clip that cycles back and forth between the on and off states when clicked, but the trouble I'm having is getting it to call the function. I have no idea how to do it, other than to just include function_name(); (or call.function_name();) in the onRelease handler (which doesn't work). Is it possible to use event listners for movie clips (rather than components?) Or else how can I call this function? It should be really simple and I'm tearing my hair out trying to get it to work! The function is declared 'public', by the way...

Oh yes, this is ActionScript 1 (I think...)

Eternal thanks and gratitude to anyone who can help me...