8 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2014 6:09 AM by MADink27 RSS

Startup default swatches won't change!

ButchVA Community Member

Many moons ago I created a document called "Illustrator Startup_CMYK.ai" that's lived happily in my "Applications - Adobe Illustrator - Plug-ins" folder for ages.  Every time I create a new AI document, that's the default color swatch menu I get.  So far, so good. 

Today I saved a copy of that file out to my desktop and did some mods to it.  When I replaced the existing file in the above mentioned folder with my new one, no matter what I do, all new documents open up with the *old* color swatch palette!  I've gone so far as to trash (and empty the trash) every copy of any file that remotely looks like that file name, then replaced the only existing one in the Plug-ins folder with my newly revised one, and AI still defaults to the *old* one with old colors on it!  And it doesn't even exist on my system anymore. 

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?  I've been doing this for like 15 years with no problem - until today.

Thanks!

Butch

• 1. Re: Startup default swatches won't change!
          Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

User/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS4/en_US/New Document Profiles/Basic RGB and Basic CMYK
          I do not believe there is any such file as start up any more.

that does not work either?

• 2. Now I'm confused...
            ButchVA Community Member

Well now I *am* confused.  I put my newly changed document in there and set my default swatch library to that one.  I quit AI, and when I re-launched, the *OLD* one (that I've trashed out of my system completely, every single copy) is still there.

I'm way confused.

• 3. Re: Startup default swatches won't change!
              Larry G. Schneider CommunityMVP

You, of course, restarted AI,

edit  You beat me to it. It will help to know what version of AI you're using.

• 4. Yep, sure have...
                ButchVA Community Member

I'm using CS3.  I've restarted AI every time I've made a change.  The document I want to get rid of contains a custom spot color PMS 193.  I know it's still using the old startup document (default color swatch palette), since that color keeps showing up in my swatch  menu.  That color is NOT contained in my newly created startup document (which has a completely different name so there's no possibility of confusing them).

I can get it to open my new swatch palette, but I can't get it to default to that.  It keeps defaulting to the old one that no longer exists.  That's what perplexes me.  I created that document with a specific list of PMS colors on it (the ones I typically use).  I know it's not a library startup document, since it only has the PMS colors I put in it, and they're in the order I put them in.

The new document is basically the same as the old one, but I changed some of the PMS colors and re-ordered them.

B

• 5. Re: Yep, sure have...
                  Larry G. Schneider CommunityMVP

See Wade's explanation above. Since CS3, the New Document Profiles have taken the place of the startup files. If you are on a Windows system, then do a find on New Document Profiles for the new path.

• 6. Re: Yep, sure have...
                    Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

I am sorry I was referring to CS 4 which does not seem to have that file at least in a place where it would be obvious.

You can alter the preset for Basic CMYK or Basic RGB not to have the swatches or to have the swatches you choose but then you can create any type of document profile and use that as the preset and i thin it is a sticky setting.

Okay i got it.

the file you want is now called Print.ai in the folder I mentioned before change and save that and you should be fine I believe this also changed in CS 3.

No more startup file just Print, Basic RGB and Basic CMYK but Print is the default and is a CMYK file.

Found in Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS3/En_US/New Document Profile/Print.ai

change that file and you will be fine.

• 8. Re: Startup default swatches won't change!
                      MADink27 Community Member

I know this is an old post, but I use Windows machines. I can tell you on Adobe programs in Windows, many of the settings are stored in the roaming app data. The easiest way to find roaming app data is to go to start > run (Windows Button + R) and type %appdata% and hit enter. The App Data folder should be: Roaming > Adobe > Adobe Illustrator (Version) Settings > En_ US > New Document Profiles. You can go into your Illustrator settings from there and add document profiles in the Document Profiles Settings.

To change the default swatches, create a new graphic style based on what you want to be default. Alt/Option click the new style and drag it over the original default. You should be able to delete the new style after that as it's now set to default.