23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 9:03 AM by eday_2010

Zooming in effect?

hockeystar2307

Hi, I was making a video and I can't seem to find a way to add a zoom in effect to a particular portion of the video. I know on windows movie maker they have what I am talking about but I cant find it on Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0. Is there a way to do what I want and if so how? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Zooming in effect?
          Paul_LS Level 4

Yes you can, select the clip on the timeline, then select the Properties icon just above the timeline to open the Properties Panel for the clip (or right click on the clip and select Properties). Then select Motion and the Motion panel will open. You can the use Scale to zoom in or out. By using keyframes you can do this over time or vary the rate of zooming. See the Complimentary Product pages over on Muvipix to see some tutorials on Keyframing:

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=42

• 2. Re: Zooming in effect?
            hockeystar2307 Level 1

Ok, I see what you were talking about but i cant figure out how to make it so in my video it slowly zooms in to a specific place.  How do I do that?

• 3. Re: Zooming in effect?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You will need Keyframing. Let's say that you wish to start your Clip at 100% and zoom into 130%, hold, and then zoom back out to 100%. Place the CTI (Current Time Indicator) at the beginning of your Clip. Click the "stopwatch/toggle Keyframe" to add a Keyframe (this one is not really necessary, but like to set the 100% at the beginning, should I do other things later). Move the CTI to the point that you wish the zoom to start, and add another Keyframe with the Keyframe button to the left of that Video Track in the Timeline. Now, move the CTI to the point that you wish to have the full 130% zoom. Add another Keyframe. Move the CTI to the point that you wish to begin the zoom out, and add another Keyframe. Move the CTI to where you wish 100% to be and add a Keyframe. Move to the last frame of the Clip and add the last Keyframe. Again, this last one is not necessary, but I will add this one, in case I make other corrections later. This gives you linear Keyframing, in that the velocity is constant. You can Rt-click the Keyframes in the Timeline and change their Velocity from linear to various Bezier Curves. You can also then adjust the handles on the Bezier Curves to suit your needs. I usually find that the Ease Out from the stationalry point and an Ease In at the next point works fine for most instances.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Zooming in effect?
                ElisabetB Level 1

I have the same question as hockeystar.  And I'm not sure it was answered, although I have a difficult time understanding all the terms.  I want to zoom into one corner (or out of one corner) of a picture and this was simple in Windows Movie Maker 2.5, because they had those ready-made effects.  In Premiere Elements 7 there are some zooms (I understand the 100% and 130% example) and pans, but I don't know which numbers to manipulate to get to zoom into one corner.  It ends up zooming the whole picture into the corner, and that's not what I want.  I want to zoom to a corner WITHIN the picture.

And the screen should stay filled with the picture, although a smaller portion of it, no black space.  Thanks a bunch if you can help me!

Message was edited by: ElisabetB

• 5. Re: Zooming in effect?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In your case, you will want to Keyframe two Effects, Motion>Scale and Motion>Position. You'll have complete control over exactly where you zoom into.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Zooming in effect?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may also find it helpful to download my free article on keyframing from the Muvipix.com products page.

• 7. Re: Zooming in effect?
                      ElisabetB Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I will try that, again.  Somehow  the

numbers seem to be counter-intuitive to me, but if I think I'll get  there.  I had

been trying anchor point too, which didn't solve it for  me.  I can just

see you rolling your eyes, but a lot of the terms kind  of confuse me.  This

is work rather than fun!  But I guess  once I've got my favorite types of

zooms and pans saved as Presets, I'm on a  roll!

And I'll try the link you sent as well.

I'm on the trial version now; if I buy Premiere Elements in the store, will

it have a booklet explaining it all?  I had no trouble understanding  the

Movie Maker, but Premiere is not as intuitive in the animating  Effects. 

They'd probably have more sales if they added some more  Presets like the ones

I'm looking for.

I just upgraded to Vista, and the Movie Maker that Vista has, has  effects

that zoom/pan just slightly different from the previous  version, and

they're not exactly right for me.  So I hope with Premiere I  can do better; I've

already used Photoshop Elements for some years and  enjoy that.

Thanks again,

Elisabeth.

In a message dated 6/22/2009 11:18:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

In your  case, you will want to Keyframe two Effects, Motion>Scale and 

Motion>Position. You'll have complete control over exactly where you zoom  into.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Zooming in effect?
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And, certainly, in addition to the Steve's Tips at Muvipix.com (and the wealth of other free and members tips and tutorials) I've written "The Muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 7" -- still getting very good reviews on Amazon.com.

And, within the next few weeks, you should see my latest book, "The Muvipix.com Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 7", a guide to using both programs together, also available on Amazon and through the Muvipix.com products page.

• 9. Re: Zooming in effect?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

No eye-rolling from me! Keyframing is not that easy a concept to grasp, but when one does, it becomes second nature. It is that initial conceptual phase that trips up a lot of editors.

Maybe it's because I come from an engineering background, a couple of lifetimes ago, but I find that the "numbers" are the easiest way to do it. OTOH, many like to do it in more of a visual sense, with the "bounding box" for the Video. I won't go into a lot of detail, because I think that PE might well handle this differently than PrPro does, and I do not want to either "lie" to you, or confuse you. Steve's articles, and book, go into the proper detail and FOR PE.

Trust me, when you get Keyframing down, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. I use some form, or another, in almost everything I do in Premiere. I can't tell you the last time that I chose any Title animation Preset. I always Keyframe everything, because I am a "control freak," and would rather do it all by hand, than rely on some pre-packaged Preset.

Good luck and do read over Steve's articles. He breaks it down into easy-to-understand terms. Once one "gets it," they'll never look back.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Zooming in effect?
                            ElisabetB Level 1

I think I understand the concept of Keyframing.  At first I just  didn't

even know what a keyframe was.  And I thought that animation effects  were

just for people who made cartoons.  But I'm starting to get  it. 

In some roundabout way, I've already combined identical frames in the Movie

Maker 2.5 (XP Media Center)and applied effects and manipulated timing to 

get effects they didn't have.  (In the Vista version, some of that  doesn't

work.)  So in Premiere Elements it's going to be much more  precise and

flexible.  I think you're right in that once I know how to  work it, I will much

prefer it.

It's actually knowing which little items to click  on and which values to

enter (I'm so off-base with my numbers!), and then  remembering where on

earth I found those sometimes hidden items, that's the  challenge.

I'm going to try it, and I'm glad there's the movipix website out  there

where I can get some help if I need it.

Thanks again,

Elisabeth.

In a message dated 6/23/2009 11:42:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

No  eye-rolling from me! Keyframing is not that easy a concept to grasp,

but when  one does, it becomes second nature. It is that initial conceptual

phase that  trips up a lot of editors.

Maybe it's because I come from an  engineering background, a couple of

lifetimes ago, but I find that the  "numbers" are the easiest way to do it.

OTOH, many like to do it in more of a  visual sense, with the "bounding box" for

the Video. I won't go into a lot of  detail, because I think that PE might

well handle this differently than PrPro  does, and I do not want to either

"lie" to you, or confuse you. Steve's  articles, and book, go into the proper

detail and FOR PE.

Trust  me, when you get Keyframing down, you will wonder how you ever lived

without  it. I use some form, or another, in almost everything I do in

Premiere. I  can't tell you the last time that I chose any Title animation

Preset. I always  Keyframe everything, because I am a "control freak," and would

rather do it  all by hand, than rely on some pre-packaged Preset.

Good luck and  do read over Steve's articles. He breaks it down into

easy-to-understand  terms. Once one "gets it," they'll never look  back.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Zooming in effect?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Elizabeth,

I still have to poke around a bit, when in PE, because I use PrPro and AfterEffects a lot more often. Figuring out where such-and-such is in PE takes me a bit of time, where in the other two programs, things just fall under my fingertips.

Once you get it down, you will never be satisfied with an animation Preset again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                Paul_LS Level 4

Forget your numbers... click on Motion and you will see handles appear around the frame in the monitor... move these to Scale your frame... this will set a keyframe or re- Position the frame.. this will also set a keyframe. As I say you can forget the numbers.,..

• 13. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                  ElisabetB Level 1

Yes, thanks, I did it both ways and it works.

Now if only I will remember how I did this...just kidding.

In a message dated 6/23/2009 5:57:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Forget  your numbers... click on Motion and you will see handles appear

around the  frame in the monitor... move these to Scale your frame... this will

set a  keyframe or re- Position the frame.. this will also set a keyframe.

As I say  you can forget the  numbers.,..

• 14. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                    ElisabetB Level 1

Hi Hunt!

Can you tell me why in the monitor (in Premiere Elements) my pictures are 

all somewhat zoomed in before I do anything with them?  Did I change the 

settings somehow?

Thanks,

Elisabeth.

In a message dated 6/23/2009 5:57:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Forget  your numbers... click on Motion and you will see handles appear

around the  frame in the monitor... move these to Scale your frame... this will

set a  keyframe or re- Position the frame.. this will also set a keyframe.

As I say  you can forget the  numbers.,..

• 15. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                      Paul_LS Level 4

If you right click on a photo in the timeline is Scale to Frame checked? Scale to frame will make your photo fit the frame... if it is not selected it will be at it's resolution so it may appear zoomed in. Ideally if you are going to work with the size of a photo, ie for panning and zooming, it is better to have scale to frame turned off.

• 16. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                        ElisabetB Level 1

Scale to Frame was checked, and it was still somewhat zoomed in compared to

the actual photo.  Is it supposed to be this way?  (When I unchecked 

Scale to Frame, it became much more zoomed.)

In a message dated 6/25/2009 12:21:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

If you  right click on a photo in the timeline is Scale to Frame checked?

Scale to  frame will make your photo fit the frame... if it is not selected

it will be  at it's resolution so it may appear zoomed in. Ideally if you are

going to  work with the size of a photo, ie for panning and zooming, it is

better to  have scale to frame turned  off.

• 17. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                          Paul_LS Level 4

If you right click on the monitor and select Magnification is Fit selected?

And are you sure that it is not actually scaled in Motion?

• 18. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                            ElisabetB Level 1

Bingo!  It was not on Fit.  Thanks so much!

Elisabeth.

In a message dated 6/25/2009 12:35:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

If you  right click on the monitor and select Magnification is Fit 

selected?

• 19. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                              eday_2010 Level 1

I have a question about the zoom in effect. However, I am not sure if the effect should be done in Premeiere or in After Effects.

If you watch the music video below, at 1:09 and 1:22, there is some very erractic and awesome zooming in and out (at 1:22 it looks as though it switches back and forth between two clips). Since a camera cannot zoom that fast, I assume it was done in post production. Is that something that would be done in Premiere, or in After Effects? What about the blurring around the edges of the video?

Basically, how would I recreate all that high speed insane zooming from the video?

My first post, so thanks for any help provided

• 20. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I would do that in AfterEffects, as it offers much more control with regards to Keyframing. Might be possible in PrPro, but would be less work in AE. I think that they also used several differently Scaled instances of some of the same Clips with rapid cuts. Because of the Effects Control Panel in PrE, I'd not look forward to trying it there. At least wth PrPro, one has a better Effects Control Panel to work with. AE's is better still.

It also looks like liberal use of Zoom-Blur (might have a different name, depending on the exact app) was used too.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS welcome to the forum.

• 21. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                                  eday_2010 Level 1

Thanks, and thanks! Now that I know it can be done in After Effects, I'll have to learn how to use it since it's not a project I will be undertaking right away

• 22. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Take your time and experiment. AfterEffects is a very powerful compositing program. Along with that power comes the need to understand how it works. While there are similarities between it and an NLE program, there are vast differences too. Many of the operations' names are different, even if they do the same thing that your NLE does. Many aspects of Keyframing are similar, but then some are quite different.

I got hung up on just the GUI, when adding Keyframes to a Layer (Track in an NLE). The Add Keyframe button looked greyed out, and nothing like the one in PrPro. That was just the "look" of the danged thing. It worked perfectly, just like it should, but looked like a control in PrPro, that was greyed out/not available - well, DUH! on my part. One gets used to certain terms, and doing things in certain ways, and then they change programs and are immediately lost. AE takes time, and I'd start with small Projects (Compositions in AE), and work through every tutorial I could find. The biggest hurdle for me was getting the terminology down, and then the (odd to me) locations for some common operations. After that initial familiarization and the resulting learning curve, things pretty much fell into place. Now, I try to use it as much as possible, even when PrPro can do some things more easily, as I do not want to loose what I have fought so hard to learn.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Zooming in effect?
                                                      eday_2010 Level 1

I'll definitely take my time and experiment. I don't doubt that it will be frustrating, but if and when I get it the way I want, it will be very satisfying!