23 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 3:48 PM by süsi

Save For Web preview (CS4)

süsi Level 1

Save for Web ulitiy is really annoying because it could be made better!

when i click ctrl+alt+shift+s(or use the menu), i'm getting an annoying response from the program, which says:

The image exceeds the size Save for Web & Devices was designed for. You may experience out of memory errors and slow performance. Are you sure you want to continue?

YES   NO

Why is this needed?? I need to click Yes anyway, so what's the point of it? it is just really annoying :S

and after clicking it, i WOULD LIKE to click Escape to cancel loading the preview(like in cs2 or cs3), but instead it will load the preview for the large image and then reads the Escape key, which then closes the Save for Web window. It should really only cancel the preview loading!!!

i like the resize feature which reads the Tab key and automatically resizes the image.

just the start is soooo annoying!

i hope a future update will fix the issues!

thanks!

• 1. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
          Level 7

You're getting the warning for the reasons listed in the warning dialog.

And hitting escape should not have prevented the preview from drawing - that was a bug.

Hitting escape should cancel the SFW dialog, as it now does.

• 2. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Yes the ability to load some of these things without a preview image would be useful. As you said, if you don't need a preview, its an annoying waste of time wating for the preview to build.

Its not just Save for Web either - the Liquify dialog when you are simply loading a saved grid, Or Vanishing Point, and the eternally clunky "Filter Gallery" dialog all have this problem.  Perhaps a keyboard shortcut held while opening the filters,

• 3. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
              Level 7

If you do not need a preview, don't use SFW.  Just save as GIF, PNG or JPEG.

• 4. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Yes options arent there though - its only used when the shortcut Optimise to file size is needed, or you actually need to minimize file size, which as far as I'm aware are only availble through SFW?

• 5. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                  Zeno Bokor Level 6

the SFW dialog gives you that error message only if the file on disk is larger than about 22mb. Why would you try to put such a monster on a website? that would be larger than 3000x2500 pixels, better off making a duplicate of the image, resizing it and adding some sharpening if needed and then saving for the web a smaller version of it

• 6. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                    süsi Level 1

that's the beauty of the SFW - you don't need a duplicate of the file and don't need to resize it separately.

i want to make the "monster" a bit smaller in the SFW tool - i just don't need to see the monster in the preview

• 7. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Unfortunately SFW wasn't designed for Monsters.

• 8. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                        süsi Level 1

well, it could be. with couple of little additions...

• 9. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                          sfjedi Level 1

süsi wrote:

well, it could be. with couple of little additions...

It could be? More like it SHOULD be! In fact, the prompt shouldn't even be there! Instead, it should just bring up the SFW dialogue with a yellow exclamation alert somewhere on it that says why the preview isn't loading and how you can just click the box to see the preview if you're willing to bite the bullet on performance or out of memory errors. Prompts like this should only be used as a last resort, as they are absolutely annoying! And every prompt like this should have a check box on it that says "Don't ever show me this again!"

• 10. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                            süsi Level 1

^---- what he said

aren't these kinds of things written down in programming schoolbooks?

• 11. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                              sfjedi Level 1

süsi wrote:

aren't these kinds of things written down in programming schoolbooks?

Probably so, but I wouldn't know because I taught myself most of the programming I know and I think things like this are just common sense!

I'm sure there's guidelines somewhere about all of this, but programmers will always do stupid things. It's inevitable, because only 10% of the programmers out there actually have this common sense and though I'd really like to bash on a country or two, I'll hold my tongue.

• 12. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                harry teasley Level 1

I've been in software development for two decades now, and these sort of "stupid programmer" comments generally translate as, "I actually have no clue about this stuff." Adobe devs, I'm quite sure, have many more scaling issues, many more edge cases, many more general stability concerns than any single user could possibly know about. Not to mention a lot of things to do, that they can't do all things in every version. The sort of hackery that amateur scripters think is great does not cut the mustard at the highest levels.

Everyone wants a pony, and they say "stupid devs" when they don't get one.

• 13. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                  sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

I've been in software development for two decades now, and these sort of "stupid programmer" comments generally translate as, "I actually have no clue about this stuff."

Hmm, well I only have 15 years so I guess that extra 5 years makes all the difference.

Adobe devs, I'm quite sure, have many more scaling issues, many more edge cases, many more general stability concerns than any single user could possibly know about. The sort of hackery that amateur scripters think is great does not cut the mustard at the highest levels.

You make some strong implications! Though you don't specifically mention my name, this is a direct response to what I said, so I think it's safe to say you're talking about me. FYI, I'm not an amateur scripter.

Everyone wants a pony, and they say "stupid devs" when they don't get one.

I did say that some programmers do stupid things, but that doesn't make them stupid. I know some excellent developers that have done stupid things, but their reputation overshadows it. I'm sure Adobe is no exception and this feature request is definitely proof of that!

What do you think about this particular feature request, Harry? You think it works swell the way it is? Or is that your idea of "good programming?"

• 14. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                    harry teasley Level 1

sfjedi wrote:

What do you think about this particular feature request, Harry? You think it works swell the way it is? Or is that your idea of "good programming?"

1. An ignorant question. I have no idea why it is coded to behave the way it does.

2. I don't care, I never use it.

• 15. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                      sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

1. An ignorant question. I have no idea why it is coded to behave the way it does.

2. I don't care, I never use it.

You love to patronize people! Okay, I can play...

The question, in and of itself, is not ignorant; though, you may be too ignorant concerning the matter to answer the question. Do you know what the word ignorant means? Because your usage of it is rather ignorant. Unless, of course, you're claiming that I don't know how you feel concerning the feature request, which is silly because that argument would claim that every non-rhetorical question is ingorant by its very nature! Which, if this were the case, your claim of the question's ignorance is not actually distinguishing it as any different from any other (non-rhetorical) question in existence! So then, why ask it? That was rhetorical, so there's actually no need to answer it and any attempt at labeling it as ignorant will fail.

If you don't care about this feature request then why did you bother to drop your two cents into the discussion?

• 16. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                        harry teasley Level 1

sfjedi wrote:

If you don't care about this feature request then why did you bother to drop your two cents into the discussion?

One last time...

It was an ignorant question because you have nothing upon which to base a judgment about whether it was implemented well or not: you have no clue as to the design criteria for the feature, or any hardware, OS, compatibility, or legacy code limitations that were lived with when the feature was implemented. You certainly have no basis to be throwing around comments about how few coders have common sense, or how stupid this was.

You. Have. No. Information. Thus you are ignorant. Your question was one about a value judgment on a topic where neither you nor I have any information. So you asked an ignorant question. And you did it amazingly rudely.

I jumped in because you're being amazingly rude about the abilities and performance of devs behind one of the most successful software products ever, and going further, throwing accusations around about all devs everywhere. Which tells me that, whatever protestations of professionalism and coding prowess you avow, you've probably never worked in a development house on a real product, with real customers.

Learn the tool.

• 17. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                          sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

You've probably never worked in a development house on a real product, with real customers.

You. Are. Wrong there! If you get in an accident and a medical professional logs your injury data into their system, there's a good chance that I singlehandedly developed the software through which they are able to navigate a simulated, interative, anatomical, 3D human model that allows them to very specifically identify where you were injured and what kind of injury it was, along with any details.

If you know any lawyers, there's a good chance they have used two different applications I've also singlehandedly developed, which allows them to fulfil their continuing legal education (CLE) credit for the year, along with live broadcasting and archived content.

The software in which I have been involved residually pulls in hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. It's no Photoshop, but it's no blog either!

And I would constantly deal with "feature requests" every single day. I can't remember a single feature request that I turned down. I might have had to be creative to find a way to work it in, so as not to confuse existing users and such, but there was always a way to do it!

This particular feature request though? In this discussion? This is not even close to a complicated feature request! Maybe for you it is, but I make no presumptions as to your experience and/or logical abilities, unlike SOME PEOPLE I know...

If you think I'm being rude about it man it's all karma. I started off with a good attitude until you starting rolling patronizing remarks. I'm so not worthy to be in your presence.

• 18. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                            sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

I jumped in because you're being amazingly rude about the abilities and performance of devs behind one of the most successful software products ever.

Then why not chew on Mark Reynolds as well?

In a previuos discussion, Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

"you'd know that: anything trivially doable as an Action is not going to get high on the dev feature list, and rightly so." I wouldn't bet on it Harry- some of the tweaks they are passing off as new features certainly fall into that category. My opinion is that in the last 5 or so years at Adobe even the new engineering staff seem to be uneducated about Actions, their possibilities, and the more advanced feature list.

• 19. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                              harry teasley Level 1

sfjedi wrote:

Then why not chew on Mark Reynolds as well?

Mark has proved he knows what he's talking about. And he wasn't as rude as you are.

As soon as you show you know more than the barest minimum about PS, that you've tried different ways of tackling issues, then I'll start taking you somewhat seriously. So far, you've shown no knowledge of PS's history, and thus have no context for why things are the way they are. Newbs to the app discount the importance of the history of the app, but Adobe doesn't: there are a lot of PS users who have used the app a long time, and who will riot if certain things change.

• 20. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                                sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

Mark has proved he knows what he's talking about.

I really don't know why you keep implying that I don't know what I'm talking about, seeing as every single feature request discussion I've created still remains to this day a viable feature request and not some, "Oh! I didn't know that. Thanks!"

And he wasn't as rude as you are.

Coming from someone so polite as yourself, I really don't think you have any authority to speak on such matters. Even the first words from your lips (to me) were rude, so don't be such a hypocrite. The problem with the developer comment is that, truly, I was probably being generous by saying 10%. The number is probably lower, and the only people that are bothered by comments like these is the other 90%, which is why I'm not suprised that you took it so personally.

As soon as you show you know more than the barest minimum about PS, that you've tried different ways of tackling issues, then I'll start taking you somewhat seriously.

Last time I checked, this was a feature request forum. Not a "find other ways of doing it" forum like you have so clearly shown you think it is. I realize there are different ways to achieve goals, but this is not always the most logical, intuitive or efficient way of doing it. If you have your own logical way of doing something, then great, but you are not everyone, so don't assume that "your solution" is the best or only way it "should" be done.

So far, you've shown no knowledge of PS's history, and thus have no context for why things are the way they are.

I don't give a crap why things are the way they are and I don't give a flying hoot about PS's history! I didn't realize that a knowledge of PS's history was required to post a simple feature request! I thought the only knowledge required is that a particular feature is not in the application as it stands today, which STILL remains 100% true of all the feature request discussions I've posted. But I guess I should read my history books so I can become "qualified" to post in these forums!

Newbs to the app discount the importance of the history of the app, but Adobe doesn't: there are a lot of PS users who have used the app a long time, and who will riot if certain things change.

This is too funny, because somehow you think these feature requests are "changing" the app for experienced users, when, in fact, they are only "adding" more functionality! Nothing is being stripped out. Nothing is being removed. Nothing is being CHANGED! You should really learn to distinguish the differerence.

You say you're a developer of 20 years? I can only begin to imagine how "robbed" everyone felt when they came to you with feature requests and your answer was, "It's not possible."

• 21. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Not so sure I do know what I'm taking about, when it comes to anything important.

• 22. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                                    sfjedi Level 1

Chris Cox wrote:

If you do not need a preview, don't use SFW.  Just save as GIF, PNG or JPEG.

Part of the reason I use SFW is because it's a fast way to get some additional options like a choice between PNG-8 and PNG-24. There's other options in there too that aren't available in a typical Save As...

• 23. Re: Save For Web preview (CS4)
                                                      süsi Level 1

it should be easy fix, so i hope it's going to be done

pisses me off more and more each time