11 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 6:56 AM by the_wine_snob

Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?

TommyESV

I've imported several different video clips into different sequences and most do not have any audio.  I've checked them all out and they play fine in a media player, but when I import them for some reason the audio is not importing?  I don't know.  I need help!

I'm probably just doing something wrong.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Tommy

• 1. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tommy,

Most likely this is a CODEC issue. Tell us more about these files. G-Spot will give you all of the CODEC info. Different media players will use available CODEC's better than most NLE programs will.

This is very common with both DivX and Xvid CODEC files. The other common problem is Audio, but no Video. A few MPEG's can exhibit your problem, but more often they just do not Import, or will have OOS issues.

Please furnish the full details of these files, and someone will likely have exact answer. Chances are good that you will need to convert these files, prior to Import into PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
            TommyESV Level 1

Thanks for the info Hunt!  And the assistance.  The files are all Mpeg files.  But a little detailed history on the files may help too.

All the video was originally recorded on a Sony DCR-DVD505.  I used the Sony Picture Package Software to pull the video off of the camera and it automatically saved the files to my HD as MPEGs.

From there I just attempted importing them in to PPRO.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit that there are Codec issues because that Picture Package software that came with the camera is pretty flakey.

Any suggestions on what program I should use to convert the files?  And maybe more importantly, what file type should I convert to?  I don't know if PPRO prefers certain video file types over others.

And...I'm a windows xp pro user.  I'm sure that's relevant too!  ;-)

Ok.  Let me know!

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It could also be that these .MPG files are MPEG-1. Some of those can cause problems too. G-Spot is still worth the effort, as you can then be sure.

Now, PrPro likes DV-AVI Type II files with 48KHz 16-bit Audio best. That is the ideal to feed into it.

I use DigitalMedia Converter, a US$50 shareware program to do my conversions. There are also freeware programs available, but do not know, or use these. Some get high marks.

One thing to try first, would be to Import these into Windows Movie Maker, and see if you can Export to DV-AVI. These will be Type I (not Type II), but might work well. Sometimes, there are OSS issues with DV-AVI Type I files, but the OOS is constant (does not drift with the Duration), and can usually be adjusted in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
                TommyESV Level 1

Thanks for all the help.  Very appreciated.  I'm going to try Gspot now and then convert if I have to.  If that doesn't work...well, I'll be back!  Thanks again.

Tommy

• 5. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
                  fljournalist

We use the small Sony Handycams at work, and we found that the audio wouldn't import into PPCS4 after we installed the 4.01 update. Supposedly that issue will be fixed with the upcoming update; in the meantime, we rolled back all our workstations to 4.0 and audio is working fine.

• 6. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
                    TommyESV Level 1

Hey there!  This may be what I was looking for!  Excellent.  How would you suggest I "roll back" to 4.0?  I just got CS4, so I'm still learning.  Please advise and thank you so much for taking time to help!  Very appreciated.

Tommy

• 7. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
                      TommyESV Level 1

Ok.  Check that.  I'm working in 4.0.0.  Crap.  Any other thoughts?

• 8. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
                        fljournalist Level 1

There is something else you can try, which worked with CS3, but I'm not  sure it will work on CS4.

If you have Encore, copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file and put it in Premiere's  root directory. It's the decoder file for ac3 audio.

I tried this with CS4 on my laptop and it didn't work for me, but my  colleague tried it on a networked computer and it worked, as long as he  was logged in as an administrator.

Sony cameras aren't known for playing nice with editing programs. We  have the same sound problems when we try to use Final Cut Express.

If all else fails, MPEG Streamclip - a free program - can convert the  files into DV format pretty quickly. Then they will go into Premiere or  Final Cut with no problems.

• 9. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, checked out the camera's specs. and it records in DD 5.1 SS using AC3 format. In previoud versions of PrPro, one could just copy over the AC3 .dll from Encore and PrPro would ingest the AC3 Audio fine. I have read conflicting reports on CS4's ability to do this.

You might have some success with info on this LINK. There were more in the old Adobe fora, but those links have died, since the forum change. I do not have CS4, so I cannot give you the exact .dll (name changes slightly version to version, but has "ac3" in it. It will be found in Encore and a copy of it needs to be placed in PrPro.

I'd try the copy technique and see if it works. Next the upcoming (later this month?) CS4 update, 4.1 is supposed to fix a lot of things. This might be one of them. Exact release date has not been given, so patience will likely reward you.

Note that you will have an extra Audio Track in your Timeline, either by your, or PrPro's creation. Instead of a little single, or double speaker icon, it will have "5.1" in the header. You will not be able to move this Audio to one of the Audio Tracks with the speaker icons, because of it's type.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Your best bet currently is to convert the AC3 audio to 48 KHz stereo WAV. You may need to demux first. Use Google to find a converter, there are many freeware ones available. Copying the AC3 DLL from Encore to PR does not work in CS4 IIRC. Haven't tried it (no need to in my case) bit I seem to recall that others tried it and were not successfull.

• 11. Re: Why do my imported Video clips have no audio?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Duh! Nevermind. Hit wrong button. You covered it completely.

Hunt