Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF

AshleyJonesLovells

Hi there

This PDF:

http://www.maxdata.de/Produkte/Download/MPL_500_I_M6.pdf

was rendered using Visagesoft to PDF 1.2

It opens fine in Reader 8.

It opens fine in Acrobat Pro 9

But Reader 9.1 locks up when we try to open it in our environment.

Can anyone else open this with Reader 9?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Works fine here on both Mac and Windows.

I'm assuming that those versions of Reader having problems work fine on other PDF's?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF
            Sando75

Hi,

I tried opening this with Adobe 9.1, "Browser Disabled" and it locked up for me as well.  I then changed tried to open on a seperate test machine with Adobe 9.1 "Browser "Enabled", and it opened successfully inside Internet Explorer 7.  To enable your version of Reader 9.1 to be browser enabbled, go to Edit menu, Preferences, internet, and tick Display PDF in Browser.

Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF
              AshleyJonesLovells Level 1

Thanks for trying it.

We are finding that a very small number of PDFs won't open properly and this one is typical.  It was only when we started deploying it that the problem was noticed and it seems to relate to the tools used to render the PDFs.

• 4. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF

Just in case anyone else sees this, can you open the attached?

Our experience is that it will sometimes open if Reader is already running.  If Reader is not running, it will try to start and lock up before opening the document.  On my dual-core machine the Reader process sits there eating up 50% of CPU time until I kill the process.

This one is rendered by our firm's Client Relationship Managemtn application which renders as PDF 1.2 using "Data Dynamics ActiveReports for .NET"

We have deployed 9.1 to hundreds of users, including completely distinct installation packages and we get the same behaviour everywhere.  We have paused our multi-thousand user deployment in light of this.

I have tried this on a machine at home that works fine, so I am now doubly interested in anyone who cannot open it, to try and establish commonalities in environment.

More....  I have had four laptops built from scratch with Windows XP SP2.  I have then installed Adobe Reader 9.1 - nothing else.  The attached PDF locks up Reader. 

CAN YOU OPEN THE ATTACHED WITH READER 9 and XP?  Please let me know.

• 5. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF

SOLUTION

I know with Adobe Reader, as with everything in life, you get exactly the support you pay for.  That'll be nothing, then.

Anyway here's our solution to our own problem in case you get the same thing.

Process Monitor revealed the truth.

The chris.pdf file needed - for no good reason - the Korean codepage file:
                  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\TypeSupport\Unicode\Mappings\win\CP949.TXT
                  Installing the Korean font pack fixes the problem, as it deploys this file. 
                  Just having a "fake" version of CP949.TXT (based on CP1250.TXT) also works.  The benefit being that the real one is 790K and the fake is 10K.
                  It seems to fix all the issues we had with our CRM's PDFs and the Maxdata site PDFs also work.
                  The CRM is Lexus Nexus's InterAction 5.6
                  • 6. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF
                    RockDBA

Hello All !

For years I have used Adobe Reader to read the PDF docs from the Oracle Corporation web sites.  Worked great !

Then I downloaded and installed Adobe Reader 9.1 and found this worked great for USGS Topo map PDF's.  That's the good news...

However when trying to use Adobe Reader 9.1 on any PDF downloaded from Oracle Corporation web sites, it just  goes into a spin and use 50% CPU, apparently forever.  Have to kill it with Process Explorer.

I am on a Lenovo PC, with 2 GB RAM using XP SP3.

So for now, I use a 3rd party PDF reader (I only discovered such, today...) for PDF's downloaded from Oracle Corporation web sites, and use Adobe Reader 9.1 for USGS topo PDF's.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks!

Rock.

• 7. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF

Without wanting to sound silly, have you tried the fix I posted in this thread?

• 8. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF
                        RockDBA Level 1

Hi Ashley,

Yes, I tried your (very creative!) solution, but it did not help.

I think it was a near hit, since I believe that Oracle puts a lot of Asian fonts (or code pages?) into it's PDFs.

I see on my other 3 workstaions and servers that Adobe Reader 8.1.1 works perfect there on the Oracle Doc libraries.

Oddly, I cannot revert to 8.1.1 since Reader 9.1 is installed on my primary workstation.

BTW, I wanna keep 9.1. since it works nice with Maps....

Cheers!

Rock.

Oracle DBA,

Oracle Corp

Colorado Springs, CO

• 9. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF

With it almost being a possible near success :-) you could extend the thinking to install ALL of the Adobe language packs (as a proof of concept, if not necessarily a fix)?

Have you got a non-contentious PDF that you could attach here so I can try it on one of our PCs?

Cheers

Ashley

• 10. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF
                            RockDBA Level 1

Hello Ashley,

Attached is the smallest PDF that causes the lock up.

Thanks!

Rock.

• 11. Re: Reader 9.1 locks up with this PDF

Sorry for the delay, I have been on holiday.  There doesn't seem to be an attachment - perhaps you hit the forum size limit.