3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 10:16 PM by Mark A. Boyd

Director with Chroma Key // Genlock

MAC800 Level 1

Hello anyone have advice towards where to buy a good (near broadcast) quality Genlock?      I don't care the genlock is 'green' 'blue' 'black'

I searched all over the web. Did not have to much luck

Did find the below

http://www.ambery.com/pcvgatovimeg.html

I was thinking anything good would cost 500-800$    Anyone have suggestions ? 

• 1. Re: Director with Chroma Key // Genlock
          Gruntbuggly

This is a little non-sensical, but perhaps I can help.  I work in video production full time.  Do you want genlock source?  Or are you looking for a chroma-key package of some type?

Genlock is one generic term for a video sync source.  For a good one, capable of field order edits can cost thousands, one for hi-def could cost more.  To do this on the cheap, any steady video signal can be used (in a pinch) as a sync source.  You could use an old camera with the lesn cap on for all it matters.  It would not be the most stable, but it would work.  Generally, only black is used for genlock, no other color.

I'm thinking that you're using the wrong term for what you're looking for.  Perhaps this helps.

• 2. Re: Director with Chroma Key // Genlock
            MAC800 Level 1

Follow Up

What I mean is the following --- Kind of like the weather forecast (green screen) But Director would have all but the left corner green, and that small corner would be superimposed over LIVE TV

Does not have to be green, could be blue or black

Thanks

• 3. Re: Director with Chroma Key // Genlock
              Mark A. Boyd Level 4

I think you're asking about downstream keyers.

I've been out of the biz too long to offer current advice, but back when

I was deep in it, the saying "You get what you pay for" was totally

accurate for this type of hardware. Even within the various "Consumer",

"Pro-sumer", and "Professional" price ranges.

Maybe things have changed since then, though.

--

Mark A. Boyd

Keep-On-Learnin'

MAC800 wrote the following:

Follow Up

What I mean is the following --- Kind of like the weather forecast (green screen) But Director would have all but the left corner green, and that small corner would be superimposed over LIVE TV

Does not have to be green, could be blue or black

Thanks

>

1 person found this helpful