10 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2009 5:30 AM by MadManChan2000

Cannot open my raw files in CS2

tayacan

I have CS2 installed for many years, and have always been able to open my NEF raw files. All by a sudden they will not open, and I get this message:

"Could not complete your request, because it is not the right kind of document."

I have checked that the plugin is in the plugin folder, but downloaded and installed it once again (although I had doubts of what folder exactly to place the plugin, so I placed it in several folders.

I have a NIKON D80 camera, and recently purcvhase a D90. But none of the NEF Raw files from the cameras will open in CS2.

What has gone wrong??

Michael

• 1. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
          John Joslin Level 6

If you had read the instructions you would have seen that that is not the correct folder; and having the plug-in in several folders is also bad.

If you stated your OS version I could tell you where to put it.

• 2. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

But that is not the problem here.  The D90 will never be supported by ACR in Photoshop CS2.  That camera was released long after CS2 support ended.  First of all, you want to make sure you have installed ACR 3.7 in the right folder, and ONLY in the right folder.  Get rid of every other copy and version of ACR that is on your system.

Then you want to download the most current version of the DNG converter.  This is a freestanding separate program you can run that will create DNG (Digital negative) copies of your NEF files.  Those files can be opened with Photoshop CS2/ACR 3.7.

If you want native support for your raw files it will be necessary for you to upgrade to Photoshop CS4, or get Lightroom, or purchase Photoshop Elements.

• 3. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
              tayacan Level 1

I run a windows XP, with all the service packs installed.

Frankly I have no idea, in which folder to put the plugin. But I assumed, that the Plugin folder, was the logical one.

So very helpful, if you could inform me of the correct folder.

And thanks for your help.

Michael

• 4. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
                tayacan Level 1

Thanks Jim

I have downloaded the DNG converter, and that works fine. I convert my NEF raw files, and can open the dng files in CS2's raw converter. I don't understand why - but it WORKS.

I am curious about lightroom. Whats the difference between Photosho and Light room?  Can I work in layers in lightroom, or easier, what can't I do in Lightroom, that I can in Photoshop.

Michael

• 5. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
                  John Joslin Level 6

JimHess wrote:

But that is not the problem here.  The D90 will never be supported by ACR in Photoshop CS2.

Hey Jim

I suspected that but I couldn't find the list of what camera needs what version, which I'm sure was linked from the old ACR forum page, along with a few other useful documents.

Do you know where it is?

• 6. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

John,

I just knew that mainly because Photoshop CS2 is now more than three years old and hasn't been supported for more than two years, and the D90 is less than one year old.  I might be wrong, but I believe the first version of Camera Raw that supported the camera was version 4.6.  And that is only compatible with Photoshop CS3.

Michael,

Lightroom is a nondestructive editor, similar to ACR.  It has all of the editing tools that are available in the current version of Camera Raw.  It also has some file management features, printing features, and other tools that are valuable to photographers.  It does not have layers.  It's the same idea as camera raw, you do as much editing as you can in Lightroom.  Then if you need more you need to resort to Photoshop.

The DNG format is one developed by Adobe in an attempt to "standardize" the raw formats from all cameras.  A DNG file can be opened by any version of ACR beginning with version 2.4, which was only compatible with Photoshop CS.

• 7. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

John Joslin wrote:

…I couldn't find the list of what camera needs what version, which I'm sure was linked from the old ACR forum page, along with a few other useful documents.

Do you know where it is?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

• 8. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
                        John Joslin Level 6

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

Thanks for that!  It is something else that got lost in the transition to Jive.

Time for the moderator to get busy – if he still is the moderator!

• 9. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
                          tayacan Level 1

Thanks everybody for your help and further info.

I think I will stick with the DNG converter. It also solves the problem with my Nikon D90 raw files.

I have installed it and it works.

Thanks for info on Lightroom. I just looked the price up, and thats pretty steep, considering that it is basically a raw converter, with non of the facilities of Photoshop. Then I will rather upgrade to CS4.

• 10. Re: Cannot open my raw files in CS2
                            MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

tayacan, just FYI, LR is not basically just a raw converter. It's designed around a photographic workflow in general, to handle import, organization of images, metadata, slideshows, batch printing, and web galleries, in addition to raw conversion. Just something to keep in mind as you're evaluating your options.