5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 1:44 PM by Stian Klaussen

AE CS4 - Render to: 1920x1080 (1.0) MPEG4 Problems

GoForItNow Level 1

Hi,

I have moved a one minute video from Premiere Pro CS4 to AE CS4 in order to pice up things a little. In Premiere I render using format H.264, 25fps, 1920x1080 which works fine, however trying to do the same in AE seams tricky. I really can't find the same settings.

I have tried using quicktime in AE, and sometime I manage to get a working file, for my target device WD TV (spec as below)

Now, can anybody please tell me what's going on. Surely I must be possible to render for the same target spec i AE as in Premiere?

Thanks!

Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264),
      MTS, TP, TS
      Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
      Subtitle -SRT (UTF-8), SMI, SUB, ***, SSA
      Note:
      - MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 supports up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution

• 1. Re: AE CS4 - Render to: 1920x1080 (1.0) MPEG4 Problems
          yenaphe Level 4

When you rendered your movie from Premiere, did you render using a presset from AME (Adobe Media Encoder) ?

If so, you have 2 solutions:

1). Launch AME and select "File > import After effect Comp" and in the dialog, select your AE project and then the comp you want to render. Once imported into the batch line, select your presset and hit render.

2). If you want to render inside AE. Select your comp, add it to the render queue (ctrl-m on PC, cmd-m on Mac) and in the output module setting select "h264" as video type, and clic on "format option" and you will find the same options that you can find in AME. Just set your resolution and framerate.

Don't forget to adjust your resolution in the render menu if your comp is not 1920x1080.

One last thing. On the specs you provided, it does say 24p and 30 1080i. As you are rendering 25fps, maybe you have to render it in 1080i (meaning interlaced, upper field first). Try to render it i nprogressive mode too, but i guess it can be source of your problem.

Hope that helps,

Seb

• 2. Re: AE CS4 - Render to: 1920x1080 (1.0) MPEG4 Problems
            GoForItNow Level 1

Hi Sébastien!

Thanks for your helpfull answer. Option (2), i.e. using AME got me going, however trying to do the same within AE still don't work as there are no presets representing HD in the Format Option dialog. In Premiere I got HDTV presets, but not in AE. If I choose and preset in AE, and then try to change it's values I can't find a way of setting the resolution (as in AME).

Thanks again!

/Harald   

• 3. Re: AE CS4 - Render to: 1920x1080 (1.0) MPEG4 Problems
              yenaphe Level 4

Nice solution 1) worked for you.

For solution 2) you don't really need an HDTV presset. In output module, select h264 and then go to the format option.

Select custom as a preset, and in the video tab:

change your framerate to 25, field order to progressive (or upper field first), select profil Main and level 4.1 (same as bluray specs, produces good results), and then adjust your bitrate. If you don't know the max bitrate your WDTV can handle, you can still go to AME and check the one used in your HDTV preset.

No go to the audio tab to adjust depending on your need (default values should be ok)

Now you can save your preset by clicking on the floppy icon on the right of the preset name (currently custom). Select azny name you want.

Close the format option.

Back to the output module, look at the stretch property (unchecked by default). If the grayed content shows 1920x180 leave it unchecked. If not, check it and streatch to 1920x180.

Be sure to chack audio too if it's not checked. And you are ready to got.

Of your if you want the exact same preset than the HDTV one in ame/premiere, you can open AME, select the preset and review it's values. Mark them down on a paper and then put the same value inside AE and create a preset as above.

Then only thing you cannot do in AE (and thus, never use AE for final broadcast encoding, but for uncompressed master encoding) is dual pass encoding.

Hope that helps

Seb

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AE CS4 - Render to: 1920x1080 (1.0) MPEG4 Problems
                GoForItNow Level 1

Hi there!

I noticed that I tend to write "2" meaning "1" and vice versa, but You realise what I'm trying to say anyhow .

Thanks for pointing out how to render from AE. I do follow your instructions all the way, until the save icon. I can't find any buttons for saving the preset in AE. In AME it's sure there, but not in AE. I'll see Folder and the Trash-can icons. No Save .

As you might have noticed I'm only a couple of days into my movie making experience. And I'm just realized that part of the stuggle I've faced is due to a faulty memory stick (ZAP 16 GB). When started up with Premiere I renderd the movie and copied the file into the memory stick. The WD TV, reads the stick and plays the movie. After switching to AF for more spiced effects, the movie suddenly didn't play as well as before. Now the movie played jerky (not smooth). As I couldn't find the same preset in AE as in AME, I thought it had to do with that. The move had become more difficult to play was my conclusion.

We'll after 24 hours testing I finnally started to suspecting the memory stick, when noticed that deliting files took a long time. I tested an other stick (SanDisk) and suddelny all problems where gone. The most weird thing is that the first movie I copied into the stick still plays well, but the later files copied into the stick are difficult to play and to delete. So, I'll guess that nothing can stop me now

Now I'll Zappig me over to the store where I got the ZAP memory stick, and talk serious with the manager

/Harald

• 5. Re: AE CS4 - Render to: 1920x1080 (1.0) MPEG4 Problems
                  Stian Klaussen Level 1

FINALLY!

I have tried over and over again with no luck. I Followed the steps posted here, and it all worked flawlessly.

Thanks a lot!

Stian, Northern Norway – the land of the midnight sun ;-)