23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 1:18 PM by Steve Grisetti

Problem with transistions and avi files

fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Hello All... Here's my problem. I start a new project with pre7.  From the setup screen i choose Pal, Dv, Widescreen 48khz. I then proceed to adding my AVI files (Shoots taken with a Sony HVR-HD1000) to the timeline. The first thing i noticed is there was NO red line above the timeline (The red line that turns green once you have rendered) So i proceed with adding a crossfade transition. This is where the problems starts. Once I have added a transition it seems to not want to work. I hit play the transition does not work, I render the file still the transition does not work. I cant work out what is causing this problem. If i use Mpeg files all is ok. It only happens with these avi files recorded on cam mentioned above. I have reported this to Adobe but there response is like waiting for jesus to fall from the sky..! (Reported 2weeks ago) So do any of you guys out here know what I MAY be doing wrong or what the problem maybe..? Has anyone one else experienced this problem and found a work around.? Thanks to all for your feedback...

P.s This problem does happen with any installed transition.

• 1. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It appears that that camera shoots on miniDV tape. When Captured, that footage should come to Timeline with a green bar, as it does not need to be Rendered. I am assuming that you're working in SD. Is that correct?

Now for the Transitions. If you are going to use Cross-Dissolve, or almost anything but Dip-to-Black, you need to consider the Handles. These are the frames that will be included in the Transition area - half as many frames, as the Duration of the Transition. With your Clips butted up to each other, the applied Transitions *should* automatically include the necessary Handle frames. I cannot imagine why this is not working. Check that there are no "gaps" between the Clips. Even a 1 frame gap can cause Transitions to not function properly.

As a test, substitute a Dip-to-Black instead. The line above the Transition should turn red, though you do not need to Render, especially as this is a test. Does the Dip-to-Black work properly?

I have read of a Bug with Transitions in PrPro CS4, and the "workaround" is to add an Opacity Keyframe to each Clip. The value of this Keyframe does not need to be changed from the default of 100%, but must be entered for Transitions to function. Could be something similar in PE7 (a lot of the code is common between these two programs). Would be worth a try. This Bug is due to be fixed in the CS4 4.1 update. If it exists in PE7, one would hope that Adobe will do an update for PE7 about the same time as the 4.1 update (scheduled for release in late May).

Otherwise, I do not know why they are not working.

Good luck, and please report back,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
            Paul_LS Level 4

No RED line above a DV-AVI file in the timeline is correct... if you had one it would show a problem

Regarding your transitions... are you simply splitting a clip and adding a transition at the break? If so you will not see the crossfade, if you do it between two clips then you will.

• 3. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul_LS,

I had not considered the possibility of a Clip being split. That could explain why there was nothing to Transition to/from. In that case, there would also be no red line for the added Transition, as nothing will have changed.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Thanks for speedy responce guys... Do i understand right here.. When i drop an AVI to the time line the bar above should remain grey..? No red no green..? I have tried the opacity trick still no luck.. There are also no gaps between avi files on timeline.. when i add a transition between two clips i get a black screen at the time of transition. Keep em coming guys. Seems im getting a more speedy responce from this forum as apose to Adobe them selfs..!

• 5. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                  fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

P.S Dip to black seems to work...! Please advise..?

• 6. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure that we're looking at the same spots on the Timeline. See attached image. Note: you may have to scroll down your Timeline view to see this.

Still thinking about the Transitions. Are these un-cut Clips?

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                      fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Wine_snob.. We are on the  same page here fella.! The problem happens with cut and uncut clips..  soon as i place a transition between clips i get a black out..!

Thanks for responce fella.!

• 8. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Do me a favor, and post a screen-cap from your Timeline showing the Clips and the Transitions. Maybe something will trigger there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                          fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

OK so i found the problem... VAIO EDIT COMPONANTS. When i unistall v6.5 all seems to work fine.. With VEC transitions seem to black out... Any ideas...?

• 10. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                            fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

OK.. Guys im sorry for puzzling you all.. I have found the problem.. Its to do with the Sony Vaio Edit Componants plugins.. Soon as i removed them all the problems with all transitions had gone.! So it looks like ill be on the phone to sony come onday morning.. Thanks to all for your input..!

• 11. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting back. There were some earlier display issues with VAIO computers. Do not recall the particulars, but I believe that this is a new one. I've logged this into my mind for future reference. Just for my knowlege, can you tell me a bit more about the Vaio Edit Components? Have never heard of these.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Vaio edit Componants are some very usefull plugins.. In fact some off the plugins are kick ***.. But theres a catch.. You can only use them with a Sony Vaio. You can also use the proxy editing feature too... But right now these plugins are having some major problems....!

• 13. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. I was completely unfamiliar with these, and have not even heard the name.

Are they primarily plug-ins for the various Vegas programs?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                    Paul_LS Level 4

They are plug-ins for Premiere Hunt, the Vaios come preloaded with Premiere not Vegas... good marketing eh!!!

• 15. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                      fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

So i managed to get these plugins to work.. All i done was imported an mpeg2 file onto the timeline then deleted it. And all transitions work. This is funny but totally true.. Seems when i start a Dv project with avi files i get black spots @ point of transitions, but if i add a mpeg2 file to the timeline and delete it soon after the transitions work okay. Weird i know... The other way was to start a project using the HDV preset settings, But then i had to render all the avi files recorded in SD. Ill get onto Sony monday morning and TRY explain this....

• 16. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting workaround, to say the least. I cannot come up with any reason why this should work, but then there is much in the Universe, that I do not understand. I have one copy of PrPro2 that Imports and edits FLV files (and one that does not). This should not be possible, as the feature was not added until CS3 and doesn't work well in either CS3, or CS4. I'm trying to find out why and how.

Thanks for the tip. Other Vaio users can benefit from your work and patience. I will link to this thread, when they bump up against this issue.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                          fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

No problems Hunt.. I must say i learnt a few little things from posting this thread too.. I consider myself to be an expert with the vaio's so if anyone needs any tech support feel free to shout me,  ill help where i can .. Cheers... Levi

• 18. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Again, thanks. I'm linking to this for a contributor in the CS4 forum, who is building a VAIO (for his daughter, I think).

Hunt

• 19. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

This may seem presumptuous, but in the unlikely case you are referring to me, no my daughter already has a Dell desktop and a HP notebook. This one is for me. But, my God, what a lot of equipment we have managed to accumulate in the course of several years...!!! 4 servers, 3 workstations, 5 laptops, 1 NAS, and around 30 TB of storage. Add the cameras and other video stuff, the software and it is no wonder that the Managing Director (my wife) is complaining about the cost of this hobby......

• 20. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes Harm, it was you. In a few seconds, and a failure of the Adobe server, I had forgotten your end use.

I'd like to be your real estate agent, as you WILL need a bigger place. Or maybe it would be better to be your hardware reseller - it would be like the lightbulb salesman, who covers Las Vegas!

Hope something here helps you. Also, please report on your Vaio. Seems there was a Capture issue with FW connected cameras some years back. Do not recall how that sorted out. This is the second "issue" with Vaios, that I recall, but it seems to be an easy "fix."

Hunt

• 21. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                                  fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Another update on Vaio Edit Componants plugins.....

If any Vaio users are having problems with pre7 ie Unexpected quits, Black outs over transitions try the following.

1.. Drop an Mpeg2 file onto timline and then remove it (DO NOT DELETE FROM PROJECT) just remove it from the timeline

2.. Remove the following plugin from the pre7 plugin folder.. fx-vaio-flyingCube, as this seems to give the most problems.

I am currently testing all the vaio plugins and will report back if and when i find anymore buggy ones...

Hope this helps fellow vaio users.!

• 22. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                                    gracel64425536 Level 1

Hi I seem to be having a similar problem but no luck with the opacity.  I'm taking a clip and splitting it and trying to add a crossfade between the two but the fade isn't working can anyone suggest why?

• 23. Re: Problem with transistions and avi files
                                                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hi, Grace. You've posted a reply to an 8 year old thread. Most of the people who corresponded on this thread are no longer on this forum.

If you'd like help with this problem, I'd recommend you start a new thread.