10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 9:07 PM by the_wine_snob

problems with no audio in source monitor

bigjilm Level 1

Hey everyone, I tried searching for an answer but didn't find one.  Hopefully someone might know of one and can point me in the correct direction.  I'm using Premiere CS3 and am having problems hearing any audio (channel 2) from my clips while in the source monitor.  My footage is from a Panasonic P2 (HVX200A) and my microphone was hard wired into the 2nd channel.  When I pull the clips into the timeline channel one is empty (which is fine since I had my wireless hooked in but not in use) and channel 2 has the actual audio that was recorded.  I can hear the audio just fine once the clip is on the timeline but not while it's in the source monitor.  I've run 2 mics simultaneously before and have been able to hear both channels in the source monitor, but for some reason am not able to hear channel 2 when channel one is empty.  Is there some sort of setting that I have configiured incorrectly?

Thanks in advance,

bigjilm

• 1. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
          bigjilm Level 1

I'm a complete idiot.  I figured it out.  Thanks anyway.

• 2. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
            the_wine_snob Level 9

We all have "DUH! moments." Can you please share your findings. They will likely save others time in the future.

Thanks,

Hunt

BTW quick detective work - one half hour and you had the fix. I wish that my DUH! moments were that short, but they drag on for months.

• 3. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
              FreakNL Level 1

Can you please tell how you fixed it? I got the same problem and there isnt much help availible on the web. Its driving me nuts and almost letting me trow my computer of the balcony!

• 4. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
                goatmen Level 1

Dealing with the same issue with no resolution. Be a pal and share...

• 5. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One common cause for similar is with cameras that record Audio to 4 channels. PrPro will only Capture from channels 1 & 2, and 3 & 4 are ignored - hence silence.

One can use Scenalyzer Live for SD Capture and HDVSplit for HD material to get around that problem.

What I would suggest is that each poster, with similar, or the same problem, post complete details of their system, their Project, their cameras, and the techniques used in the Capture. Could be the same result, but with different causes. Without details, anything would be just a guess, and might not be of any use.

Good luck, and this shows why it's so very good to report what has caused a problem and any solution.

Hunt

• 6. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
                    goatmen Level 1

Media is P2, so it does have native 4 channels of audio. Media is directly imported native from a drive. Current project is using field audio from Ch 2 only. Its not an issue of the audio not being available, its that I cannot monitor it from the source window. As soon as clips are added to the timeline I can monitor audio thru program with no problems. I can play clips back and hear audio from the little player in the bin window. I can see waveform in the source window when I take audio, but just can't hear it. I am at a loss. Must be something I don't have set correctly. Its there and available, but just not in source...

• 7. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

At the main page http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere enter

asio

in the forum search box on the right... a previous discussion may help

• 8. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, if the issue is caused by an ASIO incompatibility, ASIO4ALL, has fixed many problems for hundreds of Audition and PrPro users. Download, install, and then point you Input and Output to it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
                          haromax

i have the same problem and i wondering if the ASIO will fix it

Becuase I am working in a project in my laptop and i don't any special audiothing just the one that came along it.

As I said in my post, here are the specs of my clips:

DVD "VOB" format

Format: MPEG-PS

MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }

Sys Bitrate: 10080 kb/s VBR

Bit rate mode                    : Variable

bit rate                 : 5 899 Kbps or 5 324 Kbps

Nominal bit rate                 : 9 100 Kbps

Width                            : 720 pixels

Height                           : 480 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16/9

Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps

Standard                         : NTSC

Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0

Scan type                        : Interlaced

Scan order                       : Top Field First

Codec(s) are Installed

Audio

ID                               : 128 (0x80)

Format                           : AC-3

Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3 (AC3)

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 256 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Channel positions                : L R

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Resumen:

0xbd[0x80]:48000Hz  256 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)

Codec(s) Installed

Here's the specs (dxdiag thing)

• 10. Re: problems with no audio in source monitor
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing to understand is that not all VOB files are created equal. They are Video Object files, and can contain much more than just MPEG-2 AV files. If they have AC3 DD encoded Audio, you will likely want to handle those separately, thus de-muxed.

File conversion programs can handle much of the material in a VOB, but remember that, especially the first one in a DVD-Video, can have Menus, and subtitles.

Here's an ARTICLE on ripping the DVD-Video for use in Encore/PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt