11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2009 1:46 PM by BoomerangThree

Employee Directory

kattykatt Level 1
      Hi, (I am new to this stuff so go easy..)I have downloaded ED from adobe for use as our company directory, and need to import a database of our employee details. I have created a CSV file and put in the sames place as the sample data, but it is not picking it up..can someone help me? How do I go about importing our own data into the directory?

Thanks in advance...
        • 1. Re: Employee Directory
          anirudhs Level 2
          Hi,

By default, Employee Directory picks up the CSV information from a zip file. You can change that behaviour by changing the parser class.

Take a look at employeeDataURL XML node in config/employeedirectory_config.xml.
          • 2. Re: Employee Directory
            fargond Level 1
            I just wanna say thank you
            • 3. Re: Employee Directory
              naveenbalraj Level 1
              I tried changing the parser class

Here employeeDataURL XML node in config/employeedirectory_config.xml.
              I added a new .csvfile into samplehtdocs, and added that csv file to this node. It does not get refreshed at all.

Any ideas or direction will be great.

Thanks,
              NB

• 4. Re: Employee Directory
                anirudhs Level 2
                Hi Navin,

Like I mentioned above, Employee directory picks up the CSV from a zip file. Just zip up your csv. The changes should be reflected.
                • 5. Re: Employee Directory
                  naveenbalraj Level 1
                  Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was googling all these time to find the answer, but never returned to this forum to check you answer :). I added my sample entries along with the existing records in the csv and it worked fine. But when I delete all and created a new one, with some more entries. It is still showing the old entries, with out 2 new samples added. I could not get to refresh the application. Any idea, how to refresh. Thanks for your time.

-Naveen
                  • 6. Re: Employee Directory
                    anirudhs Level 2
                    Hi Naveen,

Try setting a breakpoint at com.adobe.empdir.commands.data.LoadDataFileCommand.execute() to see which zip file is being parsed or if the zip file is being parsed at all.
                    • 7. Re: Employee Directory
                      naveenbalraj Level 1
                      Hi Anirudh,

Thanks for your time, I found the solution. I deleted the C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\employeedirectory.... and it picked up the correct data, after I reran. Now the application seem to be running perfect. I shared this app with few of my colleagues. They liked it. Now we are planning to add more to the list who will use and eventually whole company.. I'm working towards that final.. I have a question (I'm googling as well), Now, 5 of my colleagues are using. How do I do auto-update to installed air to these colleagues who are already using and send the AIR to 10 more of them. The staff directory is expected to grow/ or get updated on a weekly basis. Is that possible at all, for the air to auto-update, without me sending them every week an updated AIR and reinstall. Can you direct me to any good examples, if you have come across in the AIR community. I know this should be a common problem for anyone, and adobe would have thought about it. Thanks for any help.

-Naveen
                      • 8. Re: Employee Directory
                        anirudhs Level 2
                        Hi Naveen,

This is excellent stuff. AIR has built-in APIs to self update. The idea is simple, you can hit an XML file hosted somewhere to see if the installed version is up to date or not. Then, simply download the file using URLLoader, call Updater.update().

I suspect that is already built into employee directory. Check the config file at src/config/ for checkForAppUpdates and appCurrentVersionURL. You'd need to change the appCurrentVersionURL to a URL that is hosted and accessible to all the users of your application (Something like http://yourinternalserver.com/app_version.xml).
                        • 9. Re: Employee Directory
                          unpaidintern Level 1

I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out this app. I've edited the cvs file and zipped it but I literally have no idea where to go from here.

Can anyone out of the kindness of their hearts spell it out in laymen's terms for me? I'm so lost and Google is not helping

• 10. Re: Employee Directory
                            BoomerangThree Level 1

kattykatt,

I'm having trouble getting the Employee Directory to run and wanted to see if you have any ideas.

1)  1st I installed Flex Builder 3 and I didn't do any other configuration changes to the default install.

2)  I imported the employee directory zip file and it created a project for me.

3)  When I opened up the employeedirectory.mxml file it's just a blank canvas.  Is this correct?

4)  I tried to run it, but noting happens, no errors and even under debug I get the following error:

Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger.

Command:

"/Applications/Adobe Flex Builder 3/sdks/3.2.0/bin/adl" -runtime "/Applications/Adobe Flex Builder 3/sdks/3.2.0/runtimes/air/mac" "/Users/Jeff/Documents/Flex Builder 3/employeedirectory/bin-debug/employeedirectory-app.xml" "/Users/Jeff/Documents/Flex Builder 3/employeedirectory/bin-debug"

Output from command:

error while loading initial content

Any ideas to get me going?

Regards,

Jeff

• 11. Re: Employee Directory
                              BoomerangThree Level 1

Figured it out.

I had to change:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                              <application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/1.0">

to

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                              <application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/1.5">

The version of Air was wrong.