10 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2009 1:50 PM by Marian Driscoll

Can't get Quick Time Pro to speed up my video

1henry11

My only reason for purchasing Quick Time Pro was for its Fast Start feature. But I can't get it to work. Here's the whole story.

I edited a 3-1/2 minute wedding video demo in Premiere 7. In Premiere 7 I saved ("shared") it to my computer as a Quick Time file. I embeded the following code into an html document:

<OBJECT classid='clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B' width="320" height="256" codebase='http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab'> <param name='src' value="monademo.mov"> <param name='autoplay' value="true"> <param name='controller' value="true"> <param name='loop' value="false"> <EMBED src="monademo.mov" width="320" height="256" autoplay="true" controller="true" loop="false" bgcolor="#000000" pluginspage='http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/'> </EMBED> </OBJECT>

Then I up loaded it to my website. It played very nicely but it took 45 to 50 seconds to load.  It was recommended that I purchase Quick Time Pro for its Fast Start feature, which I did.

I then followed the instructions of "Preparing a movie for Fast Start" located on the Adobe website at: support.apple.com/kb/HT2438.

In the progress window the bar fills across and then I get the message: Error-36: an I/0 error occurred. Please help.

If anyone visits my website at: http://www.kandhweddingphotography.com please let me know how long it takes to load.

• 1. Re: Can't get Quick Time Pro to speed up my video
          Paul_LS Level 4

Well not sure if it was the right video but I clicked the video demo, it jumped to the new page and the video box appeared and started to load... I hit the play button and it started almost straight away... I did not let it finish loading first. The one to the right, the Quicktime one is better quality than the left video.

• 2. Re: Can't get Quick Time Pro to speed up my video
            1henry11 Level 1

Problem solved.

I want to publicly express my thanks to RJ Johnston over at muvipix for solving my Quick Time fast start problem.

Also, I want to thank everybody on this forum for all of your input. It helped lead the way to my success. I have gathered a wealth of information here. I hope that in return I will be able to help somene in trouble like me.
            If interested, you might note that on my site I have both Quick Time and Windows Media Player on the same page; thus giving the viewer a choice. I still need to ad explanatory copy, but the thing for you to note is the superior quality of the Quick Time movie over the WMP.

You might also note that the WMP movie is not complete. From Premiere 7 it only loaded about 3/4s of the movie.
            Another problem! Oh well!
            http://www.kandhweddingphotography.com
            • 3. Re: Can't get Quick Time Pro to speed up my video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As you have noted, Robert Johnson is an asset to many fora. He's solved many problems.

Would you mind sharing the method that you and Robert came up with so others can apply the "Quick Start" to embedded AV files from QT-Pro?

Good luck on the .WMV problems.

Glad you got the first problem worked out.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can't get Quick Time Pro to speed up my video
                1henry11 Level 1

Hay wine snob,

Just as soon as I get this last problem (getting Premiere 7 to load the complete wmv movie) solved I will post all the steps used to get Quick Time Pro to fast start. I will also discuss some of the missteps that will take one off in the wrong direction and add more headaches than one already has.

• 5. Re: Can't get Quick Time Pro to speed up my video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks. Good luck with the last part of it.

Hunt

• 6. Problem solved
                    1henry11 Level 1

Hello wind snob. As you requested:

I will touch on the FOUR main problems I had to overcome in order to embed video into an html file and get it to work properly and to Quick Start:

Note: To do this you must have Quck Time Pro ($30.00), a bargan just for the quick start feature alone.

I shot the movie using a Sony VX2000 NTSC. I edited the movie in Premiere 7 and "shared" as a Quick Time movie to my hard drive.

First: I  inserted the following code into my html page for a Quick Time movie.

<OBJECT classid='clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B' width="320" height="256" codebase='http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab'>
                    <param name='src' value="../VideoProductions/Weddings/MonaDongray/monademoqtp.mov">
                    <param name='autoplay' value="false">
                    <param name='controller' value="true">
                    <param name='loop' value="false">
                    <EMBED src="../VideoProductions/Weddings/MonaDongray/monademoqtp.mov" width="320" height="256" autoplay="true"
                    controller="true" loop="false" bgcolor="black" pluginspage='http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/'>
                    </EMBED>
                    </OBJECT>

Be sure to get the paths and links correct for your particular content.

SECOND: After posting the code, I still could not see any thing on my page.

The background color of my page is dark blue. And since the  background color in the above code was ORIGINALLY dark blue, of course I could not see anything. As you can see in the above code, I changed the background color (in the code to black). After which, a nice black square appeard on my page against its dark blue background.

THIRD: The QT control bar did not show.

In increased the height from the original 240 to 256 (increase by 19 works). This made room for the control bar which then showed up nicely.

FOURTH:  Fast start (the really hard part until you get it figuered out. Then it is easy.)

My first mistake:

I was advised to go to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2438 and follow the instruction found there under the heading: "Preparing a movie for Fast Start" which reads as follows:

1. Open your movie in Quick Time. (I did.) A "Movie Setting" window appears.

2. From the File menue, choose Export. (I did). That was a mistake as I shall explain.

3. From the Export pop-up menue, choose Movie to Quick Time Movie. (I did).

4. Click Options and select any video and sound compression options appropriate for web delivery.

It gives you no hint as to what those settings should be. Because I did not fully understand these and  still don't, I just left them at the default settings. Maybe someone smarter than I will explain these.

5. Make sure the "Prepare for Internet Streaming" check box is selected and that Fast Start appears in the pop-up menue. (I did).

6. Click OK, then click Save. (I did)

Right away I got this error message:

Error-36" an I/0 error occurred.

It was making me crazy! What had I done wrong?

A really sharp guy, R J Johnston, over at muvipix cleared it up for me:

If you were working from a movie on a disk or some other external source, choosing the "Export" feature in the above MIGHT work. But my movie was already on my hard drive. What I should have done and finally did:

Instead of choosing "Export" choose "Save as."

The catch here is that when you choose "save as" be sure to change the name of the movie. Otherwise it will not work.

All's well that ends well!

If you would like to check out my results go to:

http://www.kandhweddingphotography.com

• 7. Re: Problem solved
                      Level 5

1henry11 wrote:

But my movie was already on my hard drive.

You have misunderstood what 'export' means. How would you work with a file that wasn't on a drive? Where would such a file exist before you can export? In space?

RJ Johnston pointed to the same export advice:

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2329#p19431

He just simplified it with 'save as' instructions for those that do not understand video production.

• 8. Re: Problem solved
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for posting your details. So glad that you got it sorted out and working. That Robert IS a "gem," isn't he?

This will very likely help others with the same needs. The time that you spent writing it up WILL help someone in the future.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Problem solved
                          1henry11 Level 1

Marian:

You say regarding R J Johnston's helpful advice:

He just simplified it with 'save as' instructions for those that do not understand video production.

Isn't "simplifying" what giving instructions and helpful advice is all about?

Also, If one really understood viedo production, they would not be here asking for advice in the first place.

How does it go: "If you can't dazzle them with footwork, baffle them with .... ....!"

• 10. Re: Problem solved
                            Level 5

There is nothing wrong with asking for help. It just seems inappropriate that you should be selling a professional service when you appear to have little understanding of video production. What you have been discussing is really basic stuff. You may do well to take a class or read a book on the subject, especially in wedding services as you get no second opportunity to correct a mistake.

So meanwhile, you've posted your web site address on many forums asking this basic video output question. So when someone searches for your domain now, they might see more links about you asking how to do video production than links to your experience with it. That is not ideal marketing.

http://www.google.com/search?q=kandhweddingphotography.com