10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 5:43 AM by sfjedi-Gvtvps

Mouse Wheel Zoom to Maintain Position

sfjedi Level 1

When I zoom with my mouse wheel I love how it uses my mouse's position as the area that I want to zoom in to, but when I zoom in real close, zoom out real far, then zoom right back in (never moving my mouse position), it forgets where I left off. My request is that it should remember my original mouse position (as I haven't moved it at all) and zoom in to that point.

• 1. Re: Mouse Wheel Zoom to Maintain Position
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

There is a command if you hold your H key called Birds Eye View. Now this would be improved enormously, I agree also, if it went back to where you started.

There is also a preference that you may not be aware of - "Zoom clicked point to centre" - for people who prefer the Indesign and Illustrator default behavior to Photoshops old better default.

• 2. Re: Mouse Wheel Zoom to Maintain Position
            sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

There is a command if you hold your H key called Birds Eye View. Now this would be improved enormously, I agree also, if it went back to where you started.

Uhh... I'm using CS4 and the H tool has always been the Hand tool. Is this an OpenGL feature or something? Because I'm on my laptop currently.

• 4. even more
              Mobius Strip Level 2

The mouse-wheel zoom doesn't snap to even zoom increments; in fact, it usually won't even go to them.  For example, if you zoom in and out a few times, you can't return to exactly 100%.  Nor can you get to exactly 50%, 75%, whatever.  Photoshop chooses ridiculous ratios like 77.4%.

The resulting scaling artifacts make mouse-wheel zoom essentially useless.

• 5. Re: even more
                sfjedi Level 1

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Anyone see any problem with changing this idea? If nothing else, at least land on 100%, right?

• 6. even more
                  Mobius Strip Level 2

It should snap to the same increments as the magnifying-glass tool, when you cross those increments with the mouse wheel.

• 7. Re: even more
                    sfjedi Level 1

Mobius Strip wrote:

It should snap to the same increments as the magnifying-glass tool, when you cross those increments with the mouse wheel.

I agree, but it might bother some people, so just put a checkbox in the zoom tool's property bar to snap to whole numbers or something to that effect.

• 8. Re: even more
                      MadMan151 Level 1

Pressing Shift + Alt + Mouse Wheel will snap to useful increments.

• 9. Re: even more
                        Mobius Strip Level 2

sfjedi wrote:

Mobius Strip wrote:

I agree, but it might bother some people, so just put a checkbox in the zoom tool's property bar to snap to whole numbers or something to that effect.

Why would going to 100 instead of 100.3 percent bother someone?  Especially when you just left 100 percent, and now can't get back to it.

And what's more likely to be bothersome: stopping at whole percentages, or the current default of stopping at nonsensical fractions?

Pressing Shift + Alt + Mouse Wheel will snap to useful increments.

Thanks.  That might as well not exist, however, because no one will ever guess it.  TWO modifier keys?  Ridiculous.  It would make more sense to use modifier keys to allow stopping at random fractions, and have the snapping-to-common-factors on by default.

• 10. Re: even more
                          sfjedi-Gvtvps

Mobius Strip wrote:

Why would going to 100 instead of 100.3 percent bother someone?

Because changing ANY feature from what people are used to seems to bother some people. I can't imagine it bothering anyone myself, but I would NOT be surprised if some tool out there was bothered by this.

But yeah, I totally agree with you. It *would* make more sense if it stopped on even numbers and used the insanely nonintuitive keyboard shortcuts for the fractional percentages.