6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2009 12:41 PM by the_wine_snob

? vs  .TGA Files

Sealfase

Hopefully you won't view me as a forum abuser cause I'm not (even though I did post the previous item).

I was going to kick this around on the PhotoShop forum but since my end product is DVD via Premiere / Encore I think this is the best place to get some intelligent opinions.  As I mentioned in the earlier post I'm doing my daughters wedding photo montage.  I looked long and hard and viewed numerous forums (including Adobe's) and can't seem to come up with a clearly consistent concensus on the how to get the highest quality final output with the least distortion when using effects (zoom, transitions, etc).  I am very familiar with .TGA files from my Pinnacle days (which is why this file originally came to be).  But regarding bringing stills into APP, is this the best file option and are my steps below the best to get what I want out of APP on DVD to be shown on Large or Small screen TV?  Here is how I am conforming my stills:

• Scanning all photo's @ 150dpi and saving as .PSD files
      • Set background to Layer:      opacity - 100% / Mode - normal
      • Image Size:      On Vertical Stills set height to 480 (let PS set the width) On Horizontal Still set width to 720 (let PS set the height). set document resolution to 72ppi
      • Canvas Size:     720 pixels width
      • Save As:     .PSD file.

Now change the file to a 32bit .TGA file:

• Load file into Photoshop
      • Select photo only (not alpha area) and copy into memory
      • Make new file and set as "NTSC DV 720X480 (with guides) as a preset and change Background content to Transparent.
      • Paste photo to the new canvas.
      • Select photo and select "Edit In Quick Mask" to set the alpha for .TGA
      • Save As:  TARGA file confirming it as 32bits/pixel.
      • Import them into APP

I know there are a lot of options but I would rather rely on some of the veteren's on this forum to either say this is perfect for what I want to do or say here is a better way to get to a higher quality output.

Thanks,

- Bob -

• 1. Re: ? vs  .TGA Files
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No need to convert to tga. Psd is just fine.

Output will still be 720x480 on dvd.

If you are planning on doing some panning and zooming you need to make then twice as big.

• 2. Re: ? vs  .TGA Files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I completely agree with Ann. If you have re-sized in PS, no need to go beyond that, unless you are doing something special, that you have not yet shared with us.

You have made mention of the Alpha Channel. Will you be using this to "knockout" the background, or something?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: ? vs  .TGA Files
              SFL46 Level 3

Do the resizing in PS.

(1) Bring the image into photoshop

(2) set the pixel aspect ratio (IMAGE dropdown menu) to the appropriate value--0.9 for DV NTSC, etc

(3) Set the color gamute (EDIT menu dropdown???color preferences) to NTSC1953 or H264--whatever is appropriate

(4) Using the crop tool, set the dimensions to 720 x 480 pixels and crop the desired image.  For highest quality the crop window should encompass more than 720 x 480 pixels to avoid scaling up the image)  There is no need to set the resolution--it is irrelevant if the dimensions are set in pixels.

(5) Apply any image correction. filters, etc.

(6) Save image to desired directory.  PSDs are fine, but remember that layers increase file sizes.

If you are going to do pans/scans, the image will need to be larger than 720 x 480.

If I have a lot of images to process, I find it faster to create a new image (720 x 480) using the Film & video preset in the NEW dialog box, paste the new image (it will assume the same properties of the blank image), size, and then save.  Reset for the next image by dragging the history pointer back to before the PASTE action.

• 4. Re: ? vs  .TGA Files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The one tip that I would add is to script the still images first. Decide which ones will be just the Project frame size, and Copy all of those to a separate folder. The ones with pans, into another folder. If you have several levels of pan, then another folder. As I treat each image as a unique entity, I might have several folder for the exact re-sized dimensions, as some will require more, and some less.

Then, with the instructions above, create an Action. From File>Automate to Batch, you can call that Action on the entire folder, and also set another destination folder, if desired (my way of doing it). Then just let it go. In moments, all of the re-sizing, color space and PAR corrections are done. You can change that Action, or just create another to accommodate the images that will be panned, and repeat. I can process 100's of image in less time than it takes to finish a cup of coffee.

Then, back in PrPro, Edit>Preferences>General, and set your desired Duration. Import and drag to Timeline. If you need to adjust the Duration of some of the images, it's easy, but if you start pretty close to the necessary Duration, you'll save some work. Last, reset the Duration to what you normally use, should it have been changed for this Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: ? vs  .TGA Files
                  Sealfase Level 1

All four of the posts were helpful but these last two tied everything up and also provided some very valuable shortcuts and significant time savers.  Thanks for the help

- Bob -

• 6. Re: ? vs  .TGA Files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Looks like the forum worked, as it's supposed to. Hope that all is working perfectly for you now.

Good luck,

Hunt