17 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 8:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing AVI

seansrs40 Level 1

I use a device to record shows onto my PC. I thought it would be nice if I could edit them to get the commercials out of them so I could watch on my Zen player. I tried to edit them but when I render the file the output pic is so tiny. Is there a setting that I need to change? The original file is fine but when I do the rendering it comes out tiny.

Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks,

Sean

• 1. Re: Editing AVI
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sean,

What is the frame size and CODEC used by this device? G-Spot will give you that info. You will want your Project Preset to match that. What is your Project Preset?

Once edited, you can Export to the necessary frame size for the Zen player.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Editing AVI
            seansrs40 Level 1

I used gspot and told me it was 29.97 fps. When I put it into premire the audio is way to fast for the video it seems. The two seem to be out of sync. When I use a program called AVS Video Converter and use the converted file it is now 25 fps and the video and audio match up. I do the editing and when I am done the output is tiny..any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Editing AVI
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

29.97 is the frame rate, not the frame size.  You need to pay attention to the frame size, the frame rate, and the codec; also the audio type, codec, and rate. Gspot will tell you all that.

• 4. Re: Editing AVI
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. Many conversion programs can convert a lot of the file specs, frame-rate, frame size, CODEC, field-order, PAR, etc.

Your settings are probably off in the conversion program. What you want will be DV-AVI Type II (MS DV CODEC), with PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Check all settings in the conversion program, and try again. You likely kept a default, that was incorrect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Editing AVI
                  seansrs40 Level 1

I used Gspot and then I used the converter program. When I looked at the file in the converter program I used the same settings as the original file. Here is the strange thing. I bring in the original file into Premire and the audio and video do not sync up but when I watch it in Windows Media Player it works fine. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Editing AVI

There are some codecs/formats that Premiere does not "like" as well.  See the wine snob's (ha, ha, Bill -  I love your forum name!) post above.  If you tell us what Gspot says about your original file, we may be able to provide further guidance.

• 7. Re: Editing AVI
                      seansrs40 Level 1

Not sure of the information need but this is what Gspot told me about the file:

Video:

Codec: DX50

Name: DivX5.x/6.x

Pics: 29.97 fps

Frames: 29.97

kbps: 999

QF:0.096

Audio:

Codec:0x0050 MPEG-1 Layer 2

Info:  48000Hz  112 kb/s tot , Stereo

Hope this info helps

Sean

• 8. Re: Editing AVI
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

This is a DivX codec, which PR hates. Your best best is to find a converter, that converts to DV AVI type2.

• 9. Re: Editing AVI
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4
                          • 10. Re: Editing AVI

The info you reported from Gspot is what we needed.  (You still did not report the frame size, so I still wonder if that is an additional issue for you to address.  Look at Gspot on the right side just over half way down.  You should see some numbers that are the frame size e.g. 720X480. )

As Harm says, DivX will be trouble for you.  If you want to edit in Premiere, look to the capture application/device and see if it will capture in a different codec.

Second, why use Premiere?  I suspect there is a free, simple divx editor, that will be good enough for your commercial-chopper plan.  I do not use DivX, but for simple editing of DVD material, I use VideoReDo - it avoids going back and forth converting mpeg2.  (I don't have CS4 which may offer more flexibility.)

Third, just watch it; fast forward through the commercials!

• 11. Re: Editing AVI
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

As Harm points out, the DivX 50 CODEC is one (of many), that NLE programs hate. Most players will handle the file, provided that the CODEC is installed on the system, but NLE programs choke.

If one even gets both Video and Audio, it's almost a miracle. OOS is the next most common problem. One can do the re-syncing by hand, and it's easy, so long as the OOS is constant, and does not drift.

In the Timeline, find some frame, that will have obvious Audio (a clapper/slate works great here, but you probably have to go with a CU of lips and the spoken word). I put a Marker here. Turn off Snap, Alt-click on the Audio Track, and start nudging the Audio Clip. Once you have established sync, via trial-n-error, turn Snap back on. If you have multiple Clips, use the differential from the first, as a starting point for the next - repeat the process, as is required.

Much better would be to convert to a DV-AVI Type II files with PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio (unless you're in HD) to begin with. I use DigitalMedia Converter, a US$50 program, that handles the dreaded DivX pretty well. A combo of G-Spot and a good converter program will go an awfully long way towards making life easier.

Last note: DivX and Xvid are highly-compressed "delivery" formats. They work well for that. However, they should never be used as an intermediate CODEC, if one wishes to ever edit the footage. They should be used for delivery ONLY. Same for the various flavors of WMV, and many other formats/CODEC's. Until you wish to stream the media, stay as far away from these, as you possibly can. You will enjoy life much more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Editing AVI
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

That was a screen name, that I set up about 5 years ago, when I worked with Adobe to get my accounts combined and in order. It never "took," and I forgot about it. New forum layout and when I "registered" for the new forum, BANG! here it was. Went to change to "Bill Hunt," but Adobe said it was already taken. About this time, all of my Adobe registration info disappeared. Obviously, my account was split again. When I get a full day, I'll get back on the phone with Adobe and try to get 'em combined once more. Until then, I guess I AM the Wine Snob...

Hunt

PS cannot say thanks enough for some of the detective work you have done on the older Adobe forum archives. Too bad that much of that work has been rendered moot, once more with the forum changes. I'm hoping that when the 'bots have had enough time to crawl around Adobe's servers, some of that info will resurface with workable links. Here's TO my dream!

• 13. Re: Editing AVI
                                  seansrs40 Level 1

I just bought Digital Media Converter Pro. I have a file I want to convert. You had recommended to use DV-AVI Type II files with PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio. When I see select covert to Format. Then when I select properties what should I choose?

Thanks,

Sean

• 14. Re: Editing AVI
                                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

I don't have that software. Please post a screenshot of the properties options.

Cheers
                                    Eddie

• 15. Re: Editing AVI
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a screen-cap of both main Properties windows from DigitalMedia Converter 2.7. The source file, in this case is a DVD-spec. WMV file, and the Conversion Settings are for a DV-AVI Type II file. Obviously, some of the aspects will be different for you, depending on the source file's specs.

DigitalMedia Converter 2.7.jpg

Hope that this helps you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Editing AVI
                                        seansrs40 Level 1

For some reason when I use digital media converter recently I get the file converted but when I do the editing the output file has tiny dimensions. How do I fix this?

• 17. Re: Editing AVI
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is how your Settings screen should look. There might be slight variations, version to version:

DigitalMedia Converter 2.7.jpg

Hope that this helps. For DV-AVI Type II NTSC you will use these settings. PAL will differ slightly.

Good luck,

Hunt