10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2011 9:11 AM by fruityth1ng-T0qBnM

Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected

sfjedi Level 1

Everything is working according to design, so this isn't a bug, but this has really become a thorn in my side concerning production workflow. The issue is more of an issue when I have like 30 layers in a document. First, here's how to reproduce it:

1. Create a new document.
      2. Create a new layer (Layer 1).
      3. Select the Background.
      4. Stroke a paint brush on Background.
      5. Undo

The selection jumps back to Layer 1, even though:

1. No commands were ever performed on Layer 1.
      2. The last command was on the Background.

Now, if you want to record layer selection in the history list, that's one way of doing it, but I don't think that's necessary to simply make undos stay on the layer on which was just undoed! It's not a word, but it is now!

You can imagine how frustrating this can be with a whole bunch of layers in a document. You have to scroll through the layers and try to remember the name of the layer you were on last!

Not cool!

• 1. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Yes Jed, you have actually made a feature request that many people have made before. It would ideally be a preference allowing both behaviours.

The history of this is as follows - back on the days of Photoshop version 6, there was an option to do this. Unfortunately in their wisdom, and very probably when the misguided "anti-bloat" police were employed at Adobe - they decided to remove it

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected
            fruityth1ng-T0qBnM Level 1

This is not true for me, in CS3. using regular undo.

It IS true, however, when I use the "step back" history command. In which I too, think this is not the behavior I want.

• 3. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected
              harry teasley Level 1

fruityth1ng wrote:

This is not true for me, in CS3. using regular undo.

It IS true, however, when I use the "step back" history command. In which I too, think this is not the behavior I want.

Undo and Step Backward work differently. This is part of why I still use Undo more than Step Backward. This different behavior is intentional on Adobe's part. It's also pretty annoying: I'd like to use Step Backward.

• 4. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected
                sfjedi Level 1

How do you know this is intentional by design? And what logic would they have to make this intentional?

Yeah, I was using step back in history instead of undo. Good call on that one fruityth1ng. I've remapped my undo command to the Ctrl+Z keyboard shortcut to step back instead of undo/redo so it behaves like most programs do.

• 5. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected
                  Gyno-jiz Level 5

It's intentional because it supports the legacy behavior of toggling the last [state] change on and off. With your setup, I believe you have to toggle your key command (ctrl-z, then ctrl-shift-z) to toggle the last state change. Or do you map undo to another key command?

Let's just hope Adobe doesn't drop the toggle (undo in the old sense of the word), whether it be ctrl-z or ctrl-alt-z or some other key combo, which I'm sure some righteous thinker is working on this lovely Friday. As long as the feature remains in the app.

• 6. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected
                    sfjedi Level 1

Yeah, as I stated above, I did, in fact, remap my undo shortcut to the step back in history instead. So hitting Ctrl+Z, for me, steps back in history instead of undo/redo, which I have totally unassociated with any keyboard shortcut.

• 7. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected
                      Gyno-jiz Level 5

So you can't toggle.

Map undo to ctrl-alt-z and give it a shot. It's not my most useful key command of all time, but when you're noodlin', it definitely comes in handy. You can immerse yourself in which looks better, not which state you're in.

Just don't fall in love, 'cause it will be gone soon, I'm sure. I find it a little ironic that the last bastion of the command is the place where it's most dangerous (color correction).

• 8. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected

Watch your step on mapping it like that

When you switch to a new layer and do (ie) a brush stroke, and UNDO that stroke using the step back, you'll end up on the previously selected layer AS WELL. Which is another feature request on these forums. Where I chimed in as well

• 9. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected
                          sfjedi Level 1

fruityth1ng wrote:

Watch your step on mapping it like that

When you switch to a new layer and do (ie) a brush stroke, and UNDO that stroke using the step back, you'll end up on the previously selected layer AS WELL. Which is another feature request on these forums. Where I chimed in as well

Yeah, that's actually the original scope of this feature request; only, I was mistaken about the Undo command. It's the stepping back in history that causes the problem. Yes, I would really like it to NOT select the last layer (very annoying).

• 10. Re: Undo to Ignore Last Layer Selected

Dear Adobe, please consider this request for the next version.

Or if you could find it in your heart, in one of those plugins like the one that allows panning beyond the boundaries of the window when *not* in full screen mode. I love that one too!