5 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2009 5:49 PM by Mobius Strip

Selection Copy Across Multiple Layers

sfjedi Level 1
      1. I have 2 layers.
      2. I create a selection that surrounds a portion of both layers.
      3. I SHIFT+select both layers in the layers panel.
      4. I hit CTRL+C to copy BOTH layers within that selection.
      5. I hit CTRL+V to paste the clipboard contents as a new layer or even as a new set of 2 layers, but alas! It didn't copy anything in the first place!

But it should! Don't you think? Layer groups too.

• 1. Re: Selection Copy Across Multiple Layers
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Command Shift C -  copy visible. In addtion its very easy (option clicking layer group eye icon) to hide layers you don't want prior to doing Command Shift C.

What you are asking is that the "copy" command should take a merged copy from any selected layers. Its not a bad idea, actually. I can see one disadvantage, that many non advanced users wouldn't understand WHY copying is suddenly creating strange results. These things have been thought through very thoroughly I assure you Jed.

• 2. Re: Selection Copy Across Multiple Layers
            sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Command Shift C -  copy visible. In addtion its very easy (option clicking layer group eye icon) to hide layers you don't want prior to doing Command Shift C.

What you are asking is that the "copy" command should take a merged copy from any selected layers. Its not a bad idea, actually. I can see one disadvantage, that many non advanced users wouldn't understand WHY copying is suddenly creating strange results. These things have been thought through very thoroughly I assure you Jed.

What you propose is an excellent solution, but it's also lacking in one respect. That is, your solution uses the process of elimination to establish which layer content should be copied; whereas, my suggested incorporates a process of inclusion to the copy command. The reason I make this distinction is because you could have 50 layers and only want 10 of them to be copied in the selection. Clicking hide on the other 40 layers just became extremely tedious! Even if you ALT+clicked (I don't know the Mac command, but I guess this is the same thing as the option click you mentioned above) to hide all of the layers and then clicked to show the 10 layers it would still be more cumbersome than just SHIFT+clicking to select multiple layers. In fact, since I've chosen very carefully which of these 50 layers are visible and which are hidden, I don't want to screw all that up just to copy a few of the layers' content.

I understand your concern about advanced users, but really, how often do you select multiple layers if not to duplicate them or group them? Or is that not pretty much all you can do with selected layers? I don't claim to know everything you can do with selected layers, but that's the impression I'm getting. I guess you can link them this way too, but everything is locked, man! The opacity slider, the fill slider, the lock buttons, the merge method. Sure, you can "Layer >> Lock Layers..." to do it that way, but you can't do it directly in the layers panel? I mean, you can always undo if you make a mistake so what's the problem here?

• 3. Re: Selection Copy Across Multiple Layers
              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Yes there is at last a valid feature request here. And that could be best summarised with the phrase - "Locking, Labelling, and blend mode altering - for non-consecutive layers"

Locking as you said, is now available with the drop down. But I think perhaps when they were coding the layers panel, (done generally extremely well) they didnt get round to this. There is no logical reason that this couldn't be provided, although I'm sure there  is some programming problem involved, must be. For certain types of work (web design is one) where deeply embedded layer structures are necessary, I can see that it would be a more than useful addition.

• 4. Re: Selection Copy Across Multiple Layers
                sfjedi Level 1

Or even another copy command so you can either copy visible layers or copy selected layers. It doesn't have to be mapped to a keyboard shortcut or anything, because I can do that myself!

• 5. Re: yay
                  Mobius Strip Level 2

This is indeed a good idea.

And we all agree!

1 person found this helpful