3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2009 11:35 AM by John Danek

Using Custom Targets with Monaco Profiler??

Lou Dina Level 3

Does anyone know how to use custom RGB or CMYK profiling targets and import them into Monaco Profiler to build color profiles?

I usually use Bill Atkinson's RGB targets and build RGB profiles with my driver using ProfileMaker, but want to build some profiles using Monaco Profiler. Monaco generates its own targets, but they are massive and use 3 to 4 times as much paper. For example, I can print Bill Atkinson's 1728 patch RGB target on one 11x17 sheet of paper. A 1728 patch target created from Monaco Profiler requires three 17x22 sheets of paper!  That's 6X the paper.  Besides, I already have saved measurement readings from MeasureTool for over 20 papers, and would like to avoid reprinting and remeasuring.  (This is for a Canon iPF6100 printer).

I know this has been done before, but the targets have to be sequenced and reformatted properly so they will import into MP, and I don't know how to do it. Bill Atkinson has a script to do the conversion, but unfortunately it is Mac only, and I'm on a PC operating WinXP Pro.

Thanks in advance,

Lou

• 1. Re: Using Custom Targets with Monaco Profiler??
          John Danek Level 4

I used to use Monaco, but have not for a few years now.  But, if I recall correctly, I thought you could trim the amount of swatch patches down if you wanted to in the user interface.  I used to use an xRite spectro and would read as many patches as possible ( the thinking was, the more the merrier ).  It seemed to be fairly easy to name and save the final .icc profile and then import it into Wasatch RIP in the calibration process.  But, when Monaco printed the patches, I remember they recommended all profiles and settings turned off in the RIP ( so, in theory, there were no adjustments made to the RAW prints which were then read by Monaco where it created an adjusted .icc profile which then could be used in the RIP ).  However, there was one profile made before the prints from Monaco and that was for Ti ( total ink ) which could then be setup in the RIP.  Not sure about the Canon, but I was profiling an HP 5500.  Once I was done with Monaco, the .icc profile I created via Monaco was then imported into the RIP where I could set my individual RGB and CMYK parameters.  I did many, many different variants in every conceivable scenario, but got the best results setting RGB and CMYK in the RIP which were based on the application color settings.

But, I do not think it wise to use custom RGB's or CMYK's in the Monaco Profiler and am not sure you can.  This would defeat the purpose of doing a custom .icc print profile, in my thinking.  Perhaps I'm mistaken and you can apply custom RGB and CMYK profiles, then I would think you'd turn them off in the RIP.  Again, it's been a few years since I used Monaco, but I'm pretty sure they recommended not to use any profiles when printing the patches.

• 2. Re: Using Custom Targets with Monaco Profiler??
            Lou Dina Level 3

John,

I don't plan on printing the patches with a profile....I'd print the chart with all color management turned off.    I just want to use a a different chart, instead of the predefined charts in Profiler, specifically, Bill Atkinson's RGB charts.

The charts printed from Profiler eat up gobs of paper and ink and are massive.

Thanks, Lou

• 3. Re: Using Custom Targets with Monaco Profiler??
              John Danek Level 4

Lou,

Again, I'm pretty sure you can tell Monaco how may swatches you want.

As far as importing RGB swatches from outside of Monaco, I doubt it.  I never ran across that option.  There may be some import option available somewhere in Monaco, but I do not recall ever seeing it.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.