20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 3:45 PM by sfjedi

Save Document Placement of Copied Content

sfjedi Level 1

Scenario:

1. I have two documents, both at 720x480.
      2. First Document: I create a selection and copy the contents of a layer.
      3. Second Document: I paste the contents, but the placement of the content has been lost and it's pasted in the center of the document.

I also tried CTRL+A, then copying the layer contents, but got the same result.

Can Photoshop please remember the placement of the content as it was pasted?

• 1. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Again, this is so frustrating Jed - Why didn't you take my advice to do your homework first, OR ask questions in the main forum before you post here?

1 Control (or right click your layer) and choose Duplicate - choose destination document - 2 steps, quicker in practice than the three it requires to do your copy and pasting. And Actionable.

2 Shift drag from one document to another.

Seriously beginning to lose patience, and now agree with Harry's…

May I suggest a single suggestion, "Turn Photoshop into Corel Photo-Paint"?
          • 2. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
            sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Again, this is so frustrating Jed - Why didn't you take my advice to do your homework first, OR ask questions in the main forum before you post here?

No, man! What's frustrating is people like you who don't even address the problem! You're in love with Duplicate. I get it! But that's not what this feature request is about. It's about copying a selection's contents, not duplicating!

1 Control (or right click your layer) and choose Duplicate - choose destination document - 2 steps, quicker in practice than the three it requires to do your copy and pasting. And Actionable.

First off, that solution doesn't even work, period. It duplicates the entire layer instead of the selection. Secondly? It's actually 4 steps:

1. Right-click >> Duplicate.
            2. Choose destination document.
            3. Press OK.
            4. Select the destination document.

2 Shift drag from one document to another.

Now, here's a solution that actually works! But again, doesn't address the problem because the request specifically refers to the clipboard contents and not anything else.

Seriously beginning to lose patience, and now agree with Harry's…

May I suggest a single suggestion, "Turn Photoshop into Corel Photo-Paint"?

Nice try, but Corel PHOTO-PAINT actually doesn't do this either. I know you and Harry are on the same side of, "No! Please don't add little features, only big ones!" But uh... little ones add up fast when it comes to production workflow.

• 3. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
              Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

It can't be done with Copy/Paste,

because Photoshop does't have "Paste in place" option.

But, there is the way, and it's so easy....

• Select layer
              • Make selection
              • press and hold Ctrl+Shift
              • drag selection to another document

tomaxxi

• 4. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                sfjedi Level 1

Unfortunately, that's not good enough. I've already been through this debate with many others, including classmates, and my proposed feature request–particularly, the clipboard portion–always reigns supreme in efficiency. That is, it shaves off seconds, which adds up over time. I'm too lazy to give the same workflow example I've given before, but there are scenarios in which the clipboard will increase efficiency.

• 5. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content

sfjedi wrote:

Unfortunately, that's not good enough. I've already been through this debate with many others, including classmates, and my proposed feature request–particularly, the clipboard portion–always reigns supreme in efficiency. That is, it shaves off seconds, which adds up over time. I'm too lazy to give the same workflow example I've given before, but there are scenarios in which the clipboard will increase efficiency.

hey lazy, it's you again?!

I think that you don't want this feature,

you just want to bore people, and spend your free time....

if you say that you are lazy, then few seconds for

dragging between documents is nothing for you....

tomaxxi

• 6. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                    sfjedi Level 1

tomaxxi wrote:

hey lazy, it's you again?!

Again, you throw out the word "lazy" as if it's a bad thing. This is for you...

The Lazy Programmer

"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law

Whenever I am asked why something should be done "a certain way," the answer at the front of my mind usually begins, "Laziness. This is the easiest way." Then I spend a minute recomposing the answer in terms of "efficiency" or "best practises." But enough. It is time to stop villifying laziness and start recognising the virtue of the true key to successful programming.

The "lazy" way I describe is not necessarily the easiest path in the short-term. Instead it is the easiest in the long run to understand, reuse, maintain, extend, and often, to explain. Long range laziness. When the history of software is pondered, the lazy, efficient paths will have wasted the least amount of people's time, money and energy.

In the long run, the truly lazy will always seek the most efficient solution. As you begin to see problems the lazy way, it becomes clear that all the great approaches to software development are in fact predicated on laziness. Prime examples are the Gang of Four's Design Patterns, Boyce-Codd Normalization, and Fowler's Refactoring. Reduce, reuse, recyle.

• 7. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

These things were thought through at the beginning, and have been extended along the way, but never changed.  I still think that in Jed's particular example, our suggested Control (Command) Shift drag, is much smarter (or of you like 'lazier') way to work than copying and pasting anyway, which requires several key commands and steps.

Again, it all comes down to Photoshops and Photo-Paint's different way of handling their clipboard….

Disadvantages with Photoshops handling -

Photoshop doesn't hold POSITIONING, or entire layer structures in clipboard. So when it pastes, it just pastes any content into the center of the destination document. It also doesn't hold transparent pixels in clipboard either, making it impossible to use copy and paste workarounds to 'paste in place'. Adjustment layers, and solid fill vector/ gradient layers - cannot be pasted as a whole.This is a GENUINE disadvantage I would agree, mainly because it would make certain automated tasks a lot easier if this was possible.

Advantages with Photoshops handling -

Raster objects with variable transparency, vector shapes, or individual points on those shapes can be copied and pasted. Vector shapes incidentally DO hold their positioning in clipboard. So Basically Photoshops clipboard is capable of more precise work as a result. As an example - in raster, the pasting step can then be blended. Layer Styles have their own independant clipboard and can also be copied and pasted.

Maybe an option to change, some of this behavior - at least as an option, is a reasonable enough idea thinking it all through.

• 8. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                        sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Maybe an option to change, some of this behavior - at least as an option, is a reasonable enough idea thinking it all through.

Thank you! That's all I ask–an option that you can change between the two methods. This way, it wouldn't hurt anyone's existing workflow, but it would also extend functionality for those who want it this way.

There's another disadvantage to Photoshop's existing method, which is that it's not very intuitive. Anyone using the software for the first time, for example–there's no *way* they would figure this out on their own; however, PHOTO-PAINT's method is extremely intuitive and figuring it out on the fly is quite possible.

That said, I have to disagree that PP's method would require more logical steps–at least, not in all cases. There are certain scenarios in which copying or cutting a layer and then clicking on all other 10 open documents and pasting it into each respective one would render itself much faster than the PS alternative. It really depends on how you have your workspace setup. You know, like do you work with everything maximized or do you have document windows side-by-side? That's where these features really start to change places in terms of efficiency.

• 9. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                          Level 7

Most data on the clipboard doesn't include document resolution or positioning (both needed to do a "paste in place").

• 10. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                            sfjedi Level 1

Chris Cox wrote:

Most data on the clipboard doesn't include document resolution or positioning (both needed to do a "paste in place").

Most data...?

Does that mean *some* does?

Are you saying it's impossible to do?

• 11. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                              Level 7

Sure *some* does include position and resolution information:  mostly PDF data, and some EPS.

But TIFF, PICT, BMP images on the clipboard -- have nothing about the position, and only sometimes include resolution.

Copying within Photoshop we maintain both pieces of information, which is why you can preserve the location.

• 12. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                                sfjedi Level 1

But that's why the clipboard should hold PSD information instead of BMP so it can hold layers and everything!

• 13. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                                  Level 7

Inside Photoshop, it does.

Outside Photoshop, most applications can't understand PSD, only BMP and sometimes TIFF or PDF.

(add PICT and PNG on Macintosh)

• 14. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                                    sfjedi Level 1

That makes sense, but this particular feature request does not concern any external applications. I'm simply asking for copied layer information within PS to save the coordinates at which it was copied so it can be pasted in the same spot in other open documents. I could understand if these "other documents" have to have the exact same dimensions as the original.

Really, it would be best if the entire layer or group were copied into the clipboard as PSD information, but that's another feature request that I've posted before.

• 15. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content

ok, let's say it stores position from source document...

but what if destination document is bigger, or smaller, or different DPI than source?

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                                        sfjedi Level 1

tomaxxi wrote:

ok, let's say it stores position from source document...

but what if destination document is bigger, or smaller, or different DPI than source?

Yeah, I thought about this too. I'm perfectly OK with this feature only assuming they want to remember the position if the document dimensions and DPI settings are exactly the same. That way, it's an easier logical assumption. Otherwise? Just paste it in the center like it does already.

If the document dimensions and DPI settings are exactly the same, however, I think it's a pretty good assumption that they want it in the same place. If not, they can always move it or perform an align command.

Good question, tomaxxi.

• 17. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content

well, then i propose to insert another command for paste, like "Paste in place" with some shortcut...

and if you hit Ctrl+V then paste it in center like now,

and if you hit "Paste in place" then to try to put it in same place like in source document...

tomaxxi

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                                            sfjedi Level 1

Yeah, that's not a bad idea.

Or, if it recognizes the dimensions and DPI settings are *exactly* the same it could prompt you and say something like, "Hey! We noticed it's exactly the same (bla bla bla). Do you want to paste in place?" With a checkbox that says, "Don't ever show me this again."

Something like that.

This way, the preference would actually be hidden in the preferences.

Your idea though... it would bring up the same questions you asked before, wouldn't it?

I guess if it can't paste it in the same place it could just throw it on the bottom-right corner, since you tried to paste it in something smaller (something like that).

• 19. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                                              Level 7

. I'm simply asking for copied layer information within PS to save the coordinates at which it was copied so it can be pasted in the same spot in other open documents.

But it already does that, and has since Photoshop 3.0.

• 20. Re: Save Document Placement of Copied Content
                                                sfjedi Level 1

Chris Cox wrote:

. I'm simply asking for copied layer information within PS to save the coordinates at which it was copied so it can be pasted in the same spot in other open documents.

But it already does that, and has since Photoshop 3.0.

I'm using CS4, created a new layer, painted some brush strokes on it in the upper-left quadrant of the document, selected the rectangular marquee tool, hit CTRL+A to select all, hit CTRL+X to cut, then hit CTRL+V to paste and it gets pasted right in the center of the very same document and every other document in which I paste it.

Now, I realize that you can CTRL+Shift+Drag a layer into another document to maintain document position, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about "clipboard" information.

Am I doing something wrong?