6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2009 7:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Partial vob file import

erunyauve

When I import .vob files, PE4 only imports the first two thirds of the file.  I don't think I had this problem the last time I worked with .vob files, so it may be specific to the three I'm working with.  The quality is fine, it just cuts off early.  Two of the files should be 30 minutes and come in at 20 and one is 8 minutes and comes in at 5.  All three files play completely in KMP.  I've never had memory problems with PE and have only had a couple of crashes, and I've worked with 30-minute files in the past.  The files are not copy-protected and are being imported from my hard drive.

• 1. Re: Partial vob file import
          Paul_LS Level 4

Importing VOB files into Premiere Elements can be "hit or miss". It is better to use the technique in the link attached from over on Muvpix, this also overcomes any possible audio sync issues:

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2469

• 2. Re: Partial vob file import
            erunyauve Level 1

Wow, that was quick!  I was able to concatenate the files.  Unfortunately, I now have one very big .vob file that only imports at 15 minutes of the total 1:08 hours.

Paul_LS wrote:

Importing VOB files into Premiere Elements can be "hit or miss". It is better to use the technique in the link attached from over on Muvpix, this also overcomes any possible audio sync issues:

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2469

• 3. Re: Partial vob file import
              jersnav

Hi,

I am having this problem too.  I am concatenating my VOB files but only getting the first 2 minutes or so when I import them into Premiere Elements 7.

This method works fine when I'm importing VOB files created by my Samsung DVD recorder but not my Phillips DVD recorder.  It seems they make the VOB files differently.  Anyone seen this before?

Thank you,

Jeremy

• 4. Re: Partial vob file import
                jersnav Level 1

I did a little more searching and found this helpful article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549?tstart=0

It basically says that some VOB files will work ok in PE and others will not.  I'm going to try to convert the VOB using Virtual Dub to a format that PE will like better.

• 5. Re: Partial vob file import
                  Kodebuster Level 3

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Prism will also handle VOB files and do the convert to DV-AVI Type 2.

Prism can be found under this this FAQ:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Prism has a much cleaner interface than VDub and it's also free.

• 6. Re: Partial vob file import
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You beat me to the punch. I was about to add a link to that, but you found it first. Good detective work. Too few think to look in the Tips & Tricks. After a search of the FAQ's, that is my second stop for a problem.

Now, as you have found, not all DVD-R's create DVD's equally. Some are good, but some not. It is most often an issue with their simple menuing systems, that are not DVD-spec.

My Panasonic VHS to DVD player has that problem, but then I do not use the DVD's from it for editing - only archiving. I will either Capture the VHS tape directly through my A-D bridge, using its software, to DV-AVI Type II files, or if I have a DVD that I need to edit from, will play that DVD (in the other side of my dual player) and Capture it the same exact way. I cannot recall the last time that I ripped a .VOB, and just Capture, though that is in Real Time. This first allows me to Capture just what I need, or to make notes, if I'm going to edit the whole thing - time well-spent.

Good luck, and hope the Article was helpful,

Hunt