10 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2009 7:38 AM by Mylenium

After Effects doesn't start.

himan444

doesn't start. nothing. just a *ding*. even if i run as administrator. ditto for my other adobe programs.

It has worked fine before! but after i downloaded a few stuff from videocopilot, it just stopped.

when i click it all it does is show my cursor loading, makes a sound, and doesn't start.

PLEASE help me if you can.

ps. dont ask me for screenshots. you can't possibly get screenshots in my situation.

• 1. Re: After Effects doesn't start.
          yenaphe Level 4

We need more information if you want help from us.

• What is the AE version you are using ? Have you updated to the latest version ?
          • Were you using retail or trial version of AE ?
          • What are your computer specs ? Os ? Graphic card ?
          • What presset did you try to install when AE stopped working ?
          • Have tried to uninstall / reinstall ? Use the clean script ?

The more info you give, the more help you can get. It's a too vague issue to be able to answer as is.

• 2. Re: After Effects doesn't start.
            Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Did you try re-creating the After Effects preferences?

You can find instructions for Win XP here, for Vista here and for Mac OS here.

In any case, even if it's not because of damaged preferences, follow the technical support document linked above for your OS. It includes troubleshooting steps for the most frequent problems.

• 3. Re: After Effects doesn't start.
              elaine montoya Level 3

Basic's first... (gotta ask)

- did you try rebooting your machine?

- what did you download and install from videocopilot when you noticed it stop working

- did this problem start after trying to launch something from videocopilot - or just after downloading?

- have you done any other recent updates on your machine (software updates - Adobe or non-Adobe)

- you said you can't get screenshots.... is ANYTHING working on your computer? I take it your browser is.... what about other applications?

- when you try to start other Adobe applications is the result the same as trying to start AE?

- what other Adobe programs do you have loaded?

- what versions (ie CS3, CS4...)

we need some more info before being able to try to figure this one out....

elaine

• 4. Re: After Effects doesn't start.
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

Did you try re-creating the After Effects preferences?

Should not add to the matter. If he can't launch any Adobe program, something serious is up. I would suspect that the whole licensing system has bugged out. also could be the Adobe Updater that either doesn't work at all or got interrupted while updating something critical. Anyway, Elaine's first aid tips are the first thing to look into. Beyond that, more info on the operating system is required. It would also be relevant, as from where the Video Copilot stuff was downloaded, on the chance it includes ripped versions of the DVDs. It may have brought some virus with the torrents .

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After Effects doesn't start.
                  himan444 Level 1

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
                  Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
                  Other OS Description  Not Available
                  OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
                  System Name RANON
                  System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
                  System Model Inspiron 1525
                  System Type X86-based PC
                  Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  T2390  @ 1.86GHz, 1867 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
                  BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A13, 6/27/2008
                  SMBIOS Version 2.4

[post edited by forum host to remove advocacy of software piracy]

can you help me? I am using a registered version.

• 6. Re: After Effects doesn't start.
                    yenaphe Level 4

Well sounds like a serious issue. Without talking about the piracy thing, downloading software from unreliable sources (torrents for exemple) often lead to serious crash or problems, especially on Windows, where malwares, spywares and viruses are legions.

Try uninstalling every Adobe product, including flash plugin ins & such. Remove any related torrents. Scan your HDD with malware detector programs such as "Spybot" or "Adaware", and a full system scan with your antivirus (enabling scanning inside archives and system files). Reboot and reinstall AE. If it still doesn't do the trick, i'm affraid you'll have to do a total reinstall (format + windows install).

And then, you'll think twice before trying to get a ripped version of a $45 plugin from a guy who greatly helps the community by providing great free tutorials (that was for the piracy thing).

• 7. Re: After Effects doesn't start.
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Reminder:

Any post that advocates piracy will be immediately edited or deleted. Further behavior of this sort may result in disabling of some or all account privileges on Adobe.com.

• 8. Re: After Effects doesn't start.

Mmh, I'm afraid this doesn't really help. It would be more important to know, what software, drivers and which versions of those are on the system. If, as you say, all the programs worked at some point, the most likely reason is that some system update or additional software bombed out everything. Therefore I can only second Seb's suggestion - uninstall everything, including Acrobat and Adobe AIR stuff, use the CS4 Clean Utility, then re-install. The rest is just vague since Todd snippeted your post, but of course you could assume that if you use "liberated" software, any update to that software will detect the tampering and shut it down....

Mylenium

• 9. Re: After Effects doesn't start.
                          himan444 Level 1

YES YES YES!!! I have found what was a virus. aparently i installed a reg key that changed some values. but, i dont know how to delete it.

I installed the regkey and now i can't find where it is. tell me what to do plz.

• 10. Re: After Effects doesn't start.

Someone has been feeling a bit experimental.... I'm afraid that's way beyond what this forum can provide for. Use tools like Hijack this to track down such issues and ask on forums related to malware. Or use an online virus scanner, e.g. Bit Defender.

Mylenium