5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2008 9:32 AM by Newsgroup_User

Rastered Graphics in Flex 3...help ASAP!

Lt_Core
      Hi, our programming team is new to Flex and were having some issues with how graphics are looking in Flex. We're using the Accordion control to swap graphics. Everything is working great but the graphics are really pretty rastered around the edges and not smooth at all. We're using PNG & GIF because we need the backgrounds to be transparent over other images.

The graphics are a mix of Illustrator CS3 PNG & GIF files and Photoshop PNG & GIF files. We've tried both formats with similar results.

We're on a tight deadline to present our project (exported as a Flash file for the web) in the next day (Tuesday). Has anyone seen this before? I built a quick website before we tried this in Flex and the graphics look fine. Not sure what we're doing wrong. Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Rastered Graphics in Flex 3...help ASAP!
          Level 7

"Lt_Core" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ga41oq$nii$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi, our programming team is new to Flex and were having some issues with
          > how
          > graphics are looking in Flex. We're using the Accordion control to swap
          > graphics. Everything is working great but the graphics are really pretty
          > rastered around the edges and not smooth at all.
          >
          > The graphics are a mix of Illustrator CS3 PNG & GIF files and Photoshop
          > PNG &
          > GIF files. We've tried both formats with similar results.
          >
          > We're on a tight deadline to present our project (exported as a Flash file
          > for
          > the web) in the next day (Tuesday). Has anyone seen this before? I built a
          > quick website before we tried this in Flex and the graphics look fine. Not
          > sure
          > what we're doing wrong. Thanks!

Use Fireworks png with a transparent background exported as png 32.

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: Rastered Graphics in Flex 3...help ASAP!
            Lt_Core Level 1
            I do not have Fireworks. I exported the files out of Illustrator CS3 and Photoshop CS3 with transparent backgrounds. Never had issues before with building websites, etc. Not sure if this is a Flex thing or not.
            • 3. Re: Rastered Graphics in Flex 3...help ASAP!
              Level 7

news:ga4pfa$kgu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I do not have Fireworks. I exported the files out of Illustrator CS3 and
              > Photoshop CS3 with transparent backgrounds. Never had issues before with
              > building websites, etc. Not sure if this is a Flex thing or not.

If you're building websites and you've used the appropriate matte color for
              the web page, probably not. I think the problem is that you're now
              expecting them to act as truly transparent, and neither of these tools is as
              good at that (or makes files as small) as FW. Didn't you get FW with CS3?
              If not, a trial version could probably get you through this.

The thing with photoshop is, you can do it, but you have to work a lot
              harder mentally. You need to bring your alpha channel up _inside_ the edge
              of your object and antialias that. I haven't worked with Illustrator since
              my print shop days, so I can't comment on what the current state of that
              product is.

Good luck!

-Amy

• 4. Re: Rastered Graphics in Flex 3...help ASAP!
                Lt_Core Level 1
                Thanks for the info. I do not have Fireworks CS3. You would think Flex could seamlessly work with Illustrator & Photoshop CS3 to provide transparent images at good quality, especially from vectorized text in Illustrator. Nice clean original file.

Guess I don't understand your alpha channel comment, as it relates to regular images that are also rasterized in Flex. We have some high-res product shots of food packages and the text/image looks pretty bad in Flex.

Good news is that I'm going to Disney World tomorrow for a week :) but need to figure this out today.
                • 5. Re: Rastered Graphics in Flex 3...help ASAP!
                  Level 7

news:ga650v$bip$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thanks for the info. I do not have Fireworks CS3. You would think Flex
                  > could
                  > seamlessly work with Illustrator & Photoshop CS3 to provide transparent
                  > images
                  > at good quality, especially from vectorized text in Illustrator. Nice
                  > clean
                  > original file.
                  >
                  > Guess I don't understand your alpha channel comment, as it relates to
                  > regular
                  > images that are also rasterized in Flex. We have some high-res product
                  > shots of
                  > food packages and the text/image looks pretty bad in Flex.

look at the pixelSnapping and smoothing properties of the BitmapData object.

> Good news is that I'm going to Disney World tomorrow for a week :) but
                  > need to
                  > figure this out today.

Sea World is way better ;-)