19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 9:27 AM by John T Smith

Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems

SiSLA Level 1

Greetings,

Due to nature of CS4 having it's own rendering engine, current codec changes mis-effects it a lot.

For instance, a clean install on a clean install Windows 7 RC....

WMV files just can not be converted:

If you play/preview them inside Premiere CS4, you will see video struttering, jerky playback.

If you just try to convert them by AME, you will get following error: "Error Compiling Movie Unknown Error"

I wonder if it is a known bug or subject to change with next update or something extra that should be done. Just wanted to let you know.

Here are computer specs:

Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

nVidia 8800 GTS 512mb

4 GB RAM

Windows 7 RC Build 7100 x64

Premiere CS4 (Updated via auto-updates)

This is about all WMV's I've tested so far. My main encoding target was F4V. I've tried anything such as Installing Windows 7 and without installing any further codecs, just installing CS4 OR clean install Windows 7 and codecs after and after CS4. Result did not change.

My latest test wmv: http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/sot/Star_Global.wmv

Finally I'm guessing that has to do with either codec change in Media Player 12 but then I thought, it does have nothing to do with CS4 engine itself. Quicktime movies converts and loads just fine for instance.

So did anyone experience such issue or any work-around or any fix on the way?

• 1. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
          Jim_Simon Level 8

My own consideration is that such videos are final delivery, and make poor source media for Premiere.  Perhaps Windows Movie Maker is the better tool in this case.

• 2. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
            SiSLA Level 1

Alas Windows Movie Maker don't export for Flash Video Players or in F4V form... Point is, it works good in Vista x64 for instance. Ofcourse I can switch to Vista but my intention is to stay in Windows 7 for a while and also inform development and ask for if there will be any updates/fixes for Windows 7, which might give a lot of pain later when it is released. Since it already seems to be next rush point for many Windows users.

• 3. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
              Unaxillo

I have the same problem in all my WMV files on Windows 7 with Adobe Media Encoder. Please how can we fix this?

• 4. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a guess here, but it's possible that Win7 RC is just what the name implies, a "Release Candidate." It would seem probable that not all MS CODEC's are yet included. Whether they will be, or will only be available via a MS CODEC "pack," is probably only known to MS.

In the meantime, one could TRY installing the Vista CODEC packs and hope for the best.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW, PrPro ships with and installs the CODEC's that it uses for most of its work, pretty much as Jim points out. For other formats, the proper CODEC's need to be properly installed. Some are "one-way streets," where PrPro is concerned, in that it might not be able to use them to ingest Assets. However, on my machines, it will Export to most that I have installed.

• 5. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                  Unaxillo Level 1

I don't think so, i am using K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and i can convert WMV movies to AVI, WMV etc with other programs under Windows 7 RC.

The only problem is that i can't convert WMV files to anything with Adobe Media Encoder.

If its a Windows RC problem, please report it, if its an Adobe problem, please fix it soon or give us a solution.

• 6. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                    SiSLA Level 1

Exactly.

Problem is not encoding TO wmv, but encoding FROM wmv. It's a playback issue, jerky playback even can be seen on preview window of Premiere window itself without export. Skips frames and rewind some frames during.

For other solutions, I even tried installing old WMV codecs like WMV8 or 9 from Microsoft's own sites, it sadly didnt make a difference as well.

• 7. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                      joshtownsend Level 2

It's a WIndows 7 RC issue. Works in vista

• 8. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

The following links will help you:

FAQ: How do I import xyz format files?

FAQ:How do I convert my files?

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                        Eddie

• 9. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                          SiSLA Level 1

Things are done straightly in PPro CS4...

It is just it does not operate as intended in Windows 7. This might be either Windows 7's fault, change of codec behaviours or PPro's way things done. We know Adobe is a slow company adapting to changes later than prepared for them but like at Vista's initial release, hope Adobe does not become late again. X64 Flash player anyone promised to be two years ago?

• 10. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m-m, K-Lite pack. Some have gotten these CODEC's to work, and some have had nothing but grief, until every vestige of it was completely removed. How many of its CODEC's are 64-bit certified?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                              don solomon Level 1

K Lite  plus RC7?  What on earth do you expect, certainly not that everything will work?  Of course, it works better in Vista 64

It will obviously be sometime before PPro and dozens of other complex programs are going to be tweaked up to work 100% ( only an ideal, of course) in W7.  Using an RC means that you are testing a potential release for possible problems--that's why its free.

If you are lucky, somone may have found a workaround.

• 12. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

My feelings exactly.

I've even seen some posts, where people are bemoaning the fact that CS4 is not "certified" for Win7. Come on, it's not even in release yet. How could Adobe certify a program for it?

There can be "blood" out on that "edge."

Hunt

• 13. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                                  SiSLA Level 1

Description of you is Beta,

RC is release candidate and it is almost as equal to Final Release unless there is a critical bug in Operating System itself to stop it work. It is too late for 3rd party programs checking which MS is not responsible off for compability.

Second, ofcourse, noone expecting a W7 certification from Adobe CS4 product. Adobe often release new pack with every OS rather than converting old products compability for "financial" reasons.

Now off the codec issue:

WMV playback is perfectly fine with every single other player without any 3rd party codec installation just like Vista, Vista x64 per se... I said in my first post, I've tried it without any 3rd party codecs (WMV is default codec already for Windows you know, you dont need any codecs for it normally) and there appears the problem, you can't play WMV files INSIDE PPro and get "Unknown Error" messages along with AME.

So here is final check list

1. Without any 3rd party codecs or filters installed, WMV plays just fine on WMP, Media Players, etc. Not in CS4

2. With 3rd party codecs and filters installed, WMV plays just as fine on WMP, Media players etc. Not in CS4

3. I dont know if MS did anything inside OS or actually WMV format, but nothing indicates remotely about that, it is STILL WMP9

And wine snob, "Getting official certified" logo is one thing, writing a code that works globally on NT kernel is another. I've got editing and image processing software last updated at year 2001 that works in x64 Windows 7 without any problems... You'd expect better from Adobe... At least an update or workaround till they acquire a computer that has a Windows 7 RC on it (hey, it is released you know, you could always ask to MS for a free copy) I mean a software company should not be that alien on changes on platforms they sell their product and prepare for full release, no? As I said, I lost my hope on x64 Flash Player already after 2 years of same topic "Coming soon" on Knowledge base...

• 14. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                                    don solomon Level 1

You have a very rosy view of what an RC is.

There used to be a quite reliable rule of thumb with MS operating systems--namely that they were never really fully ready to go until SP1. I have always found that to be true, but it may be different this time.   I will wait and see with the W7 first release--that is by keeping an eye on the problems others have, while I grind away on my old, tired, nearly useless, antiquated Vista Ultimate 64.

• 15. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      And wine snob, "Getting official certified" logo is one thing, writing a code that works globally on NT kernel is another. I've got editing and image processing software last updated at year 2001 that works in x64 Windows 7 without any problems

You have been very fortunate, indeed. Now, does that mean that ALL other programs from 2001, except for those from Adobe also work well in Win7 RC? Also, remember that programs, like PrPro, use far more resources and work much more closely with them and the OS, than most other types of programs. How does the '01 version of Avid Liquid work for you?

As for an update, maybe once the final version of Win7 is released, Adobe will have one. Heck, 4.1 *might* include some Win7 compatibility.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                                        Unaxillo Level 1

Adobe Media Encoder 4.1 didn't help with the problem, still the same...

• 17. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                                          Unaxillo Level 1

Ok guys, the problem was in Win 7, with the newer build Windows7 RTM 7260 the WMVs encodes great.

• 18. Re: Windows 7 WMV Import / Export problems
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

newer build Windows7 RTM 7260

How'd you get that?