21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 2:55 PM by EsotericTT@aol.com

licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition

jasonjantzen

So I'm having similiar problems the other guy had with Photoshop CS3 where the window pops up and tells me to activate the software. So I follow the dialogue and then I get a window that says it's unable to acitvate the software at this time and to call the phone activation (error code 93:-12). The nice lady in tech support told me, and I kid you not, that your licensing software has stopped working because you are using CS2 and we are currently in version CS4, you'll need to upgrade in order to continue using your software. Of course I was outraged, but I know she can't help me and knows nothing past what her superiors or computer screen tells her, so I thank her and hang up. My brother, who used to work at Adobe before they fired everyone in tech support and outsourced everything to India, told me start a thread on here. I really think it's just a licensing software issue, but I don't know how to fix it. I tried finding that flexnet folder, but I got nothing. FYI, Audition WAS working about 2 weeks ago, about the time I was having troubles with Premiere Pro CS3 (which now works thanks to lots of tinkering, which might have broken Audition). I just need a copy of Master Suite CS4

• 1. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition
          EsotericTT@aol.com Level 1

I just had the same problem.  However, it was  bit more complicated.  I just aquired Creative Suite 4, Web Premium.  It's installationa took many hours and the result was 3 programs not installed.   Adobe error message popped up telling me to read long treatises in Geek talk.  So, I just put back the CS4 discs and installed each of the missing programs, one by one.   The next thing I did was to uninstal PS CS2, thinking it was redundant.  Only then, did I look at PS CS4.  It looked like a 1985 DOS program!   I tried playing with it, and decided to go back to PS CS2.  That's when I noticed that PS CS2 was actually still on the computer, but deactivated.

I then went thru the exact thing you went thru, error code: 93:-12, etc.  They refuse to help  the program is legally purchased, but they will not activate my program.  I don't know what to do.  This is close to theft.  We bought the program and THEY won't allow us to run it.

Mike

• 2. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition
            Sharyn42

I downloaded the License Management Patch 2.70 (kb409127, so that I could reactivate my CS2 that I purchased in February of 2007. The instructions for the patch says I have the option of launching the patch for CS2 products but when I unzipped the folder it included only a patch for Arcobat 7.

i have spend hours with Adobe customer service, IT, and activation control, but I have notyet been able to activate my product. I too have been told to upgrade to Creative Suite 4 which I do not want to do.I have searched the web for answers and because I find so few complaints about this issue, I feel that I am misunderstanding the problem. Can anyone help.

• 3. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition
              I just sent this email to friends who are Adobe users.  This posting may get this thread put into a black hole someplace, but I don't care.
              Just had a little problem with an Adobe program I had, Photoshop CS2.  I had gone thru an XP restore and then back again.  That process lost my Photoshop CS2 program activation.  A window popped up that instructed me to reauthorize it by pressing the appropriate window button, up came error: 93:-12, and a message to get activation via telephone.  When I called, I found that they could not give me the code.  Could not....could not....how about WOULD NOT?

I Googled on error: 93:-12, and found a number, not great yet, of people who were having a similar experience and who were getting the identical responses from Adobe.  I spent the last few days trying to get answers on this.  I made about 6 phone calls to them trying to get help and answers.  First of all, I just got Photoshop CS4.  Please note that they do not advertise or advise of any incompatibility with CS2 programs.  Anyway, here are some answers gathered from 4 - 5 tech support people in India:

* CS4 is not compatible with earlier versions and you cannot have both on...well, I did for several days till I lost authorization via performing and XP restoration.

* I must update all my CS2 programs to new Adobe programs for $$$.
              * I can try reinstalling, but that may not work, and that is too bad.

* There is limited life to Adobe products and after an undefined time, they will not be activated by Adobe.

* Their servers were changed to not allow activation of older products because they are overwhelmed with blah, blah, blah.

* They cannot manually provide me with the code to put in the appropriate spaces on my desktop form because they don't have any programing available to generate these keys!

* The programs we have had many updates and this makes it impossible to activate their operation.

These, so-called "Tech Support" responses are laughable.  This is all obviously BS, and, I think, illegal.  Can you imagine purchasing a car, whose ignition lock can become inoperable after 3 - 5 years, and then be told to buy a new car to work on the new roads and streets!

One of their excuses was that they were overwhelmed by customers with "old programs" and cannot afford the resources to devote to activation of our programs.  I hope you realize that there are unscrupulous people out there providing "code generators" that illegally activate Adobe programs.  If these people have the resources, why cannot Adobe just post a teenie-weenie little "code generator" file for all to use. After all, according to them, the programs are obsolete anyway?

I hope you understand, that you and I, and millions of other may be denied the operation of legal, paid-for programs that will work perfectly, but for which  Adobe refuses to supply operational activation.  They are willfully and consciously denying us the use of program we purchased from them.  Only one day after I did a system restore, the program was too old to be "supported,"  that is, by the simple act of permitting us to use the program we already paid for.  We aren't asking for free support, but the right to use what we paid for.  All you have to do is get a new hard disc, or new computer, and programs only 3 - 5 years old, that previously had worked flawlessly, will be turned off by Adobe.

If you have his problem, or have it in the near future, I suggest you call and complain. Try (as I did unsuccessfully) to escalate to a higher authority or obtain contact with their legal department, or to anyone with whom you can file a formal complaint.  I would also take notes on their statements.  One of the best things you can do, is write a formal complaint to your State Attorney General, or whatever they are called in your locale.  If in foreign countries, you probably have local or governmental prosecutors.  These people just love to justify their positions and often act upon citizen complaints.

Mike
              • 4. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition
                Sharyn42 Level 1

Appreciate your message, Mike. Below are excerpts from "Adobe Software Activation" page from their web site, Adobe.com. 

Q: What happens if the product is discontinued?

A: "Adobe is fully committed to honoring the terms of its product license agreements. In the event that a product is discontinued, Adobe will enable automatic approval of all activation requests for that product or provide means to remove activation outright. in either case the customer will not experience any change in software capabilities."

Q: Will I be able to use the software in perpetuity [forever, of unlimited duration]?

A: "Adobe's product license agreements typically grant the user of an Adobe product the right to use it in perpetuity, unless explicitly stated otherwise. Adobe plans to honor these agreements. In the unlikely event of the company's shutting down, we will enable automatic approval of all activation requests of provide other technical means to allow users to continue using our products."

I will continue to press the activation and technology people reminding them of this posting.

I keep hoping it will make a difference who answers the telephone when I call customer service. It seems to me that the so-called "tech" or "activation" people are really no different than the general customer service crew. Whenever I press for a supervisor, I am told "not available" and more than once I was told "We cannot help you" after lengthy "holds" and non-productive conversations. I cannot tell you how angry and sick I am over this. The thought of my spending $1200 on a product I cannot use after less than three years is really driving me mad.

And what is the alternative? Is there a product comparable to Photoshop?

Still trying...sharyn

• 5. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition

Sharyn,

I am seeing things and hearing things?   What you posted is in direct contradiction to everything they told me.  Someone is out right lying or incompetent.  No, this is not incompetence.  I made many phone calls, my friends made several phone calls, other people in the forum made several phone calls,  people in other forums have reported exactly the same thing.  I am now thinking that I should start putting together a formal complaint to the Illinois Attorney General.

Mike

• 6. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition
                    jasonjantzen Level 1

So I probably should add to this. Since I've posted it I asked my brother for help on the issue. He doens't work for Adobe anymore, but he knows people there still. I have had someone look at my case I guess. My bother told me that he renewed the license on my software, but my brother also did some handy work on my computer when he dropped by one Sunday renewing permissions and stuff (I really don't understand it all). Anywho, everything worked fine actually for a few weeks, CS3 stopped asking me to renew the license every time, CS2 Audition actually worked, and Acrobat 9 stopped telling me that I had to have more than one program in the suite open in order to use it. Life was great until I installed some audio program to record audio from the soundcard. I had troubles installing it, then when I went to uninstall it, the only method that would work was uninstalling manually and I think since I checked every box in the uninstallation process for that program I might have deleted some file that was important to the licensing software because immediately after that, all hell broke loose again.

I pursued the issue all day needless to say and found that DOS program that resets permissions in the licensing folder or whatever (it's found here- but be very careful with that program if you decide to use it, READ EVERYTHING). After uninstalling Acrobat 9, running the DOS program, then reinstalling Acrobat 9, my problems were solved with CS4, and CS3, but CS2 still wouldn't activate. I uninstalled CS2 completely, but I haven't had time to reinstall to see what will happen. I will repost when I see what happens.

• 7. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition
                      Sharyn42 Level 1

Hi all,

I have good news. My CS2 is activated!!!  It took a ton of patience on my part and about 3 and half hours total time on the telephone with Adboe technicians.

The first tech kept reminding me that they do not support CS2 and I kept [calmly] reading him Adobe's agreement. He really tried for about an hour to resolve the issue, but both he and I knew the problem was beyond his capabilities and he finally passed me on to a senior tech and after about 2 hours we solved the problem. My CS2 is now activated!

All I can say is keep working at it!! I did and I got results.

Joining this forum helped me a lot to calm down because I could see I was not alone and I found that supportive. So I just opened my mind, prayed a lot, and stayed calm.

Happy once again with Photoshop!!

Sharyn

• 8. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition

Good work.  Can you explain what had to be done?

Asside from that, I still think that they are playing games.  When they refuse to provide activation, that is an abrogation of their agreement with customers, and we know it, and they know it.  The lies I got from tech support at Adobe are just that.  I quoted as best I could in my previous posts.  They try to tell us that we are trying to get free technical support, but in fact, we are simply trying to get the software activated, which they are obliged to do.

Just remember, the failure of a $40.00 hard disc may mean that thousands of dollars in software could become decactivated and you may end in the same or a worse situation than before.  Especially if they use that ruise to try to get us to purchase uneccessary softeware. I would save all corresondence in forums like this, and collect even more.  We may need it in future complaints.  We should not have to do this.  They have the big money and the lawyers (who should know better).  However, we do have public officials to whom we can bring this information.

Mike

• 9. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition
                          Sharyn42 Level 1

The senior tech walked me through a CS3cleanscript. We had to do it a couple of times at different levels, but it finally took all of the Adobe "works" (??) off my hard drive and this included Photoshop CS2. After that I was able to use my discs to fully install CS2 again. When i was prompted to activate with my serial number it activated immediately! Not a problem. Everything came on without a glitch!!

Also, during the process Adobe Elements was removed from my hard drive so i called Adobe techs. And they resolved the issue. I put the disc in and copied the files to a new folder on desktop and then i downloaded the program from there and all is well.

I don't know if this is helpful as your issue does seem a bit more complicated. But I did find a few messages online from people who advised to "keep trying" and I guess that was good advice.

• 10. Re: I think I can help with your CS2 issues!I
                            danspurling00

Thank you to all who have posted.  It helped me to see I wasn't alone, and that there was an answer.

Thank you to all who have posted.  It helped me to see I wasn't alone, and that there was an answer.

After about 2 hours over the phone on 2 different days, a Customer Service guy was finally able to help me get my CS2 suite going again.  I had changed hard drives on my laptop to upgrade to a bigger one.  In doing that, my CS2 came up with the same "error 93:-12" as you are all mentioning.  The first Cust. Service guy told me the same thing as he did to some of you.  "You have to buy an upgrade."

In the end, I was given 4 files to put into my computer, and with that, the programs became authorized over the internet automatically, and things are working fine now.

I tried attaching the necessary files to this post, but was told that I didn't have authorization to do so.  So, I added them to my public iDisk folder.  Feel free to take them from there.  My iDisk is "danspurling".  The files you need are in the folder "CS2 Suite missing files".  Here is where they need to go: (I use a Mac, by the way.  I'm not sure how it compares to the PC)

Open Finder

Open your hard drive

Open Library

Open Preferences

Open Adobe Systems

Open Product Licenses_120

Add the following 4 files to that folder.  With that, your adobe programs should start up without any problem.

I really hope this works for you, as it did for me.

• 11. Re: I think I can help with your CS2 issues!I
                              danspurling00 Level 1

After about 2 hours over the phone on 2 different days, a Customer Service guy was finally able to help me get my CS2 suite going again.  I had changed hard drives on my laptop to upgrade to a bigger one.  In doing that, my CS2 came up with the same "error 93:-12" as you are all mentioning.  The first Cust. Service guy told me the same thing as he did to some of you.  "You have to buy an upgrade."

In the end, I was given 4 files to put into my computer, and with that, the programs became authorized over the internet automatically, and things are working fine now.

I tried attaching the necessary files to this post, but was told that I didn't have authorization to do so.  So, I added them to my public iDisk folder.  Feel free to take them from there.  My iDisk is "danspurling".  The files you need are in the folder "CS2 Suite missing files".  Here is where they need to go: (I use a Mac, by the way.  I'm not sure how it compares to the PC)

Open Finder

Open your hard drive

Open Library

Open Preferences

Open Adobe Systems

Add the following 4 files to that folder.  With that, your adobe programs should start up without any problem.

I really hope this works for you, as it did for me.

Message was edited by: danspurling00

• 12. Re: I think I can help with your CS2 issues!I
                                wildponeee

Hello All! For the past 2 weeks, I have been fighting with the same problem!!!  Over the past 3 days, I have spent 10 hours with Adobe's so called "tech support" addressing this problem. The last gal I spoke with, just yesterday, finally told me that I could get help but it would cost me $39.99 plus tax,  if I gave her my VISA number etc!!!! Can you believe it? At that point, I told her after I had already spent big bucks on CS2, I wanted a guarantee that my $40 would buy me the FIX! Of course she would not agree to that, so I bagged it for the day, but am back at it today. I have paying JOBS to do, and am stuck in this hole!!!

danspurling, I think your files and fix would take care of this problem for me! However, I do not have a .mac account, therefore cannot access iDisk.

Any chance you could email those files to me?   tyelton61@comcast.net

Thanks to all for addressing this problem, and for this thread, let's get to the bottom of it!!!!

Tami

• 13. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition

Hi,

I am interested in just what you problem was.  I would call the  practice

you speak of as close to fraud, but before contacting someone like your 

Attorney General, to find out the exact nature of the problem.

The reason I say this is that some of my problems with installation of CS2 

may have been caused by an earlier install or earlier faulty install.  In 

fact, I noticed that it is almost impossible to uninstall.  I went to 

Uninstall Programs several times, but it never got rid of tons of Adobe CS2 

files.

I just rebuilt this computer with a fresh hard disc.  That meant old 

Registry, etc., problems were gone.  I was able to install CS2 programs  without

a hitch.  This was never mentioned by the incompetent liars that  pretend to

be "tech support."  They repeatedly told me the program  would not work and

had to be upgraded.  Their list of lies is in another  posting of mine. 

When I demanded to speak to someone in their legal  department or to escalate

my problems to higher authority, they refused.

That asside, their paid for Support may be a holding of your hand whilst 

you remove all previous CS2 glitches and it permits a clean, fresh  install. 

I'll give you another suggestion.  Get another hard disc and  replace the

one you have.  Install WINDOWS and then try to install the  CS2.   I think it

will install.

Mike

In a message dated 8/19/2009 3:43:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Hello  All! For the past 2 weeks, I have been fighting with the same

problem!!!   Over the past 3 days, I have spent 10 hours with Adobe's so called

"tech  support" addressing this problem. The last gal I spoke with, just

yesterday,  finally told me that I could get help but it would cost me $39.99

plus  tax,  if I gave her my VISA number etc!!!! Can you believe it? At that 

point, I told her after I had already spent big bucks on CS2, I wanted a 

guarantee that my $40 would buy me the FIX Of course she would not agree to 

that, so I bagged it for the day, but am back at it today. I have paying JOBS

to do, and am stuck in this hole!!!

danspurling, I think your  files and fix would take care of this problem

for me! However, I do not have a  .mac account, therefore cannot access iDisk.

Any chance you could  email those files to me?   

mailto:tyelton61@comcast.net

Thanks to all for addressing this  problem, and for this thread, let's get

to the bottom of  it!!!!

Tami

• 14. Re: I think I can help with your CS2 issues!I
                                    danspurling00 Level 1

Hi Tami-

I emailed you the files, but for you or anybody else who would need the files and doesn't have a mac, here's the links where you can download them directly.

http://files.me.com/danspurling/gavbnm

http://files.me.com/danspurling/i1ifa4

http://files.me.com/danspurling/lmjay8

http://files.me.com/danspurling/acygh7

All these links should work.  They will allow you to download the files directly.  From there, you'll just need to place them in the folder where I mentioned above.

I hopes this helps!

Dan

• 15. Re: I think I can help with your CS2 issues!I

Hi,

Has anyone with WINDOWS been able to use these files?  Does anyone know where to put them?  I looked at my installation on this computer.  On it, I have Creative Sute 4 Web Premium and also Auditon 3 and alos Premiere CS2/Encore CS2 from the Creative Sute Production Studio 2.  I have tried to use this computer as a model for the other computer(s) that I have.  I completely rebuilt it with a new HD and new operating system.  When I did that, I was able to install successfully those two CS2 programs.  I also installed the complete CS4 suite and the Adobe 3.

Would it not seem logical to assume that the authorizations are all separate? I mean I have legitimately authorized programs from 3 different series of programs.  Would I want to over write the legitimate authorization that really do work with these fixes?  How do we know that the folder we put these files actually is the CS2 related folder and not the folders of the programs that actually work properly?

So, I looked all over this compuer to find something similar to:

The files you need are in the folder "CS2 Suite missing files".  Here is where they need to go: (I use a Mac, by the way.  I'm not sure how it compares to the PC)

Open Finder

Open your hard drive

Open Library

Open Preferences

Open Adobe Systems

I did find something called Product Liscences under Documents & Settings/All Users, Windows/Application Data/Adobe Systems/Product Liscences.  So, I went to another computer that had previously had the CS2 Suite on it.  I found that same folder and deposited the four files that I downloaded.  When I tried to start any of the programs, I got the familiar authorize over the Internet window, but when attempted, only produced a "Could not authrize" message.

That leads me to ask just what does "the programs became authorized over the internet automatically" mean?  Normally you must initiate Internet authorization.  Just how does one know that this "automatic authirization" take place?  There seem to be some important details that I am missing.

Mike

• 16. Re: I think I can help with your CS2 issues!I
                                        danspurling00 Level 1

"That leads me to ask just what does "the programs became authorized over the internet automatically" mean?  Normally you must initiate Internet authorization.  Just how does one know that this "automatic authirization" take place?  There seem to be some important details that I am missing."

This means that as I was on the phone with the Customer Service Rep, he showed me where I could download the files, and told me exactly where they needed to go.  I did that, and then started up my CS2 Adobe Photoshop.  It started up without asking me for authorization codes or anything.  I am connected to the internet, so the guy I spoke with said that the program, with those files, came up as authorized.

Now, after thinking about this, it leads me to two thoughts.  One is that the files did actually help make the authorization go through, as if there was an error in the program that wouldn't allow authorization without those file.  The other thought I have is the C.S. guy did something from his side that authorized my serial number, and made it work.  I doubt the second thought though as the guy did seem sincere in helping me, was puzzled by the fact that my program wouldn't work, and was learning just as I was at that moment.  He was one that didn't want to just throw me off to the next guy, but actually did what he could to help.  He even gave me a username and password to get into their server to download those files.....which I was thankful but won't abuse by downloading other programs and such (which I could).

If those 4 files don't help you, than I'm sorry.  I'm just sharing what process I went through in order that mine did.

Cheers.

• 17. Re: I think I can help with your CS2 issues!I

OK.  Your experience really sounds to me as if the 4 files themselves did the authorizing.   I am speculating that when one goes thru the normal on-line authorization, that those 4 files or something like them are downloaded to the appropriate folder on the user's computer to authorize the installation.

I tried that on a WINDOWS XP computer that I have with the entire CS2 Production Suite.  I put them where I guessed they should go.  It did not work.  In fact, the first program I started asked me to initiate on-line authorization.  It did nothing that it did not do before I added the 4 files.  I could have put them in the wrong folder, or the files may be unique to your personal computer, or they may be unique to Mac.

You know, there is one thing that really frosts me about this whole thing.  The geeks are able to get CS2 for free and authorize it with "code gens," but Adobe cannot without making paying customers go thru hell.

My question to other readers here is have you been able to use those 4 files to remedy you situration on either a WINDOWS or MAC machine?  IF a WINDOWS, where did you put them?  Knowing that info would answer a lot of questions.

• 18. Re: I think I can help with your CS2 issues!I
                                            danspurling00 Level 1

Ok....maybe this will help.  I went back to the server that the Adobe C.S. guy sent me to.  I found the files he led me to for MAC, and managed to find the ones for Windows as well.  So here a link to the 5 files that were in the folder (the same folder as was for MAC, only it was titled for WIN).

http://files.me.com/danspurling/plr1n9

http://files.me.com/danspurling/tu3728

http://files.me.com/danspurling/6q4wqd

http://files.me.com/danspurling/gzuq0u

http://files.me.com/danspurling/gwsyjq

These files are in my public mobile me folder.  I'm guessing they are to go into the folder that esotericTT had found in the earlier posting.  Give it a try bro.....let me know if it works.  Again, these files are for the Windows, whereas the ones I set a link to in an earlier posting are for Mac.

Cheers.

• 19. Re: I think I can help with your CS2 issues!I

I tried putting the new files into the folder I originally described and then into a new one labeled as Activation in the Programs Folder for Photoshop CS2.  Neither worked.  I then tried putting them into both.  It still won't work.  I wish I had the time to wipe the C: drive of the computer in question, as I bet it would make it work with a fresh install on a fresh disc.

• 20. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition
                                                MegaTrust

Hey all not sure if you guys are still looking for a solution for this.  Im guessing your attempting to install on Windows XP or Windows Vista OS.  So here are the 2 most common solutions for the problem.  Deals with directory issues.  Adobe actually answered these issues years ago so the techs are going to have no idea about supporting them, but doing a little research would have saved you 4 hours of headaches and frustration dealing with the adobe techs and fearing the worst, then blaming them for missed work HOURS.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332523.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331799.html

If neither of those work, find out word for word the exact error your getting and type it into google, the first 10 results should all be tech posts from adobe's website.  Good Luck!

• 21. Re: licensing stopped working CS2 Adobe Audition

Strange, but most of us appear to have had similar error messages as reported in earlier correspondence, and I am sure that most of us googled endlessley, not only on that message(s), but every similarity.  The two links supplied don't appear to refer our problems exactly.  Aren't they for 64 bit sytems?

They do describe complicated and involved removals of Adobe softeware.  It would be nice if Adobe could make software that did not require an I.T. specialist to remove thier programs.  In my case, I had similar problems when I first obtained CS2, 3 years ago.  At that time, they had tech support people whose first tongue was English and who were not trying to sell you things.  My fresh intall on a new computer would not procede and neither would reinstall attempts.  They walked me thru a multi page uninstall of the partial install before another attempt could be made at install.  This $1,700.00 Dollar suite behaved more like a prototype or beta program than a $1,700.00 program.  It managed to work for 3 years.

The main problem addressed in this series of correspondence has been the response from Adobe that our 3 year old programs were so old as not to warrant attempting to reintall.  Their tech support were caught telling many of us lies, pure and simple.  These programs were quite expensive and can be installed.  They told me that they could not.  I repeat that.  More than one of their tech support people told me that it was not possible to install the program ever again.  They told me that CS2 would not work on VISTA.  Then they told me it would work on VISTA, but.... some nonesense.  In short, they repeatedly lied to customers and told them to dump their $1,700.00 programs and by CS4.  Yes, hours of time was wasted, because the so-called "experts," that is their jobs, gave us untrue answers that sent us in wrong directions.  When one pays the price we paid for these programs, one does not expect to be lied to.

I see two problems here.  One is that CS2 can become completely hosed up, and I find the uninstall complicated and bewildering.  Adobe tries to foist off on its customers the task of performing tasks of I.T. specialists.  I sugest that if you can bare it, Format C: and start over again.  Once you have installed your operating system affresh, install CS2 as the first task. That way, if it goes awry, you can Format C: again without worrying about other programs.  Once you get CS2 installed, it will probably accept athorization automatically via the normal Internet procedure.

The other problem that has complicated this situation is that the tech support people have no idea about ancient programs that are, oh my GOD!, 3 years old.  That gives them the right to refuse escallation to a competent technician, or to anyone in authority, and to lie repeatedly about what the problem is with the greedy and incompetent customer.