0 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2009 10:13 PM by mgrist

Connection problem,

mgrist Level 1

I have created a site using Dreamweaver and my client is updating with Contribute CS3. It was working fine for months, until recently, my client was no longer able to connect. I deleted all of the .lck and .mno file I could find, both locally and on the remote server. I then tried to re-create the connection. The process would not complete.

The process seems to stick at this section:

On the FTP server, what folder contains your website? Choose...
      Select "sustainablelvingtasmania.org.au" comes up on the button (this is the folder on the remote where the files are kept). I click on this button. The text "sustainablelivingtasmania.org.au" is not transmitted into the box as it should be.
      If I go ahead anyway and click "Open" I get the message: "Contribute could not connect because the server is down or not accepting connections. Please contact your administrator."
      If I go back to previous screen (On the FTP server, what folder contains your website?) and don't put in the correct folder name but just click Next, the FTP diagnostics/permissions test runs fine, then this message comes up:
      "Contribute cannot verify your connection information.
      /
      Please contact your administrator for assistance."
      If I type in the correct folder name manually under the page "On the FTP server, what folder contains your website?" I get "Unknown error. Please see log for details." (Log is copied and pasted below) Then I close this screen and am given the request for username and email address. The connection seems to be set up correctly. I need to type the URL into Contribute as it doesn't come up automatically. I navigate to the page, and click Edit Page. It tries to create a draft of the page (this takes quite a while). Then I get the message "Contribute could not connect because the server is down or not accepting connections. Please contact your administrator."

Now normally I would suspect some sort of problem on the server. However, simultaneously I am able to connect using FileZilla, WS_FTP and Dreamweaver (all three in turn), so I know the server is not down or experiencing any problems. I am able to navigate, change and save and upload files just fine with all of these 3 programs.

I have tried these processes (to get Contribute connected) several times over several different days with identical results each time. Today I uninstalled and re-installed Contribute, the problem was still there afterwards, exactly the same.

I have successfully made a connection with Contribute to a completely different site and made changes. The problem only affects this particular site. However I can FTP just fine to the problem site using Dreamweaver, WS-FTP and FileZilla. It's only Contribute which has this problem, and only on this particular site.

I have also run the ftpserverchecker and pasted the information below the Contribute log.

LOG details:

Date:     5/11/2009
      LocalTime:  11:33
      Host:     www.sustainablelivingtasmania.org.au
      Port:    
      LoginID:     tecslt
      Path:     /sustainablelivingtasmania.org.au/
      Passive Enabled:  false
      ProxyHost: NoneContribute Alternate Rename: no
      Contribute Optimized: yes
      ======================== Test Results ==========================

NOTE: "ProFTPD Server" has been detected. For more information on FTP server compatibility issues, please see
      http://www.macromedia.com/support/contribute/ts/documents/proftp.htm
      Login:  SUCCESS!
      Changing Directory To:  /sustainablelivingtasmania.org.au/  SUCCESS!
      Directory Listing Test:  CANCELLED - Incomplete operation.

----------------------- FTP log from the last operation ----------------------
        > CWD /sustainablelivingtasmania.org.au
        < 250 CWD command successful
        > PORT 192,168,1,6,6,140
        < 200 PORT command successful
        > TYPE A
        < 200 Type set to A
        > LIST
        < 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

FTPServerChecker results:

Date:   5/11/2009
      LocalTime:  11:58
      Host:   www.sustainablelivingtasmania.org.au
      Port:   21
      LoginID:  tecslt
      FTP Path:  sustainablelivingtasmania.org.au
      Passive Enabled:  true
      ProxyHost: N\A
      Contribute Alternate Rename: no
      Contribute Optimized: yes
      ======================== Test Results ==========================

NOTE: "ProFTPD Server" has been detected.
      For more information on FTP server compatibility issues, please see:
      http://www.macromedia.com/support/contribute/ts/documents/proftp.htm

Login:  SUCCESS!

Changing Directory To : sustainablelivingtasmania.org.au
      SUCCESS!

Directory Listing Test:  SUCCESS!

Make Directory Test:  SUCCESS!

Change Directory Test:  SUCCESS!

Upload a File Test:  SUCCESS!

Fallback Test for Optimization:  SUCCESS!

Server State Test:  SUCCESS!

File/Directory NameExists Test:  SUCCESS!

File/Directory NOT Exists Test:  SUCCESS!

TimeStamp Test:  SUCCESS!

Rename Test:  SUCCESS!

Move File To Sub Dir Test: SUCCESS!

Move File To Parent Dir Test: SUCCESS!

Change Permission test: SUCCESS!

Cleaning Test File:  SUCCESS!

Cleaning Test Directory:  SUCCESS!

Cleaning Test Directory:  SUCCESS!

Summary: The server is compatible with Contribute 2.01 using the options selected.